Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrankieDagz

Waiting for MX3 Skates vs. Picking up Total One NXGs on sale

Any thoughts on if it's a better move to pick up NXGs at clearance price or wait for MX3s to be released? In the market for new wheels, tried on APX2s & NXGs, loved fit of NXGs, didn't like the one piece injected lacing on APX2s which worries me that I may not like MX3s either. New tech worth wait & additional $ or what?

If it were me, get the skates on sale. But I don't need the latest and greatest, either.

Will the most cutting edge of skates make it so your so much better its worth saving the extra $$? probably not plus you said you love the fit of the nxg and a good fit is rare in my book. The NXG is a great skate that i would snatch up.

The major difference in the two skates is the lacing system, liner (maybe), and the LS Edge holder. You can replace the holder if you are actually concerned about that but the LS2 is fine. If you didn't like the lacing system on the APX2s, why spend $200 more to get something you don't want on the MX3s? Go for the NXGs.

Only other thing is you might wait for the MX3 to be released so the NXG comes down even further in price. If you're a common size, anywhere from 8-10, be careful cause they might sell out.

The major difference in the two skates is the lacing system, liner (maybe), and the LS Edge holder. You can replace the holder if you are actually concerned about that but the LS2 is fine. If you didn't like the lacing system on the APX2s, why spend $200 more to get something you don't want on the MX3s? Go for the NXGs.

Only other thing is you might wait for the MX3 to be released so the NXG comes down even further in price. If you're a common size, anywhere from 8-10, be careful cause they might sell out.

Beefed up tendon guard and new reflex tongue inserts as well, but imo the NXG at a decent discount is still better.

Only thing that could sway this is if you are really hung up on the LS Edge holder/steel combo.

NXG is an amazing boot and you can very easily swap in the new tongue inserts and LS Edge if you're dying the have those features. I'm not a huge fan of the silver accents and white comfort edge on the MX3 but that is obviously personal preference.

I feel the same way about silver accents & white comfort edge. Then again not really a fan of all the gold accents on the NXGs lol but the fit is perfect. LS Edge is not important to me & I've never had supreme line so I'm not sure if there's any actual benefit from the tongue inserts. Reason I even posted topic is the NXGs are on sale for $699, MX3s will be $849, if I wait for NXGs to drop further, odds are I won't find my size (9D). Thought $149 price diff might not be enough to justify not getting "newer & better". Figured I'd defer to those more knowledgeable than I.

PS Thank you all for your input!

I don't think anyone is doubting that the MX3s are great skates, his question is whether or not they are worth the upgrade over the NXGs, which are also great skates.

Simple question to you is; Are the new features and look of the skate worth the difference in price to you and does the MX3 fit you the same as the NXG being it has the new lacing system?

I tried the MX3 on over the weekend and will unfortunately have to go with the 190's. I think the new lacing system is really cool but the skate was a bit tighter around the top of my foot with it. The upside of this for me is that I now don’t have to replace the tongues as I had originally planned to.

One thing i can say about the MX3s...They basically felt perfect the first time i skated in them. Never had that sensation before. Even the total ones took a few skates to break in. Felt like new sneakers.

The lacing system has an amazing feel to it as well. When they are tight, they are tight. You can only pull so much before they just stop. Makes it easier for me to get a consistent feel every time i skate.

Only mods i made to them we the blade profile/pitch. Almost too much mobility/agility with the stock 9'. Felt like i wasnt digging in enough.

Spend the extra few bucks, you wont be disappointed.

One thing i can say about the MX3s...They basically felt perfect the first time i skated in them. Never had that sensation before. Even the total ones took a few skates to break in. Felt like new sneakers.

The lacing system has an amazing feel to it as well. When they are tight, they are tight. You can only pull so much before they just stop. Makes it easier for me to get a consistent feel every time i skate.

Only mods i made to them we the blade profile/pitch. Almost too much mobility/agility with the stock 9'. Felt like i wasnt digging in enough.

Spend the extra few bucks, you wont be disappointed.

Man now you're just rubbing it in. LOL! Ive been wanting to use that lacing system since I first saw it on the APX2. So bummed.

I'm still breaking mine in. I went through hell to break in my One95's though, so it was to be expected.

I swapped the tongues out because the button on the stock tongues were killing me right above the ball of my feet.

The lace system is cool, don't know if I receive any better of a fit than standard eyelets though (Haven't baked any 190's to my foot yet)

We will see if I fall in love like I did with my One95's!

I absolutely love the lacing system. I tie them up like a pair of shoes not skates. Like another guy said it helps to get the same feel every time.

Mine felt great after the first skate as well.

Just trying to get used to the profile but it's not that bad.

I absolutely love the lacing system. I tie them up like a pair of shoes not skates. Like another guy said it helps to get the same feel every time.

Mine felt great after the first skate as well.

Just trying to get used to the profile but it's not that bad.

Yes exactly. It's all about consistency. The combination of wax laces and the grippers on the lacing system is perfect. Effortless to lace these things up while getting the same seamless fit. Once they start to break in it's like putting on a pair of basketball kicks every time.

Yes exactly. It's all about consistency. The combination of wax laces and the grippers on the lacing system is perfect. Effortless to lace these things up while getting the same seamless fit. Once they start to break in it's like putting on a pair of basketball kicks every time.

Thats because they reduced the stiffness of the boot for better forward flex. To bad they didn't have the LS3 as the top blade and pitch it slightly forward then there would be nothing to be done out of the box. Well maybe get rid of the Edge holder. I kind of like this boot because of the better flex. Although the price here in Canada is a total joke. All companies need to stop with these 1000 skates....600 for a JR MX3 (not saying for a second it is a bad skate BTW). BUT at 600 A complete rip off. Hence one of the main reasons Canada is down 50% in minor hockey enrollment since 2006! Somebody needs to stop the madness in the equipment prices!

The lacing system is the decisive factor for me. Getting the exact same lace job time after time is great. I was always fiddling around with my TotalOne's, and I would always have problems getting the right and left boot the same. Another benefit is that the lacing system eliminates (at least for me) the need for waxed laces. I'm been using waxed laces for as long as I could remember and it's so refreshing to use regular wide wax free laces. My LHS actually swapped my Bauer laces with the waxes laces and I switched them back.

The lacing system is the decisive factor for me. Getting the exact same lace job time after time is great. I was always fiddling around with my TotalOne's, and I would always have problems getting the right and left boot the same. Another benefit is that the lacing system eliminates (at least for me) the need for waxed laces. I'm been using waxed laces for as long as I could remember and it's so refreshing to use regular wide wax free laces. My LHS actually swapped my Bauer laces with the waxes laces and I switched them back.

Yeah same here. The lacing system is so sweet. I like my skates REALLY tight. MX3 give me that without have to put too much effort into it. Even though they feel very tight there is incredible amount of mobility in them. When im walking to the rink from the locker room they almost feel loose but when you get on the ice you're completely locked in. I may switch the to the LS3 soon as i do like a forward pitch and there's almost not enough blade on the fusions. Cant say enough about these skates. If i could afford it i'd buy 2 more pairs and put them on ice.

I just had the same issue, ended up with the NXG's at almost hald the cost... to me the cost difference outweighed the little benefit of new technology