Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zombies #77

Pond Maintenance

So I grew up with a pond in the back yard and when it came to maintenance my dad would get the axe out to make a hole in the ice and used a standard digging shovel to move the water around, which is very labor intensive.

What are some better ways to aid in the process?

I know an auger would be ideal for making a hole and I've heard that a bilge pump would help with water movement, but I would like some ideas from anyone who does this kind of thing regularly.

There are many simple ways to make a homemade zamboni. Sub pump works well to get the water but in my experience its more about laying the water evenly than just flooding a surface if it already has good ice on it. One of my easiest methods is to

1.drill 1/4" holes spaced about an inch apart in the bottom of 4 or 5 buckets

2.attach a couple of old laundry towels (stacked on top of each other to hold the most amount of water) to a 2x4 that is at least as long as a towel is wide (i think 5' but not sure)

3.attach a rope to each end of the 2x4.

Shovel the ice and then broom it with a push broom to get the ice as clean as possible. Wet the towels down so they are soaked then fill up two or three of the holy buckets with water and place them on the wet towels and start dragging, have your other buckets ready to go when the first set runs out. If you have power and a pump just simply keep filling the buckets as they leak the water out. This will take at least 2 people but it really isn't as much work as it sounds, the more people the less time of course, depending on how much snow you have to shovel. Also tarps can make it easy to keep the surface snow free just make sure it stays cold so nothing melts and refreezes the tarp to the ice. Dont try putting new water down while its snowing or you will have a slushy mess, and the colder it is the better it is to lay new water down.