Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Boston Bruins 2015-2016

Why did they get slapped around at the winter classic?

In no particular order:

-Sending Colin Miller down and keeping Joe Morrow and Kevan Miller (both -3 on the day)

-Shuffling the lines too much, they dismantled the Hayes line that was on fire against the Sens

-Dump and chase against a faster team

-Talbot for the love of God, -4 in 11 minutes of ice time.

In my opinion Connolly isn't going to do anything. He is -5 in 36 games and has 13 points. Jimmy Hayes is hot and cold and doesn't play as big as he is. Rinaldo needs to start being more like Rinaldo. The Kevan Miller mistake show and the waiting on Joe Morrow to do anything is getting old. The Bruins need more depth, they are way too vulnerable when Krejci who is not exactly durable. The Bruins of 2011 had depth and grit.

They have depth, it is just all injured. Kelly, Krejci, and Kempainen are all out. Missing 3 centers is tough for any team. Colin Miller is still too casual with the puck and makes too many unforced giveaways. I think he'll be decent but he isn't there yet.

Krejci isn't a depth player he is one of their top guys and Miller is still playing far better than Miller and Morrow. Kampainen and Kelly aren't the depth I'm talking about. Im talking about Going from having and impact player list like this:

Krecji

Marchand

Bergeron

Seguin

Recchi

Lucic

Horton

Ryder

Kelly

Peverley

To:

Marchand

Krecji

Bergeron

Beleskey

Eriksson

Spooner

Hayes

Connolly

Kampainen

Talbot

Ferraro...

That's not the depth to me that's 5 guys at the bottom of the list that arent producing.

I don't know how you can say that 2 core players who know their role and are effective in them; krejci and kelly, aren't considered depth players. What exactly would you consider a depth player?

David Krejci is a Top 6 forward not a depth player, Chris Kelly is a depth player. Having depth and a depth player are different things. As you see in the 2011 roster you will notice that if you put Krejci, Horton, Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron and Seguin in the top 6 you are left with Recchi, Ryder, Peverly, Kelly to rotate in top 6, the 3rd line if you needed to and you still have the Merlot line that can stay put. You can lose a guy and have a guy of a similar caliber to fill in. With the. Bruins roster the way it is now they are almost crippled by losing ONE or two of those pieces of the puzzle. They don't have depth at forward or on defense. There's little reliability and consistency in the defense too.

Chara

Krug

Seidenberg

Miller

C Miller

Mcquaid

You just can't compare that to Younger Chara, Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk and younger Mcquaid.

Hell the Merlot line alone had 62 points between Thornton/Paille/Campbell

Gregory Campbell had 13 Goals and 18 assists for 29 points on the 4th line that year. Brad Marchand, the Bruins leading goal scorer last year had 42 points.

That's exactly what is supposed to happen with a salary cap, teams can't keep an intact roster for five or six years straight. Chicago has had the luxury of a stream of free agents coming to the team because people want to come play with guys like Toews and Kane. They have also chosen their core well and been able to fill in around them after each of their cup wins.

Chicago still has at least two really bad contracts that Bowman signed and the max deals to Kane and Toews are going to make it hard to fill out the roster every year. The best thing for the Bruins is that they have a ton of turnover on the roster next year. If they can make a couple moves, they can do a very fast rebuild.

Between Krecji and Bergeron and the difference of Kane and Toews contracts they are essentially a big time top 3 forwards contract different between the pairs contracts. Almost $7 mil.

The Bruins are in a rebuilding cycle, they aren't going to be as good as they were when they were cup contenders. You can't expect that, it's just not realistic. Just hope that you don't have to go through the extended downward spiral that Chicago did in order to build a winning organization. The Hawks got lucky with Toews and Kane, they are generational talents and most teams will never have more than one at a time. Hell, most teams don't even have one at a time.

If you were to only read this thread, you wouldn't think this team was very much in the playoff picture right now.

They should make the playoffs. I think they are good enough to do that.

They won't advance unless they are able to add at least one top four defenseman. and a quality veteran forward.

Even with that they won't contend for a cup this year unless something crazy happens.

