Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xuno

Have any of you ever switched to a softer/less expensive boot?

After trying out a bunch of things, I ended up with the Nexus 6000...there's a slight problem now, though.

Felt great in the store, feels great on the ice for the most part, but when I really crank up my speed I get absolutely unbearable pain in my heels. I have pretty bad haglund bumps on both my feet from improperly fitting skates before, and I know they are what is causing the pain. Is there a "best" product to help with that?

Sounds like your heel has still got some movement up and down in the pocket when you are at speed. Various options for you to try outside of changing boots:

- You can get the heel punched

- Bump removed

- An insole may fill up some more volume and allow you to crank down harder on your foot and this would help to stop some heel lift.

- Ezyfit bootis and or stable 26 socks and or ankle gel pads and or custom half / full donuts around the ankle joint to help fill in any negative space around the sides of the ankle.

- Possibly rebaking the skates and getting someone to help you squeeze / clamp the boots around your ankle to try and take out any negative space.

I was actually wearing those at drop-in today and felt great for about 45 minutes, then somehow one of them slipped and I got a blast of the worst pain I've ever felt in skates. Immediately went into the locker room and put my old skates on...pretty sure now that I spent $200 on a confidence issue because I now felt just as good performance wise :(

Sooooooo, I've never regretted a gear decision more than this one. The rubbing on my heel in the couple hours I had the Nexus skates on irritated my Haglund's so badly that to even get my old pain-free skates on, I needed to put both the bunga pads on the same foot over top of a few band-aids.

I had the same issue with my x60s a few years ago. Heel pain when skating faster & more aggressively. What worked for me was the ezee-fit booties. I ended up selling them but it made them usable.