Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smcgreg

Cross between Warrior Draper and Kovalchuk

I started out with the Hall pattern when getting back into the sport this past summer. I found the open face to be too much, so, tried out a Warrior Kovalev and liked it for shooting I felt like the 4 lie and lack of a rocker was hamstringing me at times when stickhandling though, so, switched to a Draper the past couple weeks. My shot has gone to crap though and is much better when I go back to the Kovalev. So, I think I would be happiest with the best of both worlds, a Draper rocker and lie but closed face like the Kovalev. Is there a Warrior option that fits this bill?

Thanks

Maybe the new Warrior Wisniewski pattern is worth a look. I know it was retail in the past but I'm not sure if it still is. If you're not 100% sold on sticking with Warrior, check out Bauer's P106 pattern.

The Kovalev is a Warrior Lie 5. It is the same as the Draper/Kopitar unless you got a 2012 or earlier model stick in which the Draper was offered in Lie 4, 5 or 6. I believe the last stick to offer that was the last generation of the Dolomite. I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a retail Widow or Diablo in the Lie 4 or 6 option...

Also, the Kovalev is an open-wedge heel curve. Similar to the Easton Drury/Parise, Bauer P91A, etc.

Are you sure you have not been using the Kovalchuk pattern from Warrior? That is a Warrior Lie 4, closed mid-curve pattern....

Gionta? maybe. have you tried any toe curves?

Not really. Iginla, Hall/Sakic/Draper and Kovalev. I really like the Kovalev curve, but dang if I don't feel cramped without a rocker. So, I'd like a curve as close to Kovalev as possible without adding another variable into the equation.

Thanks

The Kovalev that I recall was a Drury clone and that has a moderate amount of radius on the bottom and a healthy amount of loft. I don't think you will find a heel curve with a significant amount of radius on the bottom, like the Draper has. The mechanics of the shot on a heel curve don't work that well with a significant amount of radius. The warrior Vanek has the lower lie and moderate amount of loft but is missing the more extreme radius of the Draper.

Maybe the new Warrior Wisniewski pattern is worth a look. I know it was retail in the past but I'm not sure if it still is. If you're not 100% sold on sticking with Warrior, check out Bauer's P106 pattern.

Sorry. Tried Tones and I'm a Warrior guy now. That dagger taper is the shite.

Agreed on the Wiz pattern, though the P106 is going to play very similarly to the Draper, with respect to the loft issue.

I think Steelnation gave the best answer in the P106, Wisniewski if you're looking at Warrior. Chadd's suggestion of the Vanek is up there too, though personally, I think the P106 plays very differently than the Draper with respect to the loft. For me, the added spin on the puck I can achieve with the more gradual heel curve on the P106 provides better control of shot placement.

Sorry. Tried Tones and I'm a Warrior guy now. That dagger taper is the shite.

I know i feel the same way. I use the kovalev now but always looking for a straight heel and mid with a nice toe curve. I play with a weaver now which is a pro stock heel curve straight closed all the way after (great for D) but I know what you mean

The Kovalev is a Warrior Lie 5. It is the same as the Draper/Kopitar unless you got a 2012 or earlier model stick in which the Draper was offered in Lie 4, 5 or 6. I believe the last stick to offer that was the last generation of the Dolomite. I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a retail Widow or Diablo in the Lie 4 or 6 option... Also, the Kovalev is an open-wedge heel curve. Similar to the Easton Drury/Parise, Bauer P91A, etc. Are you sure you have not been using the Kovalchuk pattern from Warrior? That is a Warrior Lie 4, closed mid-curve pattern....

OK, I'll preface this by saying I usually keep my mouth shut so as not to look like an A hole, but damn..... I just looked and you're right Kovalchuk. So, many foreign names that start with a K.

So, now that I have the wrong title for the thread and have looked like a dump A&&......

(uggghhh, I seriously look at those sticks every day going back and forth. Too many concussions... I'll try and modify the title)

Combination Kovalchuk and Draper?

No worries, it is very common for those names to get confused!

So we are looking for a closed-face mid-curve with a Lie 4 and rocker similar to the Draper/Kopitar... Thats a toughie.

If you are sticking to Warrior, I would say give the W14 Chara a look. Only available on newer sticks though. It may be a little shorter and be a little more open that you'd like - but that is all I can think of that is close...

No worries, it is very common for those names to get confused! So we are looking for a closed-face mid-curve with a Lie 4 and rocker similar to the Draper/Kopitar... Thats a toughie. If you are sticking to Warrior, I would say give the W14 Chara a look. Only available on newer sticks though. It may be a little shorter and be a little more open that you'd like - but that is all I can think of that is close...

