Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikej411

Lightweight mobile shoulder pads for beer league

You guys are fools! Beer league of all places necisitates the most protective equipment you can get. All the yahoos out there who can't skate or turn or stop are dangerous missles. I got steamrolled by one of these and was out 10 months with a concussion. I can't even begin to tell you how many shoulder injuries I've seen as well.

This. While I am confident in my own abilities, I don't feel the same way towards others. Hence why I went back to a cage as well.

That said I've been really impressed with CCMs shoulder pads the last few years. Even their high end range offers a lot of mobility.

I have to agree on the comments about beer league. I can't tell you how many times in open hockey I've been run into hard by somebody who can barely skate. I've tossed around the idea about going shoulder padless up until last year when I had a scary high speed collision with another skater. I'm not sure how the outcome of that would have worked out if I didn't have pads on but probably some form of a dislocation for sure.

With that said, I still like light weight and mobile, I've been using CCM U+ Pro's and last week tried on the crazy lights. After a minute in the crazy lights I grabbed them despite the outrageous price...these things are unreal. Very protective yet they feel like you're skating with no pads on, they're a great option if you're willing to spend the money and I can say they are worth the money. I compared them to the 5030's and they weigh even less than those and protect.

I have to agree on the comments about beer league. I can't tell you how many times in open hockey I've been run into hard by somebody who can barely skate. I've tossed around the idea about going shoulder padless up until last year when I had a scary high speed collision with another skater. I'm not sure how the outcome of that would have worked out if I didn't have pads on but probably some form of a dislocation for sure.

With that said, I still like light weight and mobile, I've been using CCM U+ Pro's and last week tried on the crazy lights. After a minute in the crazy lights I grabbed them despite the outrageous price...these things are unreal. Very protective yet they feel like you're skating with no pads on, they're a great option if you're willing to spend the money and I can say they are worth the money. I compared them to the 5030's and they weigh even less than those and protect.

The crazy lights are worth every penny, imo.

I had to size down on the CLs. I usually wear an XL, had to go down to a L as they were too floppy as well. Luckily I had a manager fit me at Rousseau Sports in Laval QC. Easily the best beer league shoulders I've owned. Super light, exceptionally mobile (don't notice them at all), but also very protective. I separated my shoulder and AC joint previously, and the CCMs have protected me way more than I expected...

I should also note, I tried on about 12 pairs of shoulders (all the good stuff from all the brands) and the CLs were by far the lightest. I matched them up with the CL elbows, and it's a smooth setup. I don't notice that occassional "catch" that I used to get, where the shoulders and elbows would stick on one another. Finally, they're using some high tech padding. The foam is as light after the game as before. The only issue now is that my shirt is completely soaked, but at least that doesn't feel like it's weighing me down..

I just switched from the U+12 to these, the Easton Stealth Lacrosse shoulder pads:

lacrossemonkey_2253_28780421.jpg

For me they feel slightly lighter and more mobile than the U+12, and so far seem every bit as protective. I really liked the U+12 but for some reason the sternum guard kept riding up on my chest during games and poking me in the throat. Wasn't a huge deal but more of a minor annoyance. Definitely my favorite shoulder pads for beer league so far (I've tried over 15 different options over the past few years) and for $45 shipped they were a pretty decent bargain.

Yeah I was hesitant at first as well; most of the lacrosse pads I had seen locally were too minimal for ice hockey - they were basically lightweight foam vests with no high density inserts. The Easton's look really similar in design and construction to hockey pads, just lighter weight and with a split shoulder pad design. I was unsure about the split design at first, but so far it seems to have offered more than adequate protection while giving them incredible mobility in the arms/shoulder area. Most of the interior padding is made up of hex shaped mini-pads, similar to the knee and elbow pads made by McDavid that basketball and volleyball players wear.

exactly why i wear supreme classics with the bicep guard removed. I know they offer little to no protection, but my league requires shoulder pads. I think the supremes may offer a little more protection then the 5030's.

Me too! I see guys wearing junior shoulder pads all the time too, just to meet the requirement.

