Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beanhead

Pants with best tailbone/butt area protection?

I currently have a pair of Graf Gs IX pants. The pants are protective for the most part, but they seem to be lacking in protection from falls on the butt. What pants are currently out there that would provide the best protection in this area? I was thinking about the Reebok 20k, but there are no stores in my area that have them in stock for me to look at.

Any suggestions?

The tailbone area on most pants is pretty easy to add additional padding to. Just make a slit in the first layer of fabric and insert some foam pre cut to fit the area. Re sew the opening and you're done. Find a pair of pants that fits you and provides the overall protection you are looking for and add what you need to the tailbone area.

Most pro stock pants have good protection there. Also could look at getting a hockey specific or football based compression short with tailbone padding built in.

go with high end reeboks or late Jofas If you can find them. IF you are in the market for new pants that is.. I have a pair of 2-piece Reebok 7K pants from a few years back and the protection for the tailbone is great.

If you're able to find, go with pro stock Jofas, Jofa 9800 girdle/shell combo or early reeboks which are based upon late Jofas.. They're a bit heavier than the newest pants but they're bulletproof all around.

When my boy started travel at Mite age he mentioned the same thing...We went with a pair of CCM V08 (top of the line for Jr size at the time) and the padding was the best I've ever seen from any brand. after 4 -1/2 years of play...I said its time to move up...We went to Warrior Bonafides...Not the same level of padding down there...but still very nice and I think he has not been falling on the caboose as much...we'll see...

Otherwise I would suggest sewing in your own extra padding. You maybe able to find some foam padding and stich it to the existing padding and wa-la...problem solved. Use a nylon thread of course

go with high end reeboks.

That is what I did and ordered the Reebok 20k. Overall the pant feels very protective. The thigh gaurds feel like they could stop a bullet. Tailbone protection feels good as well.

The one issue I have with the 20k's is the area on each side of the tailbone. There is a gap between the tailbone protector and the hip pad, and that is the area where I tend to fall.

I am thinking of trying the Bauer Nexus 1000 and returning the Reeboks. Anyone have experience with the Bauers?

I just got myself a pair of Reebok PRO Pants (which is how they market the MHP520 in Europe), and the tailbone protection is really strong. Also decent overlap between the hip-pads and the tailbone pad. If you can find them anywhere I suggest you give them a try.

I just got myself a pair of Reebok PRO Pants (which is how they market the MHP520 in Europe), and the tailbone protection is really strong. Also decent overlap between the hip-pads and the tailbone pad. If you can find them anywhere I suggest you give them a try.

520s are fantastic pants, there is a reason they really haven't changed much in the last 15 years.

+1 on Tackla 9000 Air for great butt protection and great protection overall. I never felt anything on falls. Last weekend, I wore CCM RBZ pants and was reminded that the protection doesn't compare with Tackla. I fell on my butt and it stung.

++ for the Tackla 9000 Air. I started with Vapor APX and I felt everything when I hit the ice. The Tacklas are almost as light as the APXs, and I feel like a Ninja Turtle when I fall, tuck and roll. My next pants will be the 5000x PRO from Tackla as well. The mobility on these pants is fantastic!

+1 on Tackla 9000 Air for great butt protection and great protection overall. I never felt anything on falls. Last weekend, I wore CCM RBZ pants and was reminded that the protection doesn't compare with Tackla. I fell on my butt and it stung.

That is surprising. I'm still in a pair of the Fit 09s and they have great protection.

You can't go wrong with the Nexus. Firm fit, snug, an abundance of protection in the legs, hips, lower back, tailbone and kidney. Very light weight and the zips make for extra room dependant on comfort level and stride type. 10/10 IMO. A very reasonable price too.

Do the Tackla 9000's have better protection than the Nexus 1000? The nexus back protection appears to go higher up on the back judging from pictures.

The 9000s actually come up very high all the way around. Any higher and they would conflict with shoulder pads.

I find the 9000s to be true to fit on the waist and hips, the tailbone and backside are more than comfortable and reliable when falling on your side or back. I have not had a bruise since I switched to them. The APX pants left me looking like I had a hip blowout with the bruising and coloration. Tacklas are the only way to go for me at this point.

Yep. And it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find them. It's a shame, they really are excellent pants.

Mine are ten years old, hard to make money when they last forever

Well, I got to a local supplier last night who had Tackla 9000's in stock. I tried them on for comparison with the Reebok 20k and Nexus 1000. Out of those 3 pants, I would say the Nexus 1000's had the best butt protection, so that is what I am going with. The Tackla's left a gap between the tailbone protector and the hip protector, much like the Reebok 20k.

My opinion is based solely on trying on the pants and feeling for gaps and thickness of padding.

Pants tend to break in to the shape of your body and usually many times will fill in the gaps. Tackla is like this for sure.