Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2013

It was pretty obvious last night that it was going to be one of those "weather the storm" games. I didn't expect the B's to be as flat as they were to start, but I thought they acquitted themselves well, considering it looked like they might be blown out after the first five minutes.

A couple of observations:

1) Regardless whether he has two goals, Marchand's hands and conditioning just aren't there yet, which bodes well for that line when he rounds into shape.

2) I've seen him make the occasional rookie decisions, and I imagine he'll sometimes cause a defensive lapse because of those decisions, but I love the offensive instincts of Dougie. He does a great job of sneaking into the backside.

3) While Tuukka had the skills a couple of years ago, I don't know whether he had the stamina. Here's to hoping that he's ready to be the Number 1, because this team can be as good as any if he is.

I'm waiting to see more out of the third line and wondering if Bourque junior is really the answer there. He's got some skill and lit up the "A" but I'm not sold on him. I've noticed that some of the guys who didn't go overseas during the lockout were showing some fatigue and rust and didn't seem to have their legs last night. I also like what I've seen out of Hamilton and, to be honest, have been pleasantly surprised by what Aaron Johnson brings to the table. He looks a little more capable than a journeyman defenseman.

Chris does well when he has some open ice, the problem is when the bigger guys are just as quick as he is.

It figures that when I'm in Boston, the Bruins are on the road. :mad:

Great start to the season, especially for Dougie. As he settles into a regular pairing, he'll only get better. With the possible exceptions of Nugent-Hopkins and Huberdeau, he's going to make teams rue their selections from that draft.

I'm finding myself wondering if the kid really has great instincts or just is willing to take more chances. In other words, is he just stepping into the play because he sees an open patch of ice in front of him, or does he kind of innately know that it's safe to do it Now but not Then? Because I'm assuming there will be occasions when he gets caught up ice, leading to odd man rushes and goals against the Bruins, but it's amazing how much more he zips into the slot for a scoring opportunity compared to the other D.

And he's making good stretch, outlet passes.

Oh, and we got lucky. LG. We'll be looking at colleges during the lady-o's Spring Break, and there were no games scheduled originally. But they're playing the Habs that week and, even better serendipity, tickets at center ice in the balcony through a reseller ($80 + $20 fee) were actually $45 less per ticket than through the B's directly for the corner balconies.

He's just phenomenally bright, and a genuine student of the game. A lot gets made of his parents' 'Olympic bloodlines' but they're also a family of exceptional intelligence in every sense. Both he and Freddie could have pretended not to play hockey in their admission documents and still held full scholarships at any university on the face of the earth; in fact, Freddie's still doing his BA on the 'Dryden Plan' in and around his time in Worcester, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dougie start to do the same in the next couple of years. He's a kid who thrives on familiarity and stability (the reason he and his brother played for Niagara in the OHL was to spend some time with his grandparents), has no need or desire for money, and he's already a capable NHL defenceman while he's still physically immature. He'll buy a house, settle in, put on about 25lbs, and anchor Boston's D for the next two decades, then retire into a firm and probably be better in the law than he was on the ice.

Geez, you did get lucky! I won't even get to see Cosi Fan Tutte at the Lyric Opera while I'm there... I'll just have to try to catch the game in Toronto on the 3rd.

Going to tomorrow's game vs Buff.

Can't wait.

Hoping #54 is back ..and that they sit bourque, dress mcdermid and promote paille to line #3

This could end up being a fight fest.

Bourque scratched...Mcdermid in...paille got promoted to line #3

just announced

I called for it yesterday..... I am the new Ms Cleo!

Great, the 4th line got a lot slower and the third line just lost some talent. I'd rather they just sat Bourque and put some skilled call-up in that spot. They've already got enough guys in the lineup that can throw mitts.

Bourque scratched...Mcdermid in...paille got promoted to line #3

just announced

I called for it yesterday..... I am the new Ms Cleo!

Great, make some jerk chicken for me.

Really looking forward to tonight's game. I won't miss Bourque but I agree with chippa with replacing him with a skill guy rather than promoting Paille.

I wonder if Ott will be involved in anything??? :wink:

From what I understand, Caron wasn't doing anything before his injury to deserve a look with the big club. As for Ott, he'll be the coward and only accept from Campbell, if he doesn't hide all night.

So, I know it's a Buffalo question...but it happened in the Boston game. Why call Time out with 14 seconds left and a 7-4 lead??? Lindy just trying to rub it in??

That could cause problems NEXT time they play Boston!

He says he called the timeout because McDermid was lined up on one of their skilled guys. Didn't want something happening.

Caron is back. Played last 2 games in Providence.

Bruins called up Jamie Tardif last night. He is having a pretty good year in the A and has earned the call. (21 goals in 39 games) It is emergency call up so he probably wont see the ice though.

So, I know it's a Buffalo question...but it happened in the Boston game. Why call Time out with 14 seconds left and a 7-4 lead??? Lindy just trying to rub it in??

That could cause problems NEXT time they play Boston!

It was because Lindy Ruff thinks guys still act like he did when he played. I'm pretty sure Lane McDermid wasn't going to ragdoll Jason Pominville and cost himself an NHL game check and his coach $10,000 in the process. If I'm Claude then I make sure that if the B's are soundly beating the Sabres next time around that I keep putting my top PP unit out there to run it up.

Edit: Thornton out 7-10 days with concussion. Personally, I don't understand why he obliged Scott in that instance. There is being tough and there is being stupid and with that scrap Thornton seriously puts his effectiveness in jeopardy when he comes back.

Pominville is one of the top defensive players on the Sabres, and he was probably out there for that reason alone. He has played the PK a lot the past several years. Ruff simply wanted to ensure the Bruins didn't rough him up. What's the problem with the time out for that reason?

I was pretty sure the time out came after the empty netter and they were protecting a two goal lead at the time. He was just stuck out on the ice. It's a better reason than running up the score, but you may have remembered it better than I did.