Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Embellishment

My thoughts on the matter of embellishment, is that every player can be guilty of it at some time or another. Now I have a real problem with the players that get checked, flop around on the ice or just lay there like they are dead and do 1 of 2 things. They either get right up and go after the player who hit them, which you just want to say take the hit like a man, and get your payback later with a goal or light him up yourself. Or the second they lay on the ice motionless for a minute, skate off fine under their own power, go to the bench, sit for a sec, and are back on the ice on their next shift playing as hard as they were before. This is a catch 22 because, what is an official going to do, penalize a potential concussed player for embellishment?

Another problem with the high sticking embellishment is that yea arrant high sticks hurt, I'm sure a lot of people on this board that have played hockey have taken a stick to the face and we can all agree it hurts. To throw your head back and flop on the ice like you just got shot or tore your ACL is ridiculous. It reminds me of the NBA or even worse, soccer players who flop on the ground to just stand right up and take the free kick.

Now the refs are overcompensating and starting to give undeserved diving penalties. The Islanders got one in the last game against the Habs. Aucoin got pushed after a whistle, lost his balance and his arms flew up into the air trying to maintain his balance as he fell. It was obvious from the replay that Aucoin wasn't diving. But now after Julien's rant the refs are so afraid that players will make them look bad that they're erring on the side of calling anything that looks vaguely like embellishment. So now instead of the players making them look bad, the refs are making themselves look bad. It's a no-win situation.

Review the questionable embellishment after the game and hand out the suspensions then. I can't stand when Dustin Brown does it, it makes him look ridiculous, especially as the captain of a team.

The other night against Phoenix, Mike Richards was called for a phantom high-sticking against Eckman-Larsonn. The replay clearly shows the stick hit OEL in the upper chest area, OEL then snaps his head back about a 1/2 second after the contact, and goes as far as to push his own helmet off his head with his own hand.

Here is the play...

Review the questionable embellishment after the game and hand out the suspensions then...

That's hardly the solution. Does that mean they shouldn't call any diving penalties and only review them after the game? Then what if the embellishment is to fake a tripping penalty. Do they call the tripping penalty if it might be a dive? You can't just save every call to be reviewed after the game.

That's hardly the solution. Does that mean they shouldn't call any diving penalties and only review them after the game? Then what if the embellishment is to fake a tripping penalty. Do they call the tripping penalty if it might be a dive? You can't just save every call to be reviewed after the game.

I apologize, I meant to say they definitely need to crack down on the stuff during the game, and hand out stiff penalties. I meant to say that in addition to cracking down and stiffer penalties during the game, they should review the embellishments after the games, the way they do with big hits. To the extent where if the person has a "prior", etc...

I apologize, I meant to say they definitely need to crack down on the stuff during the game, and hand out stiff penalties. I meant to say that in addition to cracking down and stiffer penalties during the game, they should review the embellishments after the games, the way they do with big hits. To the extent where if the person has a "prior", etc...

I agree with this.

I think a 2 +10 penalty (previously mentioned) would be harsh. In cases where the ref calls a dive when it's obvious it wasn't, that would suck for that player. But, just sticking with a 2 minute penalty is easier to manage for a bad call.

However, reviewing dive calls after the game could help keep everyone in check in my opinion. If someone really dives, keep track and fine/whatever....

Review the questionable embellishment after the game and hand out the suspensions then. I can't stand when Dustin Brown does it, it makes him look ridiculous, especially as the captain of a team.

Agreed. This was against Dallas last week:

Looks more like Brown got off balance swinging his stick. If that's embellishment, I don't see how it's supposed to fool anyone.

Yea, I dont agree with that being a dive at all... he looked very much off balance. Judging from the commentators, this was clearly a Dallas broadcast.

Yea, I dont agree with that being a dive at all... he looked very much off balance. Judging from the commentators, this was clearly a Dallas broadcast.

Or you could've looked in the top right of the video ;)

I am getting so tired of these dives like honestly you have a short season and you take dives...SMH heres one video showing a few dives from the bruins.

Good example of what a reputation can do -- there's a slewfoot on Marchand in there, regarded as a dive.

What time stamp are you talking about? I didn't see a slew foot in the entire video...just a bunch of dives.

PK suban is the champ for embellishment. is he wins the norris I believe a lot of people will be unhappy

Chara has easily caught up to Subban this season in the embellishment category.

I've never considered Chara a flopper. All I see is guys try to hit him hard -- maybe as payback! -- and sometimes they catch him at an angle that causes him to go down.

Why do you say he's embellishing?

Probably talking about when Eller pulled him down by the back of his pants on Saturday, a play that was easily a penalty and not a flop. Not sure how Chara can be compared to Subban, I've never seen Chara explode himself into the glass after getting hit and immediately grabbing at his head when contact wasn't close to warranting it.

I've never considered Chara a flopper. All I see is guys try to hit him hard -- maybe as payback! -- and sometimes they catch him at an angle that causes him to go down.

Why do you say he's embellishing?

Just a quick YT search turned this up. Imagine how many others there are that I haven't seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8ckLKEl_c

What time stamp are you talking about? I didn't see a slew foot in the entire video...just a bunch of dives.

Nice little kick to the back of his left skate, about 0:38.

Based on the Cap player's reaction, I'd say it was unintentional as he immediately appears to apologize/check on Marchand.

Agree, that wasn't a slew foot, incidental contact.