Appreciated.

Chara, ok, I'll look at that. When you say shorter, you mean blade? Like Iginla? If so, that may be a breaker. The Iginla seemed too short for my liking (and of course the curve too).

"A little" more open might be ok.

Yes, the blade length is short. To me, the Chara was Iginla short, but I only quickly peeked at the curve back in November... I bought a Wisniewski instead.

I believe the Warrior W14 Chara is a complete copy of Bauer's P14 curve. If you have access to that, the Warrior should be identical.

Yes, the blade length is short. To me, the Chara was Iginla short, but I only quickly peeked at the curve back in November... I bought a Wisniewski instead. I believe the Warrior W14 Chara is a complete copy of Bauer's P14 curve. If you have access to that, the Warrior should be identical.

How is the Wisniewksi? Iv'e been thinking of trying it.

The closest Pattern in warrior to what you are looking for is the Gionta (only available on the DT2 i believe)

Maybe try a Bergeron (on the 20K) if you are willing to try something different.

How is the Wisniewksi? Iv'e been thinking of trying it.

Good. Very nifty little pattern. I like trying new patterns (hence why I own a DT2 Wiz and Mako II E28 right now!!!!). The Wiz is like a mix of all of the Warrior heel curves. Depth like a Lidstrom, lie/rocker of a Vanek, etc. Its worth a try if you like heel curves.

i agree with chadd. if you like a closed mid curve with rocker that's the p88. it's not a kinked mid curve like the kovalchuk, it's more like a gradual mid curve, but they are very similar. the w88 has a ton more rocker though.

warrior w88 is the warrior zetterberg pattern. pretty common now.

i agree with chadd. if you like a closed mid curve with rocker that's the p88. it's not a kinked mid curve like the kovalchuk, it's more like a gradual mid curve, but they are very similar. the w88 has a ton more rocker though.

warrior w88 is the warrior zetterberg pattern. pretty common now.

Really? a ton more rocker? Looking at this chart

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-blade-patterns.html

the rocker on the Zetterberg doesn't look as much as the Draper. I guess it depends what part of the blade you look at though.

Thanks to both you and Chadd for the feedback .

Really? a ton more rocker? Looking at this chart

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-blade-patterns.html

the rocker on the Zetterberg doesn't look as much as the Draper. I guess it depends what part of the blade you look at though.

Thanks to both you and Chadd for the feedback .

ton more than the kovalchuk, i should say. the draper has quite a bit more. the only curve i can think of with more rocker is the landeskog and the p106.

actually, the ccm landeskog might be worth a look. mid/toeish like the draper, not as open, tons of rocker.

It isn't as much as Draper but it is the best combination that you are going to find.

OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Not as much as Draper might be fine. Just need more than Kovalchuk without the loft (I think).

Thanks again.

ton more than the kovalchuk, i should say. the draper has quite a bit more. the only curve i can think of with more rocker is the landeskog and the p106.

actually, the ccm landeskog might be worth a look. mid/toeish like the draper, not as open, tons of rocker.

Ahh... I see what you meant. Like I said, trying to limit the new variables right now, so, want to stick with the daggers. I'll likely try W88 to see how it feels. I don't think I necessarily need more, or even as much rocker as the Draper, just more than Kovalchuk.

Thanks again.

Ok, a mid curve with a little rocker from warrior? I would go with the w88

To Chadd and Inno...

Picked up a Zetterberg and tried it in a game for the first time. Had to switch back to the Kovalchuk because I wasn't used to it and flubbed a couple breakaway chances. After sticks and pucks this am though, I think this might be the stick. I still like the Kovalchuk more for shooting, but I don't feel hamstrung with the Zetterberg when moving the puck around or receiving passes that aren't on the tape. The rocker is just what the doctor ordered. Wish it was a bit deeper, but.... we can't have everything, can we. I think a couple more sessions and I'll feel comfortable with it.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

As a diehard Vanek pattern guy (please bring this pattern back to retail) I tried the W88 and it simply wasnt for me.

I am however now intrigued with the Wiz pattern. Have not seen it in person. Curious though.

As a diehard Vanek pattern guy (please bring this pattern back to retail) I tried the W88 and it simply wasnt for me.

I am however now intrigued with the Wiz pattern. Have not seen it in person. Curious though.

Wiz is more P31 than P27 in TPS terms, or Styles vs Darby in Easton terms.