Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badgerdog24

The new guy is a new goalie.

And a new husband. As such I've been given 'permission' to replace the used pair of Itech RX5's I snagged off Ebay a month or so ago.

They had some minor tears that had been repaired, and all the straps were in O.K. shape. Unfortunately, luck hasn't been on my side. I now sit at three broken straps and/or clips and there are some little holes that reopened on the pads themselves. They still function for what I bought them for, which was getting into goaltending with the lowest initial investment until I was sure that I wanted to, and could, play in net. Sadly, I've become addicted and now am looking to making a bit more of an investment.

I've been out only a dozen or so times, just taking shots and in scrimmages at open-hockey stakes. If I had to try to best describe my style, I would say its definitely more of the 'hybrid-style' of goaltending. I originally worked on butterfly and once I felt like I had the drops down I got a little more aggressive. I'm struggling at getting the whole butterfly-slide down (maybe due to old and worn pads?) which has caused me to end up having to make more reactionary diving, lunging and swatting saves. The extreme flexibility of my current pads helps a lot with being able to throw myself around the crease and would like to stick with something similar.

I'm currently considering the new CCM Extreme Flex 400 and the new Bauer Reactor 2000. Being that both are new or not even available yet, reviews are hard to come by minus the Pro-level gear. Working with limited funding, I'm pursuing the entry level gear. Are there any thoughts or inside information/advice related to either set that someone can provide? Or suggestions of similar gear? I plan on playing in a league this summer (low-level rec league) and still go to a 2-3 open hockey's a week (mostly youth and high school age show up, few older guys. No former pro or NCAA talent) so I would like something that can hold up for at least a few years without breaking the bank ($400 give or take for a max).

Any help is appreciated. Sorry to be that annoying new guy.

Luke

Honestly- I went a bit more expensive on my second set than my first set(I had Reebok 5k pads, 6k gloves), and upgraded to Brian's M-series Pads, and Bauer RX8 gloves. Granted, that's way out of your pricerange, but I believe that in the goalie world, 99/100 times, you get what you pay for. That having been said, Reebok's entry level stuff is pretty solid for what you're after.

My Recommendations: Save and get a slightly higher set (look to spend around 600-700 new), or if you can, sneak over to goaliestore.com and browse their classifieds(That's where I snagged my Reebok set). they normally have some killer deals if you know what your sizing is.

If you do decide to get an entry level set, I would shy away from the Reactors and Extreme flex just because they ARE new, but the Reebok 14k is a really good pad for the price.

Hi Luke,

Would you consider getting another used set of pads as your next purchase? I went through 3-4 pairs of pads in my first year between the pipes because I just wanted to try as much as possible. I would opt for a used set of higher end pads over a brand new entry level set. They will be worked in a bit and will hold their resale value better over time should you want to let them go down the road. Often times I've been able to recoup what I put into the pad.

As for sliding I found it much easier to do it with a loose pad. I wasn't able to when I first started playing because I tried doing the straps up tight (street hockey style) and that didn't allow the pad to rotate properly as I slid across. You may also find it easier to square your shoulders up to the direction you are wanting to slide in before pushing off.

mickz's advice is pretty good. While the quality of entry and "senior" level equipment has been steadily improving, it is still a smart idea to take a look at higher level used gear. You should have no problem finding a set of pro level pads for roughly what you would pay for a new set of the pads you mention. Assuming the pads are in decent shape, they will perform better, last longer, and retain their value better. I'd ask around your rink(s) and see if anyone has recently bought a new set and might have an old one they would let you try before you buy.

As for the butterfly slides, they will come in time. Make sure your t-push and shuffle movements are strong, though, as this will pay you the biggest dividends early on.

One other thing I'll mention is regarding the mask. This isn't an area to skimp, so consider what is protecting your head as you start upgrading your equipment as this will be the most important component. You can get a brand new mask for $150, but you really shouldn't.

Wallzy - looked at the RBK 14k, totally forgot about them, look like could be a good deal. Thanks for the advice.

Mickz - I am considering the used pad route, but where I live there isn't many options. I have to drive down into Illinois to even browse, which is pretty annoying. I'm down here today though so I might take a look. And I'll try loosening up the pads a bit more to encourage the slides.

Evilpepe - Mask is next on the list...seeing as I've developed a reputation of using mine quite often to make save...hahaha.

Ok, picked up 14k's at a Total Hockey down in Illinois, just took em out for the first time...

LOVE EM! The different options for fitting them to my chicken-legs is great and the included knee wraps are a dream. Rebounds went where I wanted them, I slid fairly easily (still to right to left...hip weakness issues) and I never felt a thing.

Thanks Wallzy for the rec.