They are where they are because of the mismanagement of the cap and they didn't draft well for the last ten years. Then they screwed up Seguin and Hamilton.

They should be able rebuild quick if Sweeney knows what he is doing, but that is a big if right now.

The big question is going to be if Eriksson is staying or going. He's worth quite a bit but if he left at the deadline he'd also leave big shoes to fill. Now that Mcquaid is most likely out and for an extended period of time w have 3 solid D men in 44, 47 and 33 and the rest is an inexperienced crap shoot.

McQuaid is just an older version of Kevan Miller. I said at the beginning of the year that the Bruins would be a bubble team and I still believe that. They're bringing along some youth and judging by how some of their picks performed at the WJC, I'd say they've got some bright spots on the horizon.

They should make the playoffs. I think they are good enough to do that.

They won't advance unless they are able to add at least one top four defenseman. and a quality veteran forward.

Even with that they won't contend for a cup this year unless something crazy happens.

They are where they are because of the mismanagement of the cap and they didn't draft well for the last ten years. Then they screwed up Seguin and Hamilton.

They should be able rebuild quick if Sweeney knows what he is doing, but that is a big if right now.

The rebuild could be a lot faster if they moved a couple guys at the deadline. I think they would be a lot better off in the long run if they did that, than if they added a couple pieces. Those added pieces are likely to cost them players that they need for the rebuild.

Definitely, the only deals this team should be considering at the deadline are deals for the future. The best non-deal they can make right now is hanging onto Eriksson but I think that depending on how Pastrnak performs in the second half they may decide to part ways with Eriksson for assets at the deadline.

The McQuaid extension that Sweeney inked was puzzling but he is tough to move at that salary and term and injury history The biggest thing they need to address either at the deadline or this summer is to find that next #1 defenseman in waiting.

The rebuild could be a lot faster if they moved a couple guys at the deadline. I think they would be a lot better off in the long run if they did that, than if they added a couple pieces. Those added pieces are likely to cost them players that they need for the rebuild.

I agree any moves they make should be the future. I think if the're in the playoffs and the're sellers at the deadline it will be a hard sell to the fan base.

Heck Columbus just added Seth Jones today for Ryan Johansen. With some youth in the system they could be a contender sooner rather than later.

The Bruins are not in a rebuild, you don't go from a Cup in 11, cup appearance, presidents trophy bla bla bla and miss the playoffs by a hair one year and now they're rebuilding. Do they need things? Yes of course, are they going to win a cup the way the team is playing right now? No but if they can stay healthy and click like they have shown this season with Tuuka getting hot they sure as hell could be very surprising even this year. I'll tell ya I was jealous when I saw the caps pick up Mike Richards today for a Million.

Mike Richards...........just stop. That deal will be mutually terminated by March.

maybe they also acquired a time machine as part of a deal

The Bruins are not in a rebuild, you don't go from a Cup in 11, cup appearance, presidents trophy bla bla bla and miss the playoffs by a hair one year and now they're rebuilding. Do they need things? Yes of course, are they going to win a cup the way the team is playing right now? No but if they can stay healthy and click like they have shown this season with Tuuka getting hot they sure as hell could be very surprising even this year. I'll tell ya I was jealous when I saw the caps pick up Mike Richards today for a Million.

Unfortunately after what Chiarelli did to this team, they are in a rebuild.

In a matter of two and a half years they have lost some key young players. They also got old real quick. Chara and Seidenberg have both dropped dramatically since the 2013 finals. Besides Krug everyone is a 5 or 6 defenceman at best.

They can turn around if the right moves are made.

Unfortunately after what Chiarelli did to this team, they are in a rebuild.

In a matter of two and a half years they have lost some key young players. They also got old real quick. Chara and Seidenberg have both dropped dramatically since the 2013 finals. Besides Krug everyone is a 5 or 6 defenceman at best.

They can turn around if the right moves are made.

Thank you for backing me up. It's easy to look back and see the success but they aren't far from a precipitous decline. Smart moves could speed up the rebuild, bad ones could prolong the downturn.