Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogie Oglethorpe

eBay idiot, or not?

gotcha. I highly doubt that he ever gets his starting or asking price though. I have no idea why he runs his auctions this way but that's his choice. all I can figure is that he likes the illusion that he's giving a great bargain, kind of like when Macy's has a 50% off sale. you may be paying only $50 for that sweater but Macy's is still making a hefty profit on it.

I don't want to veer too much off topic here, but he's actually not a bad guy. I've met him in person, did some business with him, & talk shopped about gear and about his approach to selling. He's really just taking advantage of a market thats willing to pony up a good amount of money for pro gear.

eBay is his business, make an him an offer, he'll work with you like shoeshine said.

i have made what i believe are fair offers on some of his gear, he refuses. Why dont you go an offer 50-60$ for that shell, thats what its worth right? lets see if he accept it. I betcha he wont.

I am sure you wont pay 200-250$ for that shell, but i am sure he will find a sucker thatll buy it for that. Thats why he use to have ok prices for gear, he realised that he gets lots of stuff that is rare and people buy it, then tripled and quadrupled his asking prices in the last months.

Its one thing to make money, its another to ''rape'' people, its not illegal but thats just me, i am not able do to that, some people like him are and have no shame.

And we pointing out here for members to watch out and not overpay for pay, hopefully it helps someone.

i have made what i believe are fair offers on some of his gear, he refuses. Why dont you go an offer 50-60$ for that shell, thats what its worth right? lets see if he accept it. I betcha he wont.

I am sure you wont pay 200-250$ for that shell, but i am sure he will find a sucker thatll buy it for that. Thats why he use to have ok prices for gear, he realised that he gets lots of stuff that is rare and people buy it, then tripled and quadrupled his asking prices in the last months.

Its one thing to make money, its another to ''rape'' people, its not illegal but thats just me, i am not able do to that, some people like him are and have no shame.

And we pointing out here for members to watch out and not overpay for pay, hopefully it helps someone.

If people are willing to pay a butt load of money for something, there are going to be sellers taking advantage of those buyers, in Retail or after market on eBay.

Clearly you don't agree with the way he does business and he doesn't agree that your offers to him are on par with what the market will pay.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Yes, this thread is to look out for other members looking to buy on eBay, I was simply saying he's not a bad guy, this is just his business.

No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. If he can get rare items that people are willing to pay a premium for then good for him. People should do some research and decide if a price is fair before making a bid or offer. I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing - he isn't misrepresenting anything. I would never pay his prices, but he does get high prices for many pro stock items.

If you do an advanced search for his completed items you'll see that he does not get anywhere near the $300 he asks, but he has gotten up to $150 for shells (Flyers winter classic shell) and did get $150 for a NYR pro hockey bag. I wouldn't pay more than about $40 as a buyer, but would love to get those amounts as a seller. I'm just curious about where and how he gets the equipment - I'm guessing hitting up different team sales is one of his methods.

Yeah, I can't say I like the prices or agree with that practise but if people are going to pay it, to me that's market value. A couple years ago I cleaned out some sticks and put an old Hull MM Z-Bubble up and someone bid/bought it for almost $200. It means someone was right under him willing to pay that much, but I wouldn't set a price that high for anyone.

To me, the more scummy sellers are the ones that add "NEXUS 20K APX RS MAKO" to any auction they have, regardless of what they're selling.

VTG Retro Kings 3rd... errrrrrr... Pure Hockey SMU

I hadn't looked through all his listings - at those prices I wasn't that interested. Listing legitimate pro stock or rare items honestly, but charging a lot for them is one thing, but misrepresenting items as pro stock is wrong and I definitely disagree with anyone doing that.

Unless he has specifically listed them as Pro Stock in the auction listing that I can't see in the picture, he has not done anything wrong or misrepresented those gloves. They are Bauer 4-roll Pro's in the Kings VTG 3rd colorway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WARRIOR-HUSTLER-BOWLING-GREEN-FALCONS-PRO-STOCK-RETURN-COLLEGE-HOCKEY-PANTS-/121021223875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d6d53c3

Really, $300 pants? And its not about shipping. Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but why are pro-stock pants so much more than their retail counterparts? The trend seems clear that there is much more of a markup for pro-stock pants compared to items such as sticks or gloves. Is their some added feature that explains it?

