Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CodyTC21

Any tips on how to hockey stop on ice?

I came across with this a little write-up on one of the reddit forum. This looks like a good sequence to take for someone who is looking to learn hockey-stop technique. I like that in the process, you'd also learn and practice few other techniques that are pretty applicable in game and just in ice-skating in general. Props to a guy who goes by the reidt name "BrainTroubles" 

Stop trying to stop all at once like you see hockey players do. Hockey stopping is hard if you don't understand and take the time to learn the fundamentals. It's essentially a three step learning process. Here's a step by step:

1.) Start by standing facing the boards or the bench with your hands on the wall so you can hold yourself up. Stand up straight, feet parallel beneath you. Now, turn your toes inward about 30 degrees or so on each foot so they more or less do this: / . While holding yourself up push your skates away from each other until they are about shoulder width apart or just a bit wider, while keeping them at that same angle to each other. The inside edge should drag along the surface of the ice, and you should shave some snow off the surface. Do this until you can make a good snow pile with each skate, and until you are shaving about the same amount off with each foot. That digging, shaving feeling is what you want to achieve when stopping. So once you get your feet comfortable doing it, it'll translate to stopping.

2.) Once you get that down, time to add in skating. What you are going to do is get a little speed, not a lot, and then do exactly what you did when you were stationary. Toes in, and push your feet apart and dig those inside edges into the ice. This is commonly referred to as a "pie" or a "pizza" stop. Do this over and over and over until you can quickly slow yourself down no matter how fast you are going. Even in full sprint, you'll see guys pizza all the time, even in the NHL. Don't force it, if you are going too fast and don't stop right away or feel like it's taking too long, just dig those edges in a little more and coast until you stop. If you start to spin it means you have more weight on one foot than the other, that's all. Just try to shift your weight so your evenly between both skates.

3.) Once you get that down, time to switch to one foot stops. While skating, instead of pizza stopping, what you want to do is take just ONE foot, and skate with it a little in front of you. While keeping your back skate blade straight, turn the edge of your front skate and dig it in like you would to pizza stop. Don't turn it too quickly or too far, just that 30-45 degrees like you would a pizza stop. Keep some weight on your back foot so you don't accidentally topple. Just dig that front edge in until you come to a stop. Once you start getting the hang of it, start putting less weight on your back foot. As you do, you'll also find that you naturally turn your front blade more. Eventually you will be able to put all your weight on your front foot, turn your blade so it's perpendicular to your travel direction, and lift your back foot completely off the ice.

Congratulations, you've now hockey stopped! Don't worry about doing it with both blades like you see good skaters doing. Once you get familiar with your outside edges, direction transitions, and doing cross overs and such, the two skate stop honestly comes naturally. Don't rush to that, do the little steps first. The most important part of skating is learning the fundamentals and building on them. Don't feel dumb while you teach yourself to pizza stop or learning to skate backwards and such. Trying to do too much is how you get frustrated or worse, injured. Remember, everyone was there at some point. I didn't put on ice skates until I was 23 and I learned to skate in a beginners skate class. With children....small ones. Like single digit age small. I wasn't even the best skater at the end. That is, sadly, a true story.

Here is a pretty decent video showing the process from beginning to end. I sent this to a friend who was just starting out and it helped him out a lot because it showed him the general concept of how to shave the ice.