Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies #77

Hockey Furniture

I am hoping you guys could help out (this was best topic I could find in search) I need a bunch of broken sticks for my uncle, as he is trying to make a table/chair for a chairty event. Any ideas where we can get some? He's called local rinks and I've asked my teams, havnt had much luck. Any help would be appreicated

I've seen old wooden sticks at flea markets going for a few bucks if he wants to put money into it. You could also check garage sales and Craigslist. Otherwise your on the right path with asking teams and rinks. Most of my accumulation came from checking trash bins at the rinks I play at, and guys on my team now give me their sticks when they break. We also have an outdoor inline rink in the area where LOTS of broken sticks can be found, so if you have a place like that check it out.

Same here I get all my sticks from the rink I play in. I always keep my eye out on the benches for them and my teammates too know to give me theirs. I suggested in another thread, try checking the dumpsters and ask the custodians to hold them for you.

I would suggest talking to the janitorial staff at your local rink, offer them some beer for their troubles and I'm sure they will set aside what they can find for you. Also try your LHS, it seems like a pretty common place for customers to abandon things they no longer want.

Apes, check your messages. I live in Pittsburgh and I'm clearing out a bunch of junk because we're moving. I have about 15 broken composite shafts that are going to the curb soon.

I've made folding chairs, lamps, a park bench, washers set, and replaced a patio table and bar stool tops. It all gets donated to a local hockey charity for silent auctions and raffles but I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Question for those of you making furniture out of broken sticks - what kind of screws do you use on composite shafts? Since they're hollow, it seems like there's not much for a regular old wood screw to be able to grab onto. Sheet metal screws? Or will wood screws do OK?

These chairs (SR, INT, JR) are held together with straightened out coat hanger wire. One at the neck, two at the butt, and one at the knees..

11300357495_984e5ee52a_b.jpg

Those are awesome man! Really sharp looking! I'm not that creative lol, I stick to tables and stuff like that!

Question for those of you making furniture out of broken sticks - what kind of screws do you use on composite shafts? Since they're hollow, it seems like there's not much for a regular old wood screw to be able to grab onto. Sheet metal screws? Or will wood screws do OK?

When I make tables and stuff I just do a wood frame and wood legs then I glue the composite shafts onto the wooden frame which is usually just a piece of plywood that I paint black, but you can't see it anyways since it is covered with sticks haha