Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BRUINS_FAN_74

Bauer Speed Plate

on the first page someone asked about speedplate durability, as such I am here because my speedplates in my 1x cracked yesterday during a very mild pickup.

i don't skate often, once a month if i am lucky in southern va, and i have used these no more than 10x since getting them in jan. 

they cracked on the right skate at the arch. my foot started hurting during the skate and i wondered if it was my foot after not skating for a month.

i had to bake the skates twice due to the 1x's being roomier than previous skates, might have contributed to this

in my case i am not enthusiastic about the 1x and am considering getting fitted for the 1s. 

regardless, my speedplates broke and i am looking forward to putting in the other insoles that came with the skate.

It sounds like the same debate that we have about every other piece of gear. Does it fit? If it doesn't fit you, it isn't right. Personally, the speedplate have made my skates way more comfortable. I tried superfeet. and they didn't feel right at all, tons of arch pain. That being said, there are lots of people who had the exact opposite experience. It sounds like the speedplates are myaybe not quite as moldable as advertised, and there is a more specific foot type they fit, but for me, they are just right.

I cannot speak to durability, as I have only had them a few months and am a pretty casual player. We shall see how they hold up...

Anybody try these in CCM Jetspeeds? I have the CCM Medium insoles now and they don't cause me pain but the left skate just doesn't feel quite right so I was looking to try a new insole. I eyeballed the Bauer SP's the last 2 times I was in the pro shop but didn't buy.

• Like 1

I just got some new 1S's.  (7EE, pro stock customs if that matters).

The instructions on these are making me hesitate:

• Bake the skates for 90 seconds
  • Put the Speed Plates in for 90 seconds until the ink disappears
  • Take one corresponding pair out and lace up.
  • Then the other
  • Stand

Is it ok to let that second skate and plate just bake another minute or so while you sort out the first skate on your foot?  This seems tricky.  What's the workaround? Bake the skates with the stock footbed, then bake the plates separately?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I got mine last April with my 1XRs but could never get them to fit properly following Bauers instructions on initial bake with skates and then multiple times on their own.

Id get sore arches and a numb foot within 10 minutes each time.

Recently I decided to give them another go but decided to try moulding them differently and have been able to make them fit perfectly.

I took a hairdryer to them outside the skate and heated them all over until the ink disappeared.

Then I stood on them on my carpeted floor and at the same time with my fingers pushed the speed plate up into my arch and around the contours of my foot while flattening it slightly around my right big toe where it was rubbing.

I think because of my higher arch the speed plate doesn't push up as well when moulding inside the boot.

The result being the speed plate now fits perfectly and makes the skate feel noticeably unresponsive without them.

Really glad I decided to give them another go as I was just going to sell them.

I've got the speed plates in my 1X's and love them. I tried some SuperFeet in the store since I use them in my hiking boots. To me the speed plates felt way better and have held up real well so far. Just make sure to air your gear out every time to dry thoroughly. 

Do Speed Plates change the pitch of your foot at all?  I have gathered by reading this thread that they do not pitch you nearly as forward as SF Yellows but do they change your pitch compared to a stock Bauer insole (specifically the one that comes in the 2009 X:60 skates which is what I am still skating on)?

Also do any X:60 (or similar skate, X7.0/X90) users have Speed Plates that can offer feedback as to sizing as well as performance improvements when used with these older technology skates?

I have a 7D X:60 (and a 7D X7.0 BNIB in reserve for my next skate) so I assume I would order a 7D speed plate correct?

I am getting kind of sick of the wafer-thin stock Bauer insoles and wanted something that would provide more support and hug my foot shape more but without a drastic change in pitch/heel height/volume like I notice when I put a SF Yellow in the boot.

Thanks!

Edited by matix218
correction

I have the X7.0's and I switched to the Speed Plate's. I like them better than SF. They don't pitch you forward like the SF. I have never used stock footbeds. I wear a size 7 and I bought size 7 Speed Plate's and they fit good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shogun said:

I have the X7.0's and I switched to the Speed Plate's. I like them better than SF. They don't pitch you forward like the SF. I have never used stock footbeds. I wear a size 7 and I bought size 7 Speed Plate's and they fit good.

Thanks!  I will have to give them a try

has anyone tried shimming a speedplate to better replicate the forward pitch of super feet?  I cant quite seem to get comfortable with superfeet (arch pain), unless I use one carbon hockey and one regular yellow, so something isnt fitting me quite right.  I just got new skates as was interested in trying the speedplates as an alternative 

On Wednesday, March 01, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Shogun said:

No problem. Write back and let us know how you like them.

Alright so I finally got a set of speed plates last week and i heat fitted them (at home) and played with them last night for the first time.  

These things are absolutely fantastic, exceeded my expectations in every way.  I was expecting to see improved arch support which is the main reason why I got these but what I was not expecting was how drastic the difference was with regards to how your foot feels so much more "locked" in place.  It almost made it feel like I was skating in a new "stiffer" boot (as opposed to the reality that I was still in my old X:60s).  It felt like my blades were completely centered at all times and there was no pronation effect (where you feel like you are standing a bit to much on the inside edge, common for players with pronation issues) at all.  It literally felt like I was skating on brand new skates.  I was blown away by the "foot lock" that these insoles provide and I cannot recommend them enough.  At 50 bucks this is the best skate upgrade I have ever experienced.

On a side note for people who want to heat fit these at home, what I did (worked out perfectly) was as follows:

-preheat oven to 200 degrees.

