Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

evansbw

A,B,C,& D divisions in tournaments

I am thinking of getting a bunch of guys I play drop in hockey with together, and entering a tournament. I was wondering what the different tiers are like? Basically just a quick run down of the competitiveness in each level (A,B,C &D). We just want to go out and have a good time, with no chippy play, etc.

Depends on the tournament and region as well. The level of skill could drastically change if it were in Vegas as compared to say Canada. It's always safe to assume A would be former semi-pro/college/high level juniors.

We are from Canada, we are going to the CHE tournament in Las Vegas, 35+ age group, probably put into the "D" division. If this helps, just wondering what to expect.

Thanks..

I don't know what CHE is but for the CanAm tournament in Vegas I went to D were your average rec league players with a few good ones mixed in here and there. Tournaments are always chippy at least that's my experience.

I think the best route is to read the descriptions of each division provided by the tournament organizers. That's what other teams are going to be doing and placing themselves according to those descriptions, hopefully in an honest fashion but that doesn't always happen. I'd agree tournament play tends to be pretty chippy. At the end everyone hops a plane home and probably never sees each other again, so you don't have to worry that someone is going to get an opportunity to get even. That, unfortunately, brings out the worst in a lot of people.

Depends on the tournament and region as well. The level of skill could drastically change if it were in Vegas as compared to say Canada. It's always safe to assume A would be former semi-pro/college/high level juniors.

Don't let tournaments in Vegas fool you because it's Vegas. Those tourneys get players from all over the country and Canada. The A level can be pretty competative. If your just throwing a team together of guys who haven't played as a team D is a safe bet. If everyone is decent go with C. Rember it's Vegas you need to account for the night life and if games are really early or really late. I've seen tourneys run all night, over night and many players showing up hammered, hung over or wore out from the night life.

D = guys that lied the most on the entry form. We played a Can/AM tournament earlier this month and one of the other teams had a guy that played D3 college hockey on their roster, and this was in the lowest division.

Usually, the lower the division the worse the sandbagging but it will happen at all levels. I played in a tournament one year in the 30B and the team we faced in the finals was full of former AHLers and Olympians and one current AHLer. It was the most one sided 5-0 game you have ever seen.

CHE will adjust divisions accordingly. I played in their Phoneix Memorial Day tourney a few years ago. The year before the team I was on was in the 2nd to top division. We were slated to play in that one and in the 3 weeks leading up we lost 3 former D1 guys, we let the director know and they dropped us down 2 divisions. With the CHE tourney's it really depends on who shows up. You could have a team full of former AAA/Junior players and they'll be in the B or C division because 30 teams full of D1 and pro guys decided to come.

you need to account for the night life and if games are really early or really late. I've seen tourneys run all night, over night and many players showing up hammered, hung over or wore out from the night life.

HAHAHA So true. Found out my team for a CAN/AM tournament a few weeks ago could handle the drinking better than most. The tournament was grouped by age, not level of play, though. It was interesting. I wonder how we would have stacked up against some of the better teams in the older divisions.

Chadd and Chippa are right on then money. We play CHE 35+ D and every time there is at least one team that could play AHL. Also always a few guys who could have played for Moscow Dynamo! No choice tho.. if you go higher its a guarantee you'll get smoked. Just go and have fun.