Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xuno

Have any of you ever switched to a softer/less expensive boot?

I know that might be a weird question, haha. Some background on it:

'm not an AMAZING skater. I'm pretty good, but nothing that stands out. I've been in one.9s for a couple years (in a junior size, I have really small feet) and I feel like they're way too stiff for me now because I lost a significant amount of weight.

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but I felt like I wasn't a great enough skater to take advantage of the crazy-stiff one.9s to begin with. Anyways, my question is...have any of you switched to a softer boot and found success? It's a fit issue for me too, I've always regretted not going Nexus because the Supreme forefoot just isn't wide enough for me— after two years of wearing them, I have a huge bunion below my big toe on my right foot. Provided they fit my feet correctly, I was considering something like the Nexus 6000.

Thanks! My apologies if this has been covered already.

you should also try on the new Tacks. I wear Bauer Supreme one60 10.5EE and had the toes punched out and I still have some rubbing on a foot. I think part of the issue for wide feet is that the Bauer toe cap is deeper than the CCM cap and hence you feel the width if its snug. The Tacks felt good toe wise while trying on while they punched my Supreemes...But I didi not liekthe fell/fit around my ankles compared to the bauers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Easton Mako. Unless you've tried them on and ruled them out already, that would be the first choice people should look at :)

'm not an AMAZING skater. I'm pretty good, but nothing that stands out. I've been in one.9s for a couple years (in a junior size, I have really small feet) and I feel like they're way too stiff for me now because I lost a significant amount of weight.

That wouldn't normally be a problem, but I felt like I wasn't a great enough skater to take advantage of the crazy-stiff one.9s to begin with. Anyways, my question is...have any of you switched to a softer boot and found success? It's a fit issue for me too, I've always regretted not going Nexus because the Supreme forefoot just isn't wide enough for me— after two years of wearing them, I have a huge bunion below my big toe on my right foot. Provided they fit my feet correctly, I was considering something like the Nexus 6000.

Softer? Yes. Cheaper, No. ;)

As Optimus says also, you should look at Makos. Definitely softer and also, much more conformable to different foot shapes. in particular though, there are some screamin deals on the first generation Mako out there. I think I saw ~ $250 if they have your size on Hockey Monkey. Also, with the new M8, you might have some success as well, if you were going as high in price as the One 9. If money isn't a huge issue though, I'd just take a look at a Mako II. I had problems with Supremes because of a width problem in the box like you. Makos love my feet though.

My 2 cents.

I also moved to Makos recently and love the ergonomic toe box. The KOR Shift 2's I'd used for years had never bothered me when playing, but after refereeing hours of tournament games in them I started to get pain between the last two baby toes near where the toe box meets the boot. I didn't have this issue with the KOR Shift 1's, but even they weren't as comfortable in the toe box for me as the Mako skates. No skate is going to work for everyone, but the Makos are certainly a unique skate and feel different than a traditional skate and I'd recommend at least trying them on (preferably baked) in a few sizes before making your final decision on skates.

Before deciding on the Makos I did try on some Nexus and Supreme Total One skates as well. The Supremes didn't lock me feet in as well and felt tight in the toe box area. The Nexus skates (I think it was the 1000 model) were comfortable in the toe box, but I had poor heel lock and they felt very boxy and bulky compared to the Mako skates that were more like form fitting running shoes after baking.

I recently made the switch from mid range Vapors to high, low end Mission skates and feel that my skating has improved. The boot is softer, just a little bit of give if I squeeze on the ankle. Although my better skating could also be due to the boot fitting a bit better.

Just curious how much did you weigh before and after your weight loss?

This is actually a perfect little thread. I used to be in a pair of Junior-sized Supreme One.9s myself, and they were incredibly comfortable. But due to my slimmer build/weight I could never really take advantage of the stiffness and they felt limiting on my feet.

