Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ktang

Exercises for rotational strength

I have built up my abs over the decades, and now I would like to add rotational strength and explosiveness. I think that would help my sweep shot as I move to the forehand.

Anybody have good exercises for this? I have access to some tubing, and I would like to avoid using the seated rotational abs machine.

depending on your size, a 20 or 30 lb med ball that you can throw against a concrete or brick wall would work. dynamax is a very popular brand. been using it for over 6 years.

depending on your size, a 20 or 30 lb med ball that you can throw against a concrete or brick wall would work. dynamax is a very popular brand. been using it for over 6 years.

OK thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I saw some people training with tubing, but the medicine ball idea looks better (more explosive).

yes. it was used a lot with the junior team I used to train with. There were different sizes and different densities which allowed us to intensify our circuit training because it varied how far the ball propelled back. they didn't use dynamax though, I don't recall the brand.

I wouldn't say it leads to explosiveness, but the pushup where you alternate pinwheeling each arm to the sky does a good job of building rotational strength.

At the moment, no pool access. I don't float anyways.

I have been trying the pinwheeling pushups for about a week now. They seem easy, but maybe if I get some dumbbells it will help.

The medicine ball throws have been pretty tough, especially the explosive part. I'm working my way up the medicine ball sizes.

Thanks all!

If you want cheap, try using an old car tire. Actually just watched an UnderArmour commercial with Taylor Hall using one. Slam it into a wall, off the ground, throw it, grab a sledgehammer and go to town on it, etc. No gym required. Great workout and you don't have to worry about damaging it.

Russian Twists will work. You can use a plate, dumbell or medicine ball. All work well. Plenty of Youtube videos and links for help with the process; Search: "Russian Twists". I use it as part of a regular routine weekly.