Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CB1

CCM curves and other general questions

I'm fairly new to looking at and understanding curves, so thought I would ask the experts here!

Background for my questions. My 11 yr old son has switched to the CCM intermediate 60 flex,RBZ 80, NH curve (he was using an Easton Hall curve). Since he has always played D, I think that the "Hall" type curve has helped him shot from the point. As his shot has gotten better, harder and stronger, I think sometimes his shots are going slightly high. I know he has to continue to work on the mechanics in keeping the shot down, but thought maybe a different curve with a slightly less open face would assist along the way. Thus was looking at the Hossa curve from CCM and possibly the Landeskog.

I'm also open for any advice such as stay the course with the current stick and continue to work on the mechanics of the shot. I sometimes hesitate to change too much since we transistioned from junior to intermediate sticks over the summer, but didn't know if a curve transistion would be a huge deal.

So for the guys that are familiar with the CCM curves could you help explain the differences between the Nugent-Hopkins and Hossa curves? Are they the same but the Hossa has a little deeper curve? Depending on the online store websites I look at, it appears that the NH curve opens up slightly more than the Hossa, but other websites show it about the same (maybe attributed to older curve charts?).

I'm also a little confused by CCM's pattern description for the Hossa. They describe it as a "deep curve for power and lift". I undertand the deeper curve can provide extra power (creating more spin on the puck?), but does it also assist in lift? I thought the loft angle (how the blade opens up) provided the extra lift part or is it a combination of the two?

FWIW, and with my untrained eye, CCM's website looks like it could have the Lecavalier curve pattern and the NH pattern mixed up. The curve they have for NH doesn't open up at all.

Thanks for the help!
Brian

Loft and depth are two different ways to assist in lifting the puck. I would suggest keeping with his current curve until he breaks it, but something with less loft is probably a good idea moving forward. A defenseman shouldn't be trying to pick corners with a shot from the point. The shots should be low to create rebounds and deflection opportunities.

CCM's Hossa curve is a clone of the P88 curve from Bauer. It's a mid curve that isn't as open as the P92/Hall/RHN style curves. The Hossa has a different profile with less rocker at the toe and a little lower lie. From my experience, both curves have a very similar amount of curve, but the Hossa/P88/W88 curves don't twist open like the Hall's.

The stuff from CCM about the curve is just marketing. It's always better to compare the curves in person then by pictures online and manufacture descriptions.

If he wants to stick with CCM, I think the Hossa makes sense. Landeskog is going to still be open and the curve is more toward the toe. That said though, with proper technique, practice, and a conscious effort to turn his hands over he should be able to keep the puck down when needed with the RNH.

If he wants to stick with CCM, I think the Hossa makes sense. Landeskog is going to still be open and the curve is more toward the toe. That said though, with proper technique, practice, and a conscious effort to turn his hands over he should be able to keep the puck down when needed with the RNH.

This. I started off using a Ryan curve (pretty open heel curve), but I found my shots were often going high, so I switched to the Iginla and later the Kane (same as Hossa) curve. Having recently picked up a high-end stick with a Richards curve (almost the same as the Ryan) on a great deal, I had to focus on my shot mechanics in order to keep the puck low. Get your son to focus on keeping the follow through low to the ice and turning his wrists over on the follow through to keep the blade closed. If he just whips the puck at the net with the blade open, the puck will always go high. Even with a curve as open as the Richards/Ryan or the Hall/RNH/Sakic, it is possible to keep the puck low through good technique. Now the Drury on the other hand...

I've found that in order to keep shots low with that type of curve, I keep my sticks 1-2" longer than "average," somewhere around the eyebrows. That an form. Form and practice.

I've found that in order to keep shots low with that type of curve, I keep my sticks 1-2" longer than "average," somewhere around the eyebrows. That an form. Form and practice.

Doesn't that mess with your lie though? The toe of the stick must come off the ice?

Thanks for all the help guys!!! I truly appreciate all the comments and feedback. I guess we will stick with his current stick a bit and continue to reinforce the proper shooting technique and get it where it's second nature. Then as you suggested, we'll make a transition to a curve with less loft to help out. He really likes the CCM stick so far, so we will try the Hossa curve as suggested.

Take a look at the Tavares curve. It's really a toned down combination of the NH & Hossa. Opens less than NH at the toe and isn't as deep as the Hossa.

I'd recommend the Lecavalier over the Hossa. The Hossa is so deep he'll probably still have trouble with shots going high.

The Lecavalier is similar to the Inginla, correct? Nice currve, but the RBZ 80 doesn't come in that pattern. I would have to step him up to the RBZ Stage 2 to get that curve in a 60 flex. So you think the Hossa curve is way deeper than the Nugent-Hall? I'll need to see if our LHS has these to compare, but usually they don't carry all the curves.

Take a look at the Tavares curve. It's really a toned down combination of the NH & Hossa. Opens less than NH at the toe and isn't as deep as the Hossa.

I looked at the Tavares, but didn't know if the 6 lie would be too much. I'll have to check, as I need to cut off about 3.5" - 4" of the intermediate stick for him.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! My head is swirling trying to figure out the right thing to do, but learning a lot!