Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kazin

Shin pad question - thigh protectors

I just purchased a pair of TotalONE shins secondhand (amazing price) and they've cut off the thigh protectors at the top. Here are a few pics...yes, I have sick jammies.

Any suggestions as to how to alter the current ones to have thigh protectors? Is it even necessary (I play beer league)? I was thinking I could cut the ones off of my old shins and sew them/velcro patch them onto the lining on the TOs...

Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

IMG-20140123-00163-1.jpg

IMG-20140122-00161.jpg

I wouldn't say they are "necessary", but certainly personal preference . Many end up cutting them off as they can get caught on the pant hem. Try wearing them without and see if you even notice. If you feel like you must have them, Use a Speedy Stitcher to put the ones from your old shins in.

IIRC JOFA had some PRO level shins back in the 1980's without them and some others with very short ones. As has been said, personal preference. I currently have them removed but wouldn't mind something about 2" long .... I might like them better attached to the liner with a strap to hold it tight to the leg above the knee since I always seemed to have them move when I needed them to be there.

The first thing I do on any shin pad is cut that flap and straps. Once you put socks on, they'll help fold the kneecap back over your knee.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to a drop-in tonight and will see how it goes.

Edit: Who blocks shots anyway ;)

Nobody ever made the hall of fame for their shot blocking ability.

Nobody ever made the hall of fame for their shot blocking ability.

Craig Ludwig sure tried. (Although he is in the Wisconsin Hockey Hall.)

Tried it out tonight. Perhaps owing to bulkier(/heavier?) shin pads, I noticed them slipping down a bit on my leg and as a result, further exposing my thigh/knee area, which was a little unnerving mentally. I think eventually I'll stitch some sort of material on (don't plan on snipping the thigh protectors on my old shins for this), but in the meantime I was thinking of investing in a pair of shin tights (http://www.hockeyworld.com/common/images/products/large/victights.jpg) to keep them up and not make me think my entire knee area is exposed.

They're really comfy though and have a ton of protection (save for the thigh/knee area). I wonder how much my LHS would charge...or what they could even do to adjust them?

Are you using tape to hold them in place now, or just the straps on the pads?

Just the straps. With my old shins I never needed to use sock tape and they stayed pretty well all the while being quite tight.

I've never been a fan of sock tape and I figure these will be a one time cost. Couple of my teammates have them and they seem pretty good.

Generally they slip because the strapping starts to lose it's elasticity and hold. As these aren't new and if you are cranking the strapping up as far as it goes then you might think of getting the strapping replaced or taken in. Taking it in isn't hard to do yourself or a local tailor can do it. Use tape for one skate and see if they slip, if they don't then working on the strapping should fix the slipping. If they still slip then they just might not suit your knee shape.

As other have said before, you need to sort out the slipping problem before worrying about the top protector.

The straps are pretty tight still. Although they are secondhand, they're still in really good condition..but when you go from one35s to T1s there'll be some adjustment.

Electrical tape, interesting suggestion that I may try.