Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShyGuy

Benching Players - Adult Rec League

I am a new team captain and I recently benched my goalie. My team has two goalies (the backup skates out most of the time) and after seeing my main goalie give up a ton of softies over the past few games, I decided to go with my backup. Soft goals happen but what I have noticed (along with my teammates) is the lack of effort he is putting in. I know this is just rec league, I know it is low-level hockey, but every guy on the team (regardless of skill level) puts in 100% worth of effort.

On a personal level, I feel really bad for having him sit - I have even offered to refund him his fees for the single game - but I felt like it needed to be done. He is obviously pissed and I can't change that.

Has anyone dealt with issues like this? Any advice?

Yikes. Was this nonchalant attitude only for one game or is it an ongoing issue? Did you talk to him to see if maybe he has other stuff in his life that could be going on and causing a lack of focus in the ice? I know you are tbe captain but did you ask anyone else on the team their opinion?

Sounds like a tough situation for sure. Without hearing both sides of the story I find it hard for myself to say whether or not it was the right thing to do. We all have crappy games from time to time. Maybe he was tired of the other skaters failing to back check?

It has been going on for the last 2 - 3 games and a practice that we set up to stay fresh during the holiday break. I thought maybe he was injured and when I asked him, he said he was fine. Before I made any move, I talked about it with two of my assistants (they help me with addressing issues, coordinating practices and tourneys, etc.) and they both brought up the lack of effort. They also told me that others on the bench were also concerned with his play; the ref even came up and asked what was wrong with him.

I don't think it is an issue with back checking; we are pretty good not leaving him high and dry.

The thing is, he played great through the first half and now his level of play is dropping. Our backup is a little better than our starter, but has agreed to skate out unless we need him in net.

Even though we play for fun, we all work hard in wins and losses. And he admitted our level of seriousness for the team exceeds his. I feel like I have an obligation to my guys to make sure we have players willing to play hard, regardless of talent. But at the same time, I don't know if I should have gone about this a different way.

Looking for advise here too, similar issue. We have a bunch of older players on the team (60s) who blatantly are just terrible. While that's part of beer-league (lowest level here), they also have terrible attitude towards team-play and put zero effort in.

Their main concern is equal ice time (because you know, everybody pays the same) and on the ice they just skate from blue line to blue line. Their speed is awful and they cannot even take a pass or anything.

It all exploded last week when we pulled the goalie (4-3 game) and they insisted on being on the ice instead of better players because it is their turn. Shouting ensued and one of them (thankfully) just stormed off.

Do you think this is salvageable or should we have them moved to another team? It is three of them and it happens every game pretty much. When asked whether they could sit out the PP or something they just pretend not to hear and go in the ice, it is extremely frustrating.

i have the idea of adult hockey being, everyone pays the same, so everyone should play the same amount of time. I really dont care much outside generally giving it my all wether or not my team wins or loses, everyone makes the playoffs, and I stand nothing to really "gain" from my victories. I often feel uncomfortable when my teammates tell me to get on the ice over someone else just because I am one of the teams better skaters, but often the guy they jump in favor of me tells me to go, so I just do. Its not that I dont like being competitive, I skate like hell and put my body on the line.

Heres the thing, the skaters that are not that great on my team are, for the most part, trying hard. One of my favorite things to do is set those guys up for goals or get them assists. I think maybe these guys just go against your team chemistry overall from the way you make it sound, and there needs to be some sort of mutual parting of ways. I dont think its disrespectful however for them to want their time on the ice. We are not professional players.

As for the goalie on my team, he lets a lot of softies in, but we usually just rip him for it. I think he likes it for some reason. I think he tries hard, sometimes its hard to tell =)

Most problems like the ones posted can't be fixed during the season. Doing so often leads to conflict that rarely benefits the team. The best solution is usually to replace the players between seasons and move on. You need to make sure that the guys you bring in have the same mindset and will fit in with the rest of your group. If the conflicts are already bad enough, you may need to cut the cord immediately. That will make any personal animosity worse, but those guys will no longer be part of the team.

I would have told him that he looks a little off and tired and maybe he needs a week off to get back to speed. That puts the ball in his court. He knows that everyone is aware of his play and he needs to step it up. If he says he is alright and doesn't need a break let him keep playing and see if he plays better on his own. If he doesn't, pull him aside one on one, and ask him flat out what is going on. If he takes the week off he may have needed the physical and/or mental break. Maybe he is just tired of playing goalie. Ask if he wants to switch off with the back up every other game or so. Remember, goalies are a different breed (no offense)

I can't imagine we'd ever bench a player. Like someone said, everyone makes the playoffs and all have to go to work the next day. We had one guy last year (a newbie) who after got the concept not offside. Not even after the playoffs. It became a rallying cry, a joke and a reason for him to buy a round at the bar that sponsors us. I am one of those guys who isn't the fastest and my talent level isn't epic. So I willingly give up my ice time if the game is on the line or if someone else wants to get in there. That said, I have been sent out there as I am in better shape than some of the people.

I think it matters how the league is set up and run. My team is of the opinion we'd rather be on the same team, have fun and enjoy the game rather than win at the cost of a friendship. That said, there are some teams in the upper division that do take it far more seriously. Look forward to reading more of the responses.

Andy in Peoria

I run my team and would never bench a player. Its beer league hockey and we are supposed be friends first.

friendships > the crappy league championship T anyways.