I made the switch to the Easton Mako skates and they were incredible and perfect. A bit more give and flexible but still a great amount of support and definitely fit my foot better too. The Mako IIs stiffened up in the right areas giving better support but were still flexible and fit comfortably - much better than the One.9s I wore at first. The only reason why I ended up swapping to VH Skates was to accommodate my mobile arch as well as a couple other foot problems.

Definitely worth a peek.

This is actually a perfect little thread. I used to be in a pair of Junior-sized Supreme One.9s myself, and they were incredibly comfortable. But due to my slimmer build/weight I could never really take advantage of the stiffness and they felt limiting on my feet.

I made the switch to the Easton Mako skates and they were incredible and perfect. A bit more give and flexible but still a great amount of support and definitely fit my foot better too. The Mako IIs stiffened up in the right areas giving better support but were still flexible and fit comfortably - much better than the One.9s I wore at first. The only reason why I ended up swapping to VH Skates was to accommodate my mobile arch as well as a couple other foot problems.

Definitely worth a peek.

Are your mako's the same size as your One.9's?

Just curious how much did you weigh before and after your weight loss?

Started at about 230, I'm at 125 right now and I'm actually trying to come back up to 140 because I feel like I lost too much.

Started at about 230, I'm at 125 right now and I'm actually trying to come back up to 140 because I feel like I lost too much.

Holy balls. How tall are you??

5'8 haha

Holy crap! I'm 5'8" and 135 myself! I went from 115 when I first arrived in college to 135 now in about 2 months. It was all muscle density though, I'm a bit miffed I didn't bulk up more. :(

Are your one.9's a D or an EE

D. :)

I owned a pair of 5.5 EE Bauer One95 skates for a few years and actually bought new Bauer Supreme 190's this year to replace them. Well I didn't like the new supremes, I am down 20 lbs from my college days and I'm not sure if thats the reason, but I kept sliding out on turns so I sold them and actually bought a pair of Nexus 6000.

I have been wearing the Nexus since September and I love them. I think you should definitley give them a look.

I was in jr size One100's for about 2 years and felt that I needed to move to a softer boot, I'm in Nexus 6000's now and am very happy with them. It's difficult to describe the really specific things about them but overall I feel like I have more control. If you do go with 6000's, one thing I'd say is consider the LS3 steel, I replaced the stock steel with it when I had heel lifts put in. Worth the money.

I'm 6' 1" and 171 pounds and I tried a pair of softer skates and found I got too much of a "dragging" feeling from the skates when leaning into them.

Little bit of an update...tried the skates of one of my coworkers at the rink that happened to be my size, I think they were older U+ 04s.

I liked them about 100000000x more than my current skates to the point where I never want to use them again. I would still go up a couple levels in price but damn the difference was incredible in how comfortable I felt on the ice.

Holy dang, congratulations on your weight loss. That must have taken a lot of work!

Little bit of an update...tried the skates of one of my coworkers at the rink that happened to be my size, I think they were older U+ 04s.

I liked them about 100000000x more than my current skates to the point where I never want to use them again. I would still go up a couple levels in price but damn the difference was incredible in how comfortable I felt on the ice.

Goes to show you should get fitted and try on more skates...you don't know what else is out there!!

Thanks! Having access to the ice for free essentially whenever there's a stick and puck/open hockey etc certainly made it easier for me haha

After trying out a bunch of things, I ended up with the Nexus 6000...there's a slight problem now, though.

Felt great in the store, feels great on the ice for the most part, but when I really crank up my speed I get absolutely unbearable pain in my heels. I have pretty bad haglund bumps on both my feet from improperly fitting skates before, and I know they are what is causing the pain. Is there a "best" product to help with that?

After trying out a bunch of things, I ended up with the Nexus 6000...there's a slight problem now, though.

Felt great in the store, feels great on the ice for the most part, but when I really crank up my speed I get absolutely unbearable pain in my heels. I have pretty bad haglund bumps on both my feet from improperly fitting skates before, and I know they are what is causing the pain. Is there a "best" product to help with that?

I would reccomend that you get a custom insolel, I did the same when I got my apx2 skates and they work amazing, no more pain.