Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Cage Colour Recommendations

Hey guys, hope I'm not overdoing it with the topics but I am just looking for some advise on cage colours and what would be the most comfortable for a new player and best visibility. I have a CCM helmet that I skated on without a cage or visor but will definitely need before I start a session of any kind.

What is the general consensus? Silver, grey, white, black?

Personally, color really doesn't affect my vision. I have the reakt titanium and the ccm fm580 in white and the jofa480 in silver and I don't even notice the color. The fit and wire spacing affects me more. I suggest taking your helmet with you and trying on some cages to see what fits best and which cage lines up with your eyes for vision. expect an adjustment period with a cage for several games. another option is the fish bowls like the avision ahead mask or the Bauer variants.

P.S. The Bauer titanium had very good vision and I like the matte gray color but with my new helmet, the fm580 in white is a better fit for my face and more comfortable. Supposedly the white is supposed to help with the cage blending into the ice and helping with vision but I can't really say it's any better than the reakt. I like the reakt better for the weight (lighter) and it's slightly slimmer profile. Just wish it was a longer cage and fit my face with the e600 helmet.

I have tried both silver and black cages. For some reason I see better with the black cage. I'm getting ready to order a new Reebok 5K cage in black to replace the silver one that came with the helmet. I guess it's personal preference but for me, I like the black cage better.

As a player, I much preferred the flat grey color of the re-akt cage over everything else (also tried silver/chrome, black and white).

As a goalie, switching to a white cage I find I can track the puck a lot better. Not sure if that's useful to you, I was just surprised it was so much better.

As a player, I much preferred the flat grey color of the re-akt cage over everything else (also tried silver/chrome, black and white).

As a goalie, switching to a white cage I find I can track the puck a lot better. Not sure if that's useful to you, I was just surprised it was so much better.

Thanks for the useful info so far guys.

Optimus, wouldn't this mean a white cage would be better for all positions in tracking the puck? I find the white very hard to come by, which is really strange given the popularity.

Thanks for the useful info so far guys.

Optimus, wouldn't this mean a white cage would be better for all positions in tracking the puck? I find the white very hard to come by, which is really strange given the popularity.

You'd think so, but I actually didn't care for it when I tried it as a player.

All irrelevant I guess now that I've switched to the Avision Ahead fishbowl :)

Flat gray, like the titanium, has worked well for me. I think the location of the cage bars may be more important. I like the RE-AKT, but head shape and helmet and cage size and fit all come into play regarding where the bars line up.

+1 to the Avision Ahead. Much better vision than any color cage, and I didn't notice any real difference in airflow/breathability. The only downside is it's a little harder for teammates to hear you when your talking to them, you just have to remember to talk through the vents and not the visor.

+1 to the Avision Ahead. Much better vision than any color cage, and I didn't notice any real difference in airflow/breathability. The only downside is it's a little harder for teammates to hear you when your talking to them, you just have to remember to talk through the vents and not the visor.

Yea if vision is a top priority but don't want to go to a visor, the AA mask is awesome. Especially since it doesn't fog.

For a beginner planning on playing just pick-up and rec hockey, is a full visor/shield recommended in comparison to a cage?

You do see more cages than clear, why is that?

Cages don't scratch or fog and are low maintenance. They also allow for better ventilation.

I used a full visor once decades ago and it fogged like crazy, but the newer ones like AA are much more fog resistant and optically correct than the early model I tried. Even the best full visors won't breath as well as a cage, you should cover it (in a helmet bag) before putting it in your hockey bag to avoid scratches and even if you take good care of it you'll likely have to replace the lenses due to scratches before you'd have to replace a titanium cage like the Bauer Re-akt or Itech Titanium (the non-titanium cages can have rust problems, but I've never had any rust issues with a titanium cage and they're much lighter than steel cages).

The other reason you see more cages than full visors is for looks - most people think full visors look silly and will chirp you for wearing a "fishbowl".

For lightweight, full protection, great ventilation, very good visibility and low maintenance I'd go for a titanium cage. If you want even better visibility at the expense of some ventilation and additional maintenance and you don't care about comments from other players then you could pick up an Avision Ahead mask.

For me, I found an immediate improvement in being able to track the puck and just see the ice better. I've been using it since June, and haven't gotten any scratches or discoloration to the lens, though I do take pretty good care of it making sure it's in a bag dropping it and such. As far as fogging goes, I do get a little vapor condensation right above the vents near my mouth when I'm breathing really hard, you just have to avoid the temptation to wipe it because once you do, the whole visor will fog up, and the little bit of condensation doesn't affect your vision anyway.

IMO, it's just an illusion that white bars obscure vision less, because they're still opaque. If anything, blending in better with the ice while still hiding the puck behind bars is worse than darker bars that you can always at least distinguish from the ice. (Basically, I'm just saying that if bars of any color are obscuring part of your vision, it's not helpful for them to make it harder to notice that it's happening.)

What Optimus said also makes sense if he's talking about pucks in the air and not on the ice. White bars in the foreground of everything he sees looking up the ice at players provides a better contrast than dark bars except for white jerseys. White bars would be easier to distinguish from flying black pucks, whereas black bars would blend in more with moving black pucks. In my opinion, only clear would help minimize the degree to which the bars actually block the puck.

