Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davetronz

Blade Movement in Tuuk LS Edge Holders

Hey guys,

I've been seeing an issue with every few pairs of skates with the new LS Edge holders.

I don't have access to a Bauer rep anymore because my own pro shop is too small - so I'm hoping someone else in the industry has some official perspective to share.

Basically, the blades are loose in the edge holder. Re-mounting the blade doesn't seem to help. The blades move side to side, and it seems like the channel in the holder is too wide (or worn out). This usually happens to both skates equally/to the same degree. I usually notice this first in the skate jig (the skate sags). Then, when I remove the skate from the holder to inspect, I can usually move the blades side to side with my fingers.

I've read that you can simply put some teflon tape on the blade in the channel, but this doesn't seem "right" as far as a long-term fix is concerned. I'm also worried about the durability and safety of this for my players.

Is there a recall on these that I or my customers should be aware of? Was this just a certain batch sold at a certain store? A certain model? Is there an approved fix other than replacement?

Mods, feel free to delete or PM me if this isn't kosher or something that is supposed to be "hush".

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

PM Old Trainer Guy. I know he posted about this early on after the release of the Edge holder and the forum basically told him he was nuts.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I've been seeing an issue with every few pairs of skates with the new LS Edge holders.

I don't have access to a Bauer rep anymore because my own pro shop is too small - so I'm hoping someone else in the industry has some official perspective to share.

Basically, the blades are loose in the edge holder. Re-mounting the blade doesn't seem to help. The blades move side to side, and it seems like the channel in the holder is too wide (or worn out). This usually happens to both skates equally/to the same degree. I usually notice this first in the skate jig (the skate sags). Then, when I remove the skate from the holder to inspect, I can usually move the blades side to side with my fingers.

I've read that you can simply put some teflon tape on the blade in the channel, but this doesn't seem "right" as far as a long-term fix is concerned. I'm also worried about the durability and safety of this for my players.

Is there a recall on these that I or my customers should be aware of? Was this just a certain batch sold at a certain store? A certain model? Is there an approved fix other than replacement?

Mods, feel free to delete or PM me if this isn't kosher or something that is supposed to be "hush".

Thanks in advance!

are they fusion runners? They seem to bend very easily.

PM Old Trainer Guy. I know he posted about this early on after the release of the Edge holder and the forum basically told him he was nuts.

he ain't nuts ....the older /more ice time they get ..the more they move around . i am aware ...cause whenever possible , I separate steel from the boot to achieve a more precise sharpening!!

the trigger feature to remove steel is cool and a marketing gimmick ...but for 20 seconds of labour more, you get real screws to really tighten the steel and eliminate any free play !!

• Like 4

he ain't nuts ....the older /more ice time they get ..the more they move around . i am aware ...cause whenever possible , I separate steel from the boot to achieve a more precise sharpening!!

the trigger feature to remove steel is cool and a marketing gimmick ...but for 20 seconds of labour more, you get real screws to really tighten the steel and eliminate any free play !!

Yes, because the "real screws" have never had any issues staying tight or maybe even falling out... Wonder what all the E-pro customers would say about that.

I'm assuming you weren't referring to the LS2 holders as well, because those screws wouldn't make a difference when it comes to lateral play.

20 seconds? Yeah.....not. Try 10 minutes. Longer if they are rusted. I wish everyone would just incorporate an anchor system like Graf does.

20 seconds? Yeah.....not. Try 10 minutes. Longer if they are rusted. I wish everyone would just incorporate an anchor system like Graf does.

...if they are badly rusted it takes 15 seconds ...a quarter turn and the screw snaps! ....pull the blade .done, proper tools provided!

My shop has only seen a handful of loose edge blades in their holders and those are mainly, if not only from junior players whose usage on edge holders is ten times that of a beer leaguer.

Still only seen one case of this. And that particular holder was beat to hell.

I'm seeing maybe 1-2 pairs a day like this, but yes, it seems to be worse when the holders are more "experienced".

Doesn't seem to be localized to Fusion runners. Seeing it with LS2 as well. Haven't seen one with LS3.