I do a combo of the Sherwood 9950 and a Mission Thorax shirt. I have never liked any of the shoulder pads I've tried. They make me really hot. This combo, so far, is okay.

I wish I would have tried the CL's, since I think I would have liked them. Before the current combo I got some Warrior Bully's because they looked nicely ventilated, but still i got too hot.

I have often thought about lacrosse pads... never had the nut to try it though.

I have used lacrosse elbow pads since I started playing hockey. I always felt like hockey elbows where too restrictive.

I have a mission thorax shirt onto which I had sewn the caps from a pair of 5030 style shoulderpads. Works great except for the fact I prefer long sleeve under my gear. Should have found a long sleeve padded shirt.

I tried on the CLs yesterday. I liked them but they had very little clavicle protection medially which is where I seem to break mine.

Considering a frankenpad of some type. Good clavicle protection, low shoulder cups, hard sternum protection. For some reason I take a fair number of pucks center mass.

Also want something around the triceps as I get a lot of sticks there. Seems I need elbows and bicep/triceps which overlap to ward of the hackers and slashers.

Having a good shoulder cap that will absorb and redistribute the force of impact will minimize clavicle injuries, since the majority of them are a result of a direct impact on the shoulder and not the clavicle. The CL offers good protection and mobility in one package. I don't believe with today's offerings that you have to sacrifice protection for mobility.

Got the Bauer classics. They are perfect. I also got the Bauer classic elbow pads. The elbow pads are terrible and slip down my arm with ease. Guess ill have to stick with the bulky Bauer Vapor x40 elbow pads, as they dont slip at all

I had those, the shoulder pads bugged me after a while. I'm glad you like them though.

Just figured I'd mention that Sher-wood has an up graded version of the 5030's now. Supposedly they're anti-microbial and moisture wicking which is no big deal, but I liked that they came with the same level of lightweight mobility they added floating sternum and spine protectors.

Some nice touches for an extra 5 bucks.

I had those, the shoulder pads bugged me after a while. I'm glad you like them though.

Just figured I'd mention that Sher-wood has an up graded version of the 5030's now. Supposedly they're anti-microbial and moisture wicking which is no big deal, but I liked that they came with the same level of lightweight mobility they added floating sternum and spine protectors.

Are you referring to the 9950s? If so, where did you see them for $5 more than the 5030s? I've only found them for $20-$30 more.

Why did the Shoulder pads bug you? They are actually really small compared to the Sher-wood 5030 pads, as they are rounded and form to your shoulder, as opposed to the bigger flat shoulder pads on the 5030 . Also what is the upgraded version to the 5030s?

The upgrade to the 5030's is the 9950 - basically the same design, with newer materials and a couple hard plastic pieces on sternum and upper spine.

I have a mission thorax shirt onto which I had sewn the caps from a pair of 5030 style shoulderpads. Works great except for the fact I prefer long sleeve under my gear. Should have found a long sleeve padded shirt.

I've been considering doing something like that for my padded shirt that I have. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the finished product would you? What's your opinion of your work?

I'm using DownLow shoulders right now and liked how light they are. The velcro for the sternum and spine doesn't hold as well anymore so I'm starting to look at different pads. Really starting to look in the direction of lacrosse pads to see if I can find something protective, yet light weight and comfortable.Leaning towards one of these if I actually go with lacrosse pads.

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/stx-lacrosse-shoulder-pads-assult.html

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/stx-lacrosse-shoulder-pad-shadow.html

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/maverik-lacrosse-shoulder-pad-maybach-deuce.html

I'm using DownLow shoulders right now and liked how light they are. The velcro for the sternum and spine doesn't hold as well anymore so I'm starting to look at different pads. Really starting to look in the direction of lacrosse pads to see if I can find something protective, yet light weight and comfortable.Leaning towards one of these if I actually go with lacrosse pads.

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/stx-lacrosse-shoulder-pads-assult.html

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/stx-lacrosse-shoulder-pad-shadow.html

http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/maverik-lacrosse-shoulder-pad-maybach-deuce.html

Stop over at five hole and try on a bunch of pads. You can get decent protection and mobility for way less money, most mid level pads would work just fine. If Andrew or Mike are there, tell them I said hello.