I just got done with my first "post-retirement" league season and used a half shield with no problems. Almost everybody else wears full face protection, including guys on my team who changed over after getting busted up in prior seasons. I can't stand a metal cage at all...it turns my tunnel vision into pinhole vision. OTOH, I want to make the change before I get busted up and not after more stitches and dental work. I notice that even the $25 modern half-visors almost don't fog at all compared to the last one used 3 decades ago. They also provide totally undistorted vision installed on my 80s & 90s-era CCM helmets. Something like the Bauer fishbowls looks like the best option for next season and a linemate uses Itech, but he does a lot of wiping on the bench (and usually with my rag).

So I'm thinking Avision Ahead Version II, which probably fogs the least, judging by the difference in the grid spacing compared to the original version. Definitely going with clear because that's got to be the one that allows the best vision through the bars.

So I'm thinking Avision Ahead Version II, which probably fogs the least, judging by the difference in the grid spacing compared to the original version. Definitely going with clear because that's got to be the one that allows the best vision through the bars.

I ordered the black one just because you really can't see through the clear bars anyway so might as well match the helmet, I guess.

I think the location of the cage bars may be more important

I was going to say this, reakt cage so far is best for me but i still find i have to go out of my way to keep my head up. when i had a half shield i didnt have to think about it at all bc the bottom half of my vision was way easier to see. Too many jokers out there though and not enough dental insurance....

Thanks for all of the great input guys. With this said, I am a beginner I got a great deal on a CCM resistance 300 helmet but no cage. It is pretty overwhelming going to the local hockey store and seeing the selection of cages and different colors as its not like I can try it out on the ice. What would you recommend as a good cage for this helmet or any helmet for a beginner for that matter that would give the best visibility? Thanks again

I think the Bauer Re-Akt is the best cage out there right now. It's made of titanium so it's extremely light and does not rust. It also has a comfortable chin cup.

Keep in mind that helmet size does not necessarily equal cage size. You may have a medium helmet and need a large cage or vice versa. You want to make sure that when the cage is mounted and the straps are fastened the chin cup lines up well with your chin. If the chin cup is below your chin then the cage is too long and if the chin cup is above your chin then it's too short.

I think the Bauer Re-Akt is the best cage out there right now. It's made of titanium so it's extremely light and does not rust. It also has a comfortable chin cup.

Keep in mind that helmet size does not necessarily equal cage size. You may have a medium helmet and need a large cage or vice versa. You want to make sure that when the cage is mounted and the straps are fastened the chin cup lines up well with your chin. If the chin cup is below your chin then the cage is too long and if the chin cup is above your chin then it's too short.

Thanks for the reply. The re-akt cage looks very nice but it is way more than I want to spend ($80 CAN) when I didn't even spend that much more on the helmet lol. I actually did try the CCM 300 silver cage with thin wires but the shape was too awkward and my line of sight wasn't the best.

I can get my hands on an itech Fantom, which I've heard good things about. Can anyone else vouch for this cage, or any other ccm, bauer, etc?

I know the re-akt is expensive compared to the other cages, but it'll definitely last at least twice as long as a standard metal cage (those will rust out). It should outlast your helmet.

I picked mine up used off a member on here and have no regrets about that. I've also seen them pop up on Kijiji and Craigslist from time to time so check there as well. It doesn't rust so there's no worries there - just replace or disinfect the chin cup (I just washed mine and then sprayed it with peroxide and rubbing alcohol as it was in great condition) and make sure there are no dents ect. (it'd take a very hard hit or slap shot to the face to dent it, but it is possible).

I haven't used an itech Fantam cage, but I believe it came in two versions; regular and stainless. I'd go for the stainless one if you go that route. It won't be as light as the titanium cages, but is more rust resistant than a standard metal cage.

The Bauer 9900 and 9500 are also made of stainless steel and have flat wires like the re-akt. They won't be as light as the re-akt, but are lighter than other non-titanium cages.

If you are undecided, I would argue that the CCM FM580 is a good one to go with. There is a reason the overwhelming majority of high level players that wear cages (NCAA, most Women's Olympic teams) wear this cage. For whatever reason you see very few Bauer Tru-Vision style cages (Reakt, 9900, 7700) used at this level. If they wanted them, they could certainly get them.

Again, not saying the Reakt or equivalent might not work for you. But IMHO, cage weight is a barely noticeable factor (if at all) on the ice.

+1 for the CCM FM580 for vision. However, I switched from the 580 to a Bauer because the vision was comparable, but the chin cup was WAY more comfortable than the CCM.

If you are undecided, I would argue that the CCM FM580 is a good one to go with. There is a reason the overwhelming majority of high level players that wear cages (NCAA, most Women's Olympic teams) wear this cage. For whatever reason you see very few Bauer Tru-Vision style cages (Reakt, 9900, 7700) used at this level. If they wanted them, they could certainly get them.

Again, not saying the Reakt or equivalent might not work for you. But IMHO, cage weight is a barely noticeable factor (if at all) on the ice.

The lower weight of the titanium made a difference for me. The heavier cages were just heavy enough to pull my 5100 helmet down a little in front. I kept the fit snug, but sweat helped it slip just a little.

love my 480/580's. I have used bauer true vision something or other that came with my bauer 5000 and an itech rbe III. I have used black, silver and the true vision which is similar to the re-akt in terms of color. I never noticed the bars really in any of them. I am just so used to a cage that unless a bar was running right through my sight line it wouldn't bother me.