• Like 1

I purchased some Edge holders with LS3 steel in them from a Bauer dealer in Australia and had them fitted to my Nexus 1000's, the runners have been slightly loose in the holders from day one, I've been skating on them for a few months and they haven't seemed to get any worse.

Loose runners from day one here too. My skate sharpener showed me when he placed the skate on the skate holder and moved the skate up and down. 10 months later I finally changed everything at no extra charge and salesman suggested I go with lightspeed 2 because he thinks it is still an issue. I didn't because I have faith that Bauer will resolve this issue.

Edited by kharlamov

Is it the plastic or the steel that is out of spec?

Trying to figure this out myself.

I'm going to use a micrometer on the blades and keep a tally the next few times - both when I see the problem and when I don't.

• Like 1

I spoke with Bauer at the Source show about it. And all though there was not widespread issues as JR had said there was some issues and mainly in the pro's oops and Jr skates from my personal situations. The one I had sent back was 3 months old and was almost falling right out. MY understanding as was explained is there was some slight running changes in the mold and it seems to have solved some of the issues I had mentioned. I was told they will continue to monitor it but there was no plan to NOT continue with the "trigger" holder. I can honestly see how it can be an advantage but I still prefer the LS2 with Step blade. But the newer holder I will admit do seem to be fitting tighter and not loosening up as much. I just put some clear tape on the blades of the ones that are loosening. And the others just take them back to get new ones put on. One girl on our team is on her 3rd set of holders and 2 others on their 2nd each.

• Like 1

Any updates on this?  I have a .178mm gap in the front of my holder and a .356 in the rear by the trigger.  Experienced this prob with Custom+ and LS2, and always fixed it with tape. 

Been on LS3, had the skates almost 2 years.  165lbs.  Skating twice a week. 

I'm betting the taller steel might open the holder groove up faster because of the added pressure on the walls from more leverage. 

I've seen a bunch of loose steel with the new edge holders as well. They clearly need to go back to the drawing board. For serious competitive players that are on the ice multiple times per week, the holders don't seem to last beyond 6 months. This and the fact that I couldn't use Step steel were the reasons that I ordered my custom MX3's with LS2 holders. 

• Like 1

Every player on my team either needs new holders or going back to LS 2. And before you say girls can't play or there not hard enough on skates blah blah blah...they just won both major tournaments to capture Provincial/State and League championships. Only been done 3 times since 2004. They really need to look at this. Final game blade falls out due to trigger failure. Luckily another kid in the arena had the same skates. 

I know the NHL and lower trainers love the ease but also know they change holders frequently. Or you could just look at Patrick Kane this year.....switched back to LS2 and Black Step. Coincidence?

• Like 2

On 4/14/2016 at 10:52 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Every player on my team either needs new holders or going back to LS 2. And before you say girls can't play or there not hard enough on skates blah blah blah...they just won both major tournaments to capture Provincial/State and League championships. Only been done 3 times since 2004. They really need to look at this. Final game blade falls out due to trigger failure. Luckily another kid in the arena had the same skates. 

I know the NHL and lower trainers love the ease but also know they change holders frequently. Or you could just look at Patrick Kane this year.....switched back to LS2 and Black Step. Coincidence?

I'm beginning to notice it more and more as well.  With new skates it's not an issue but as they age it develops and gets worse.  OTG have you also noticed that players are complaining they can't hold an edge? I see this on the ones that are really loose.  One of my customers has 4 sets of steel and he was complaining about one set all the time, having me resharpen them over and over.  Turns out just that one set was real loose in the holder. The other sets were tight.

• Like 1

Yes exactly that happening. And another trigger broken yesterday. I wish I had spare parts so i didn't have to cannibalize good holders for parts. I know you can get them because a local store that has an "IN" with bauer has them.

On February 19, 2015 at 0:34 PM, Davetronz said:

Thanks in advance!

Slightly off topic, but I really hope this is never the case on this board. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SirJW said:

So is it best to just not to ever remove the steel and just get them sharpened on the boot?

That would defeat the purpose. I use a CSW holder to sharpen and then put them back in. Seems to work better.