I've never benched a goalie. We did have a goalie for a short season who didn't try very hard, but he was doing us a favor and we had no other goalie options, so we just played on and our normal goalie was back the next season. Also I don't charge goalies league fees for my team and everyone is fine with that, that could help with goalie morale.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. From all of your comments and my own feelings, I have realized I handled the situation poorly; I'm completely new to this and I am bound to make mistakes. I strive to have a positive-fun locker room and I think we (myself and some of my teammates) may have crossed the line as far as level of seriousness in relation to the league we play in.

If he says he is alright and doesn't need a break let him keep playing and see if he plays better on his own. If he doesn't, pull him aside one on one, and ask him flat out what is going on.

This is usually the course of action I tend to take, but for some reason (I don't know why) I didn't. This is probably the reason I feel bad about benching him.

Maybe he is just tired of playing goalie. Ask if he wants to switch off with the back up every other game or so. Remember, goalies are a different breed (no offense)

When I brought up this whole thing, I asked him if he would switch off with the backup and skate out (the guy is a solid offensive defenseman too) for just the game, but he refused.

I've never benched a goalie. We did have a goalie for a short season who didn't try very hard, but he was doing us a favor and we had no other goalie options, so we just played on and our normal goalie was back the next season. Also I don't charge goalies league fees for my team and everyone is fine with that, that could help with goalie morale.

Our league fees aren't by team, but by individual registration - which I think is stupid. We have only been a team for a couple of season, but I think after this one we will start asking players to pitch in to pay for the goalie's league fees.

friendships > the crappy league championship T anyways.

Our league doesn't even do that. We get the winner put into a paper bracket, nothing on the park district's Web site or in the way of shirts or make-believe trophy. Nothing. :)

I think what you did is ok and you offered to refund his money for the game. If he plays out for the next game I think it's less of an issue. I know as a short time goalie I loved playing but after a little I needed a break to get back on track. This may be what he needs or showing him there is someone just as capable will make.him raise his game.

If the goals are what's costing the game it can take down the team's morale as a whole, even more if you play on a team like mine where you need to win to make playoffs

As far as players we had a puck hog that added nothing to our team although he was a good player. We waited till the end of the season and luckily he said he was going to another team but we were thinking about not asking him back even though he was a good player and a friend. We didn't make it to playoffs that season but were 2-0 and have as many wins this year already.

Everyone secretly wishes they could bench people in beer league, but the truth is wins and losses in beer league dont matter to begin with. If you have two goalies and they will both skate out rotate them every other game.

Our league fees aren't by team, but by individual registration - which I think is stupid. We have only been a team for a couple of season, but I think after this one we will start asking players to pitch in to pay for the goalie's league fees.

Dang, I wish our beer league would start doing it by individual registration. It is a major PITA to collect money from people, and as a team "captain", I have already told the boys that next year it is someone elses turn.

I have eaten part of the team fee for the second year in a row and it sucks. Im not a guy that likes to confront people all that much, I just assume that people are basically honest and will do the right thing and cough up. Boy it has been a lesson in human douchery for me. I like people alot better when they dont owe me money :rolleyes:

We don't even do $ in some of fantasy leagues anymore, cuz the schleps can't even be trusted to come up with a measley $20, nevermind hundreds each!

We don't even do $ in some of fantasy leagues anymore, cuz the schleps can't even be trusted to come up with a measley $20, nevermind hundreds each!

Dude--- this has nothing to do with fantasy hockey.... "silly me" indeed....

He said he can't get the $ from the guys that played, I said we can't even get $20 bucks from guys playing fantasy, nevermind hundreds from guys that don't pay after a season of playing hockey.

Try and keep up.

Dude--- this has nothing to do with fantasy hockey.... "silly me" indeed....

Surprising that a beer league would have a backup goalie. Does he dress during games?

We have two goalies. Half of our team works on the North Slope, 2 weeks on, 2 off, so we have a different goalie every two weeks...

I think the OP is saying that the "backup" goalie skates out when the normal goal is there, he's literally a back up tender incase the normal guy doesnt show...

I think it depends on how serious the team is. I've played on some beer league teams that benched players that took too many penalties and had set PP and PK units, and I've played on others where everything is just for fun. I've had fun on both kinds of teams.

Surprising that a beer league would have a backup goalie. Does he dress during games?

Our 'backup' skates out as a defenseman for most games. He tends goal when the main goalie can't make games.

We can either do team or individual fees. Though the league still checks if you payed individually bc they want it for insurance reasons.

I get paying for goalies but to be honest I wouldn't and maybe that's bc we have a friend that plays net so we don't need to scrounge. But I already pay way too much to play hockey, it's not like they are working they are just playing a different position. If we need to bring in a backup and the league makes them pay then yes I'll chip in. But the league shouldn't be charging people that had to be brought in so a game could be played.

I think it depends on how serious the team is. I've played on some beer league teams that benched players that took too many penalties and had set PP and PK units, and I've played on others where everything is just for fun. I've had fun on both kinds of teams.

I think the only time we've "benched" anyone was after taking their fourth penalty of the game and it was more about having bodies for the next week than anything else. There are times I wish we had a designated PP or PK unit, but then I think about the guys that aren't likely to be on either unit and I wouldn't want to be sitting through it all if I were them.