Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer OD1N Project

Oh totally agree. Just saying I think if I had that task I would go for fit after sale but then that would not fit into the ideas they were given. Ahh maybe next time. That scanner thing was pretty neat and if that could be used for skates man that would be worth the price tag I think.

Agreed: the scanning part is the part that could theoretically scale to retail. Pair it with 3D printing, and things could start to get really interesting in the next decade...

So if they can make the equipment fit like a glove? Why not make a boot that is so moldable it takes away all negative space on any foot. That would be something to see!

I guess you won't be able to take them on or off anymore if all negative space would be gone ...

Oh totally agree. Just saying I think if I had that task I would go for fit after sale but then that would not fit into the ideas they were given. Ahh maybe next time. That scanner thing was pretty neat and if that could be used for skates man that would be worth the price tag I think.

VH uses a 3-d scanner for custom speed skate boots (it's probably industry standard though). If there were no negative space, as high as Bauer's boots are, everyone might look like Burmistrov, at best. He misses a lot of ice because of the high boot hop.

Agreed: the scanning part is the part that could theoretically scale to retail. Pair it with 3D printing, and things could start to get really interesting in the next decade...

Read your PM's- I paid you for those blades and you haven't responded. I don't like being ignored...

I actually discussed the 3D scanning for hockey skates with the VH guys and they recommended against it, see below for what they said:

"You are correct it would be more exact but with hockey skates the bottom of the boot must marry with a blade holder, plus there is much more foam, and the hockey boot is very heat moldable, whereas a custom speed skate boot is not heat moldable at all.

We have made hockey skates utilizing this technology, but the cost was incredibly high and almost all of the testers preferred the custom hockey boots made from the foot tracing vs the scanner."

I actually discussed the 3D scanning for hockey skates with the VH guys and they recommended against it, see below for what they said:

"You are correct it would be more exact but with hockey skates the bottom of the boot must marry with a blade holder, plus there is much more foam, and the hockey boot is very heat moldable, whereas a custom speed skate boot is not heat moldable at all.

We have made hockey skates utilizing this technology, but the cost was incredibly high and almost all of the testers preferred the custom hockey boots made from the foot tracing vs the scanner."

no way! this is such an interesting comment!

Did you noticed the 961 looked to be a weave of some sort. Anything new there like that a Curve mask coming?

shooter, interesting... I can see where the outsole would be an issue, but I'd imagine it would be more about marrying the scanned foot to an outsole than directly to the holder.

walker, my guess is that's either a Texallium (ie. purely decorative) top layer under the gelcoat; Hackva's been using it for a while. It is totally possible to gelcoat the top layer and leave it unpained, but fibgrelass (as I understand it, you *never* finish with a layer of carbon or Kevlar, unless you want it to crack immediately or take about a year to sand) tends to look a little more brown, rather than that sharp black.

Read your PM's- I paid you for those blades and you haven't responded. I don't like being ignored...

Seriously? It's the holidays, buddy, and I haven't had power since yesterday morning. You may have heard about a tiny little ice storm that started hitting most of Ontario, I don't know, say, about a day before you posted this? I also told you to wait until I confirmed something, if you recall; you jumped the gun, and you decided to have a little panic attack in public while I was trying to avoid downed trees and power lines while preparing to cook for three households. Rather than taking your Xmas Anxieties out on me, have a glass of egg nog, watch the World Juniors, and imagine all the things in this world that are contingent.

This Ice storm is crazy we just got power back for a while this morning. It may go out again because of some of the trees in the area and now its starting to snow again.

That is pretty interesting about the scanner and the not liking for hockey. Wondering could it be a combination of drawing and scanner?

shooter, interesting... I can see where the outsole would be an issue, but I'd imagine it would be more about marrying the scanned foot to an outsole than directly to the holder.

walker, my guess is that's either a Texallium (ie. purely decorative) top layer under the gelcoat; Hackva's been using it for a while. It is totally possible to gelcoat the top layer and leave it unpained, but fibgrelass (as I understand it, you *never* finish with a layer of carbon or Kevlar, unless you want it to crack immediately or take about a year to sand) tends to look a little more brown, rather than that sharp black.

Seriously? It's the holidays, buddy, and I haven't had power since yesterday morning. You may have heard about a tiny little ice storm that started hitting most of Ontario, I don't know, say, about a day before you posted this? I also told you to wait until I confirmed something, if you recall; you jumped the gun, and you decided to have a little panic attack in public while I was trying to avoid downed trees and power lines while preparing to cook for three households. Rather than taking your Xmas Anxieties out on me, have a glass of egg nog, watch the World Juniors, and imagine all the things in this world that are contingent.

Sorry mate- I saw a few responses on threads since i answered the PM's. Look- don't wanna make a stink here. I just get itchy. Good explanations are all I need to STFU and wait for stuff.

Again- my apologies.

Sorry mate- I saw a few responses on threads since i answered the PM's. Look- don't wanna make a stink here. I just get itchy. Good explanations are all I need to STFU and wait for stuff.

Again- my apologies.

I was told that Bauer is "trying" to get Ovechkin to wear the OD1N skates at the Olympics. The use of the word "trying" confused me. Does that mean that he maybe resisting to wear the new skates for the Olympics? I would also assume that he would want to try them out during the NHL games leading up to Sochi.

I was told that Bauer is "trying" to get Ovechkin to wear the OD1N skates at the Olympics. The use of the word "trying" confused me. Does that mean that he maybe resisting to wear the new skates for the Olympics? I would also assume that he would want to try them out during the NHL games leading up to Sochi.

The fact that the word "trying" is brought up could mean that the skate may not be as good as everyone thinks. If this skate is so remarkable, they shouldn't have to be trying, he should be begging. just guessing, by no means am I right.

With the omission of Philadelphia Flyers' Claude Giroux from Team Canada for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, I wonder if Bauer will select another player to wear its OD1N products or if they will remain with the status quo. If they opt for the former, is there enough time to produce and customize the Protective Body Suit and Skates for the player? If they opt for the latter, I guess they're crossing their fingers that Giroux is named as a replacement?

Also, I know it was mentioned during the Press Conference that some of the players had already started wearing the OD1N products, but I wonder if the ODIN Skates will debut in a NHL game before the Olympics.

The fact that the word "trying" is brought up could mean that the skate may not be as good as everyone thinks. If this skate is so remarkable, they shouldn't have to be trying, he should be begging. just guessing, by no means am I right.

Pro players use off season periods when there's nothing at stake to get used to far less drastic equipment changes, so with Olympic medals on the line, I don't think Ovi or any one else wanting to stay within a comfort zone can necessarily be assumed to be a reflection on the skates.