Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pantherfan

Help, gear eaten by mice!

:sad: so after a 6 month hockey hiatus, I book on some ice-time to shake off the rust, open my bag and I've got a bag of fluff and polystyrene..

At this point I don't know if I can get this sorted on insurance, but I'm sure you can feel my pain after years and years of playing you settle on certain pieces of gear.

My question is, with no real high-end selection of gear available to me at any LHS this looks to be an 'order and see' kind of affair. With that in mind I'd like to stay as close as I can to the gear that I had originally, fit and function wise.

Any help would seriously be appreciated as I've not exactly stayed in the loop with anything for maybe 5-6 years. (I'm still trying to get my head round Bauer having 3 product lines! :facepalm: )

Shins - From what I understand the original RBK 7K's, still had the Jofa logos on. Blue/White design with 3 straps.

Elbows - ^^Same as above

Shoulder - Same again but the 5k.

Helmet - RBK 5k although I was never a fan of the flimsy adjustment so will probably jump ship on this.

Gloves - Bauer 4 rolls, haha I figure 4 rolls are still 4 rolls right?

The rest I think is salvageable, apparently rodents aren't keen on hockey pants.

Yours in desperation..

Bauer 4 rolls are now essentially the Nexus series, there may be some fit differences etc, but that is what that line morphed into.

As for helmets, definitely try on all the newer ones, this is not something you want to approximate. Ive never really used RBK protective so I cant help you on any of those fronts.

I wouldn't limit yourself to comparable items - try on everything you can and see what you like now. With that said, I can give you some suggestions for comparable models and some that I'd try on if you can.

Shins: Warrior Dynasty AX1 and high end Reeboks would be comparable to your old pads as far as volume and size go. I think the Warriors have a nicer liner and strapping system. Personally, I really liked the CCM RBZ Shin pads when I tried them on, but they're slimmer/lighter pad then your old ones.

Elbows: Warrior Dynasty AX1 and high end Reeboks would again be the most comparable pads to your old ones. The Dynasty elbows also have a nicer liner and strapping system than the old or new Reeboks. I've tried on most of the new and upcoming elbow pads and some that stand out are the 2012 Warrior Projekts (light, 3 piece mobility, comfortable and stays secure - what I currently use), CCM RBZ or CL pads (also light 3 piece pads - the Warriors are just a little more comfortable for me) and the upcoming STX Surgeon 500 pads (should be in stores in the spring - 3 piece, very secure neoprene sleeve).

Shoulder: I have no experience with the shoulders you were using - a lot of people really like the CCM RBZ shoulders and the upcoming STX Surgeon pads look nice - those are two that I'd consider if I ever decided to move on from my Farrell's.

Helmet: Try on everything you can and see what fits best. I find the Bauer IMS 7.0 to be the most comfortable for me (basically a tweaked Cascade M11) although it's a little warm for roller (fine for ice). The lightest high end helmet you'll find is the Easton E700.

Gloves: As Stewie said the Nexus gloves are the Bauer 4 roll gloves. A lot of people seem to like the Warrior AX1 gloves which are also 4 roll gloves. Personally, I prefer a tighter fit - go to a store and try on as many gloves as you can.

Losing the equipment sucks and can be expensive, but now is your chance to try on everything you can and upgrade a few things. Why replace everything with comparable items when you may be able to find some items you like even better?

The rest I think is salvageable, apparently rodents aren't keen on hockey pants.

Sorry to be a downer, but my guess is they don't mind pissing all over hockey pants just as they are apt to do to just about anything they walk on. :ohmy:

Sorry to be a downer, but my guess is they don't mind pissing all over hockey pants just as they are apt to do to just about anything they walk on. :ohmy:

Yes, all of your gear are history. The bag too.

But on the bright side, you have now a perfectly good reason to buy brand new gear.

Never actually thanked you guys for the help on this it was much appreciated, think the gear-whore bug has bitten me again though as I'm now back on the hunt :facepalm:

Thanks enablers!

Drop in, had a mouse run out of the LM's bag one time. Live on a river, not uncommon, run traps and poison year round.

IMO, go on a spending spree... I'd love to run new gear & my stuff is relatively new.

^^^Add, not "love to break in new gear", but getting a run at a total re-gear is a nice option. I'd change my elbows.

Love the Warrior AX1 Gloves. Dot grip palm is excellent and the most mobile glove I've ever used. If you want to go Nexus wait until the 8000 comes out with the 37.5 liner. Dries extremely fast with no smell. I had it on the APX2 and highly recommend.

I would go with either the AX1, or a lower level Warrior AX if you plan on getting the Nexus 8000 when it comes out. From what I've heard the CCM Tacks shins are a lot like the old Reeboks.