-place one of the speedplates in the oven (on a tray with foil over it)

-once the black lines disappear, take the speedplate out and put it in the skate and immediately stand on it for a second or two, then tie up the skate as quickly as you can amd stand with your weight over it for about a minute.

-repeat for the 2nd speedplate.

This worked perfectly and I got a great mold that provided all of the support and (especially) stability I described above and also excellent comfort as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, innotastic said:

on the box these things say they should be rebaked every once in a while. How often are you folks rebaking your speed plates?

I bake mine once a month. 

On 7/30/2016 at 9:18 PM, jbyun04 said:

my main issue with the speed plates is the arch piece, it digs right into my arches and kills everytime i take a turn so i end up reverting to superfeet carbons..

too bad because the on-ice feel of the speed plates are unbelievable.. has anybody run into the arch-digging problem and found a solution? i've tried re-baking them a few times to try and flatten the arch as much as i could but no luck there

i sanded down the edges of mine and it worked great. the edges are so rough out of the box

A bit of an old thread but I'd never skate without these insoles. I bought mine a month ago. I have dodgy knees, and bought them to support my arches. I'd tried Yellow Superfeet but they gave me lace bite as they lift the foot up and pull the toes back. Last week I forgot to put the Speed Plates in my skates before leaving home for the rink and the difference was dramatic, I had far less control on the ice, and felt decidedly less at ease.

I can imagine some people would prefer Superfeet, presumably they have deeper skates (or shallower feet) so the extra depth of the Superfeet would not be an issue. Similarly some people will prefer Speed Plates. I'm not sure it has been mentioned here, but Superfeet will refund your money if you do not get on with them. I took mine back to the local sports shop (UK based) and they refunded me, no questions asked, all I needed was proof of purchase.

On 19/09/2016 at 4:08 AM, Stanley said:

I used speed plate for about one week and realized my 1x 37.5 liner was cut and destroyed in the areas where plastic works against the liner.Also understand that this plastic does not have any vapor holes and the water accumulates in the hill area and plastic works its way to drill a hole and destroy your skates even more.  Moisture has nowhere to go if you use speed plate. And it's too hard plastic in soft 37.5 liner that are not on the same page. Bauer needs to come with more complicated product, that is to have soft edges so liner integrity is not compromised and have moisture exit holes.

My skates get very wet inside, irrespective of the insoles used. All I do is pull out the speed plates when I get home, and they dry out just fine. As someone else said, just push on the opposite side to the arch support, and then slip a finger under the arch suport, and pull the insole out, easy peasy. I have not noticed sweat unduly collecting beneath the speed plate. I skate for an hour or two in public skating sessions, and I am learning to play hockey, so moisture build up might be more of an issue to more serious players.

The problem I have is that I use the PowerFoot inserts. They are great, but they soak up sweat and get very very wet. They take ages to dry out. This is a serious flaw IMO.

Edited by Leif

anyone having issues with the SP sliding around?

Added some cloth tape to the bottom but would prefer a more permanent option. Maybe a re-bake? 

:ph34r:

Arghhh... One of my speed plates has cracked...  I contacted hockey monkey (since I am within 90 days of purchase) and hopefully I will get a replacement. 

Personal opinion, but I wasn't a fan of the speed plates. I felt like they were uncomfortable. I went with SF Carbon and my skates feel much better. I've been using SF for years now, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess. But seeing how many people are having their SPs crack, I'm happy I got the SF again. This is in 1X skates.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

Personal opinion, but I wasn't a fan of the speed plates. I felt like they were uncomfortable. I went with SF Carbon and my skates feel much better. I've been using SF for years now, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess. But seeing how many people are having their SPs crack, I'm happy I got the SF again. This is in 1X skates.

Just had mine crack actually :/

Replacements are on the way from hockey monkey but given I have only had them for two months or so I have a feeling this issue will arise again with my new pair...

On 6/1/2017 at 4:29 AM, Leif said:

My skates get very wet inside, irrespective of the insoles used. All I do is pull out the speed plates when I get home, and they dry out just fine. As someone else said, just push on the opposite side to the arch support, and then slip a finger under the arch suport, and pull the insole out, easy peasy. I have not noticed sweat unduly collecting beneath the speed plate. I skate for an hour or two in public skating sessions, and I am learning to play hockey, so moisture build up might be more of an issue to more serious players.

The problem I have is that I use the PowerFoot inserts. They are great, but they soak up sweat and get very very wet. They take ages to dry out. This is a serious flaw IMO.

Hey @Leif

I'm glad to hear you're wearing the POWERFOOT and  think they're great! Not so happy to hear you're having  issues drying them out, when you say "ages", how long are we talking? Do you have your skates loosened enough to pull the tongue out as much as possible? However if you're playing a lot you may not be have enough time to air dry them out completely. 

The other option is not to stick them in so that you can remove them to dry after each session. This is what a lot of our elite players (often playing twice a day with their morning skate) and high volume players (playing 3+ times a week) do. I personally do this as well so that I can easily show others in the room and dry them out quicker. By the sounds of it this may be a great option for you. If you're not ready for a fresh pair you can slowly peel them off (right after a skate works best) add a piece of stick tape to the back to remove any stick and slide them in right before you put your skate on. Unless you have really big skates they should stay up long enough to get your foot in and once your foot is in they wont move. 

That being said we're always looking for ways to improve the POWERFOOT and reducing moisture/sweat absorption is one of them. We have tested a few things and continue to work towards a solution. 

If you need anything else or would like to go over it further please DM me so we don't high-jack this thread :) 

Cheers,

Mike