Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrgretzky99

BlackEdge or Step Steel for new Tuuk Edge Holders

Anyone notice Ovechkins runners on his Vapors last night ? Custom paint job on the skates with black runners in the edge holders 🤔

Those are from a small company that does mainly college and NHL teams. They are supposed to be slightly softer than Step, but harder than Bauer's LS4. A lot of pro's are wearing them and you can get numbers, logo's, etc etched into the steel.

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

Those are from a small company that does mainly college and NHL teams. They are supposed to be slightly softer than Step, but harder than Bauer's LS4. A lot of pro's are wearing them and you can get numbers, logo's, etc etched into the steel.

Well my buddy sent me this pic last night

216726A3-577E-433D-9C16-215958DE5EB3.jpg

These are the promo pics.. 
https://novacapsfans.com/2017/03/22/ovechkins-russian-heritage-night-skates-will-be-auctioned-for-good-cause/

1 hour ago, darkhors said:

do you know what company?  the name?

15 minutes ago, Goonsquad said:

Well my buddy sent me this pic last night

216726A3-577E-433D-9C16-215958DE5EB3.jpg

These are the promo pics.. 
https://novacapsfans.com/2017/03/22/ovechkins-russian-heritage-night-skates-will-be-auctioned-for-good-cause/

Interesting that he swapped Step in there. The original pics showed them with just LS4, but I've seen him with the other steel in his regular skates. 

16 minutes ago, iceman8310 said:

do you know what company?  the name?

I don't know the name. I spoke to a person in the PHEW group on Facebook that some of the members have purchased from. She's an EQM and I believe is affiliated with the company behind the steel. I'd like to get a pair to test them against my Step Blacksteel.

Just to clarify, be careful of Tydans, most of what they sell is painted steel, not DLC coated. I've heard they make DLC, just haven't seen any yet. Of the 50 or so sets sent to me for radiuses, all have been the painted version which is nothing like Blackedge or Step Blacksteel.

2 hours ago, jimmy said:

Just to clarify, be careful of Tydans, most of what they sell is painted steel, not DLC coated. I've heard they make DLC, just haven't seen any yet. Of the 50 or so sets sent to me for radiuses, all have been the painted version which is nothing like Blackedge or Step Blacksteel.

The sets that have come through our shop are coated in DLC.  We've even used pairs as reference samples when requesting a local company coat runners for us.  Though that being said I'm curious as to what the painted sets you've seen look like, as I've only seen the matte-dark grey DLC coated steel come in through our doors.

Got my coated LS3's from eBay yesterday. I'll try them tomorrow, hope the transition isn't too bad.

I didn't do any profiling just a proper sharpening. 

On 3/24/2017 at 2:33 PM, JR Boucicaut said:

It's Tydan.  Been mentioned here several times.

Thanks @JR Boucicaut. I forgot to ask when I was talking to her about the product. She did mention that they are now offering a polished DLC coating now instead of the matte finished one.

On 3/25/2017 at 3:43 PM, stick9 said:

Got my coated LS3's from eBay yesterday. I'll try them tomorrow, hope the transition isn't too bad.

Adjustment wasn't too bad, though I now get why some people don't like the LS3/LS4 steel.

Curious how much weight, if any, the coating process adds. They are noticeably heavier than my LS2's. 

I doubt the DLC process adds any weight to the runner.  Where you say the adjustment wasn't bad just get yourself a second set of LS3 and rotate them and ditch the LS2.  

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Adjustment wasn't too bad, though I now get why some people don't like the LS3/LS4 steel.

Curious how much weight, if any, the coating process adds. They are noticeably heavier than my LS2's. 

edit: Me trying trying to be funny = Huge fail 

keep in mind the LS2s are shorter in height also. 

12 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

All Tyden blades have a DLC coating. The Matte didnt hold as well is all. You may want to call Jim at Tyden for the facts. 

Yes, she mentioned that they switched from the Matte to the polished. I mentioned it because of the post where syinx said they only saw the Matte-Dark finishes come through their shop.

I'm having some issues with the STEP Black steel for the Edge holders. On one runner, the heel portion of the runner keeps losing its edge, to a point where if I try and turn, my foot slips from underneath me. I've had to get them sharpened after every skate (5 so far). Anyone else experience something similar?

All sharpening is done at the pro shop where I purchased the steel. 

On 3/25/2017 at 2:43 PM, stick9 said:

Don't you kinda need to get the 3's profiled? That's what I've heard.

They look to have a different out of the box shape than the LS4 or LS2.

37 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Don't you kinda need to get the 3's profiled? That's what I've heard.

They look to have a different out of the box shape than the LS4 or LS2.

Interesting, was never told it was a must. I may end up having them profiled, but I wanted to give them a go as is to start.

Looking at the two (LS3 vs LS4) is appears as though the LS4's heel has a more traditional looking contour. 

On 3/24/2017 at 7:17 PM, syinx said:

The sets that have come through our shop are coated in DLC.  We've even used pairs as reference samples when requesting a local company coat runners for us.  Though that being said I'm curious as to what the painted sets you've seen look like, as I've only seen the matte-dark grey DLC coated steel come in through our doors.

Here's one that came in today. Not DLC coating, it can be scratched off easily.   IMG_2606_zpswswigtnr.jpg

2 hours ago, stick9 said:

Interesting, was never told it was a must. I may end up having them profiled, but I wanted to give them a go as is to start.

Looking at the two (LS3 vs LS4) is appears as though the LS4's heel has a more traditional looking contour. 

Doesn't matter what you runner you (fusion, ls2, ls3, ls2.1, ccm stuff, step...) all runners should be profiled regardless. Factory job is unacceptable. 

58 minutes ago, Amiroo39 said:

Doesn't matter what you runner you (fusion, ls2, ls3, ls2.1, ccm stuff, step...) all runners should be profiled regardless. Factory job is unacceptable. 

Meh...unacceptable is kinda of a strong statement. I am sure there are some tolerance differences in even the highest quality parts. Question becomes, is that something you can feel on the ice? I tend to think the difference would need to be pretty significant to actually feel it.

FWIW, if I shell out for Step or any other higher end product, they better balls on. That's kind of the whole point, is it not?

3 hours ago, stick9 said:

Your other steel is profiled to a 9' while your DLC LS3 is a 10'.  Sometimes it takes a little while to adjust to the longer radius, but most skaters adapt in a skate or two.  

LS4 has a heel and toe profile similar to LS2.  The LS3 heel and toe is a little higher.  To be honest I've swapped back and forth from LS3 and LS4 and haven't noticed a difference.  

5 hours ago, stick9 said:

Meh...unacceptable is kinda of a strong statement. I am sure there are some tolerance differences in even the highest quality parts. Question becomes, is that something you can feel on the ice? I tend to think the difference would need to be pretty significant to actually feel it.

FWIW, if I shell out for Step or any other higher end product, they better balls on. That's kind of the whole point, is it not?

they should be bang on but factory profile is seriously way off, which is somewhat of a pain. I paid a lot for step black for the edge holders and had to dish out another $35 to get it profiled too...