On the topic of the kings 3rd color way gloves. He never lists them as prostock, so I'm not sure why everyone is up in a fuss about them. They are in the vintage, retro kings colorway.

Can we move onto something besides linking every single one of his auctions?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c2d6d53c3

Really, $300 pants? And its not about shipping. Maybe this is the wrong place for this, but why are pro-stock pants so much more than their retail counterparts? The trend seems clear that there is much more of a markup for pro-stock pants compared to items such as sticks or gloves. Is their some added feature that explains it?

1) see that little "make offer" tab below the $300 BIN? try using that with a fair (and "fair" is a relative term) and see what happens

2) exactly how many pairs of Bowling Green pants have you seen for sale on the interwebs? college gear is notoriously hard to get. the more rare an item the more some people are willing to pay for it.

3) pro stock pants are often available in colorways that aren't available "off the rack" and they are often made in Canada rather than overseas which, imo results in a higher quality product.

Unless he has specifically listed them as Pro Stock in the auction listing that I can't see in the picture, he has not done anything wrong or misrepresented those gloves. They are Bauer 4-roll Pro's in the Kings VTG 3rd colorway.

Neither is listening a box for something, but it still trying to take advantage of careless people. But I guess kids growing up have to learn one way or the other, buyer beware.

There's a few of these shells on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

might be a repost.

On that note:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ZDENO-CHARA-WARRIOR-FRANCHISE-BOSTON-BRUINS-NHL-PRO-STOCK-RETURN-HOCKEY-GLOVES-/121016796558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d29c58e

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-WARRIOR-FRANCHISE-TAMPA-BAY-LIGHTNING-NHL-PRO-STOCK-RETURN-HOCKEY-GLOVES-14-/121014908417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d0cf601

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FILTHY-NEW-WARRIOR-LUXE-ILYA-KOVALCHUK-DEVILS-NHL-PRO-STOCK-RETURN-HOCKEY-GLOVES-/121016040965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d1e3e05

^^ These gloves were all available as SMU's from hockeysupremacy.com a few weeks ago. They all cost $170. The Charas are still available on that site for that price; the others have sold out. In fairness, I can't guarantee that these are the exact same ones, but it's not exactly rocket science to make the connection. The purple Bauer gloves may not have been misrepresentation, but these certainly are - they're not particularly unique or valuable items - any one of us had the opportunity to buy them if we so chose before they sold out - and they're not 'pro stock,' as they were made for that store, with no intent of ever making it to the players in question. I've never had a problem with T-shirt junkie before, but these items/descriptions/pricing are definitely offside.

As far as the pricing concerns in this thread for his other items, I just don't see the issue. The prices are unquestionably high, but anyone selling an item has the right to charge whatever they want for it; just as you, as a consumer, have a right to decide that the price is too high, and not buy it. I've seen items I really liked that he had, and had to pass on them because the price was just too stupid for me to justify, but I don't fault the seller for that - if someone is willing to pay a higher price for an item than I am, he's not wrong to sell it to them instead of me. As long as the items are genuine, and the descriptions are honest, there's nothing wrong with that. Hockey equipment, like any other consumer product, is 'worth' whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Don't think so, saw a couple at a local store, and they're quite short (duh) with a surprisingly high lie. Unusable by most people.

actually the Chara (and others) gloves aren't SMU. they may have never seen the inside of an NHL lockerroom but it's my understanding that they were made by Warrior with every intention of eventually making it to the player. instead of having them sitting around taking up space Warrior sold them to the Hockey Supremacy folks. imo that makes them overstock but not SMU which is completely different.

He sure hates being called out too.

I love hypocrites.

actually the Chara (and others) gloves aren't SMU. they may have never seen the inside of an NHL lockerroom but it's my understanding that they were made by Warrior with every intention of eventually making it to the player. instead of having them sitting around taking up space Warrior sold them to the Hockey Supremacy folks. imo that makes them overstock but not SMU which is completely different.

Completely correct. They were made for the players by warrior, but they made too many. They offered them to hockey supremacy, a one time thing. He's just listing them at profit since they are now very hard to get. I don't endorse it, but it is what it is. But its definitely not misleading.