Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

giogolf

Edge Gauge Issues

Hello All,

I am having trouble with my edge gauge. I am getting conflicting readings when I measure from heel to toe and then toe to heel. I am using the edge checker from "http://edgechecker.com/"

Issue: If I measure the runner with the toe away from me I am showing that I have a slightly high outside edge. If I rotate the skate so the toe is facing me and I recheck with the gauge in the same I have straight edges on the gauge.

So this is what I did to trouble shoot this issue:

1. Tried it on another pair of blades, result same issue

2. Measured my gauge to make sure the components are square as well as the alignment aids, result the gauge is accurate.

3. I made my own gauge out of angled aluminum and checked it for square and I am getting the same results on the 2 runners I am checking...

Please help, I am at a lose here... the only good news is that the sharpening is good enough that I am not noticing any issues when i practice inside/outside skating drills.

Thanks!

I would use a different edge gauge, I've tried blademaster, blackstone and the one you have and the blackstone is by far the best. I used the edge checker and found it very inconsistent, also may want to have your LHS double check their holder.

One thing to check is if there is a groove on the piece with a magnet. I've seen many people slide that piece the length of the blade while checking edges. Doing this will cause the piece to have two grooves worn into it from the blade edges. This will cause your guage to be inaccurate.

Thats really the only thing that I can think of that could cause this, if your edges are square.