Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyal

how to keep visor from fogging?

ive used avision ahead: full face shield, cheap visor, and their more expensive visor. all fogged. i also use shampoo, and lemon pledge (separately), and i also wear an underarmour thin skull hat too keep excess heat on visor. Guess what?? they all still fog. so since i stress about it when im on the bench while it fogs and i wipe, should i just wipe it right before i hop the boards? it doesnt seem to fog once im skating. we can put a monkey in space and land on the moon, but will we make visors that dont fog?!?!?!!?!?!

Lot of kids on our squirt team this year got the visor cages and all had this problem. My son wears sports glasses so these two methods work well for those as well.

1. Longest lasting solution - SCUBA mask anti-fog solution. Follow the directions on the bottle but most are rinse with water, apply the solution with your fingers over the entire surface of the lens (both sides) rinse again with water briefly and wear.

2. Lasts about an hour or more - Spit. Spit enough to lightly coat the lens and add a little water from the tap to said spit. When I say spit, no tobacco, no phlegm. Just normal saliva. Spread the spit/water combo around the surface of the lens and again briefly rinse with water and wear. Not always 100% effective but better than nothing.

Both methods used in SCUBA which work on the ice as well. Kids haven't had an issue with fogging this season. I wanna know when they'll make a visor strong enough for a goalie. Tired of the bars.

"Lot of kids on our squirt team this year got the visor cages and all had this problem. My son wears sports glasses so these two methods work well for those as well.

1. Longest lasting solution - SCUBA mask anti-fog solution. Follow the directions on the bottle but most are rinse with water, apply the solution with your fingers over the entire surface of the lens (both sides) rinse again with water briefly and wear.

2. Lasts about an hour or more - Spit. Spit enough to lightly coat the lens and add a little water from the tap to said spit. When I say spit, no tobacco, no phlegm. Just normal saliva. Spread the spit/water combo around the surface of the lens and again briefly rinse with water and wear. Not always 100% effective but better than nothing.

Both methods used in SCUBA which work on the ice as well. Kids haven't had an issue with fogging this season. I wanna know when they'll make a visor strong enough for a goalie. Tired of the bars."

They will for the goalie as soon as they can price how to not make it fog up. and look like a Scott Pack for a firefighter.

As for the Scuba stuff, I use the product called "Spit." It's sold in the Scuba stores and online. I swear by it with my Scuba masks and Bauer ReCon.

I have found over the years that baby shampoo actually works quite well. Rub a bit on the inside, enough to get a very small lather. Then I wait about 10 mins until it dries a bit, then just wipe off with a soft towel.

Others like body wash or toothpaste, but i haven't had much luck with either.

I've been using dawn clear dishwashing liquid. One drop, smear it all over, then wipe off. I do it before every game. Has worked incredibly well for me on a standard visor....

I wanna know when they'll make a visor strong enough for a goalie. Tired of the bars.

It's been considered. The problem isn't strength; there are already transparent composites that would work just fine, though they are a touch pricey.

The primary problem is ventilation. If you look at the more advanced 'face-hugger' composite masks from the 1970s, for example, they only cover the front of the head, not much of the sides, have tiny backplates, and are riddled with holes-- and goalies still had issues with breathing and overheating in them, even though the position was far less intense, athletically speaking, than it is now. If you simply took a modern mask and blocked off the facial 'window' with something transparent but air-tight, goalies would simply suffocate.

The secondary problem is fogging. If your visor fogs up as a skater, you can just go for a change and wipe it down on the bench; goalies don't have any such luxury. If your mask fogged up as a goalie, you'd be blind and completely defenceless; if you take off your mask voluntarily, it's a 2min DOG penalty and, potentially, a puck to your unprotected head that you never saw coming.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but that composite materials allowing both visual clarity AND ventilation will be required, at fairly modest prices, before it's practical, and that's still a long way off.

furniture polish works perfectly. spray it on, wipe it off, skate like a champ! Lasts one game.

does the avision mask count as a visor ?

Heh, the original one never fogged. The new one wasn't fog so much as condensation. Like actual water droplets. If it was just fog I would have been okay with it because it would almost immediately disappear once I got on the ice for my shift. I abandoned that and went to a visor, which only fogs when I get back into the dressing room after the game (it's like a friggin sauna in our dressing rooms...)

It's all about the ventilation. If there's significant ventilation gap at the top of the visor, then pledge should work like a charm.

Switch to a titanium cage, the only way to go. Visors are like the worst of both worlds, fog up and less protective. Titanium cages are so light you barely know you have one on. They need to make a player cat eye pattern or a half cage.

i've got a bauer shield + glass: the best way to get fog and stay blind. after years of "try this -fail- ok try that -fail again-" 2 weeks ago i started to use shampoo... just normal shampoo. well, it worked quite good for the fog. and with a bit of work, even the view it's ok.

the 1st try was kind a mess, but yestarday i did a good job. clean e no fog for 1h 30'. 

Try washing your shield with soap. I can't remember where I heard this from, but the theory goes, it's similar to how snowflakes form. Snow forms when water vapour freezes onto a particle of dust. No dust, nothing for vapour to latch onto and freeze, so no snow.

So if you clean your shield, there's less stuff for the vapour to latch onto and condense onto your visor. 

Also be careful what kind of cloth you use to clean it or rub in anti-fog compound. Something tougher, like an old terry towel will introduce micro scratches every time you use it. Try to use microfiber or something else that won't scratch and your anti-fog method and your visor will last longer overall.