Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BRUINS_FAN_74

Bauer Speed Plate

Seriously. I get that not a lot of hockey players know about non-hockey custom insoles but with other sports like cycling, skiing, hiking, etc in which foot comfort and stability are an issue, there are a decent amount of options. Just google.

Most aren't as affordable as the speed plate was going to be though. At least, the last time I had interest in a pair.

We've actually tried a lot of things - Superfeet Yellows, Black, SIDAS/Graf Conformable, SOLE Thin Sport, and Shock Doctors. Barring going the full orthotic path, the Superfeet had the best stiffness in the arch, but the SIDAS had the best fit. We're hoping the Speed Plate will be the best of both worlds.

You mean stiffness in the heel? Superfeet yellows have nothing in the arch as it is more of a heel stabilizer. Most people who have issues with Superfeet are buying the size stated on the box alone. When fitting these footbeds it is essential to make sure the heel is properly supported. Heat the skates again, insert the Superfeet and mold.

• Like 3

You mean stiffness in the heel? Superfeet yellows have nothing in the arch as it is more of a heel stabilizer. Most people who have issues with Superfeet are buying the size stated on the box alone. When fitting these footbeds it is essential to make sure the heel is properly supported. Heat the skates again, insert the Superfeet and mold.

the yellow super feet i have do have stiffness in the arch, the yellow plastic pice on the bottom runs from the heel past the arch to the ball of your foot its the same plastic piece.

• Like 2

the yellow super feet i have do have stiffness in the arch, the yellow plastic pice on the bottom runs from the heel past the arch to the ball of your foot its the same plastic piece.

Yes the plastic is there but it does little to support the arch. It is perfectly acceptable to even have a gap between the Superfeet footbed and your arch. The plastic is there mostly to ensure you get a slight forward lean in your stance.

We've actually tried a lot of things - Superfeet Yellows, Black, SIDAS/Graf Conformable, SOLE Thin Sport, and Shock Doctors. Barring going the full orthotic path, the Superfeet had the best stiffness in the arch, but the SIDAS had the best fit. We're hoping the Speed Plate will be the best of both worlds.

I work for Superfeet. Feel free to shoot me a DM with any questions about our products or your cousin's ailment.

How bout custom Superfeet? You'd get the stiffness of Superfeet and the fit of Sidas.

There currently isn't a model of Superfeet customs that are compatible with a skate.

The idea behind the cap (yellow plastic piece) to help stabilize the heel because if you limit how much the heel moves, that keeps the arch in a neutral position.

Ok, so I was hoping to buy some new speed plates from Bauer but I've now been told they're on hold again for individual sale. Does anyone have any comparisons between the speed plate and the yellow or blue superfeet or any other insole? I really like the idea of being able to bake them separately from the skate and I think they would be nicer than the formfit+ that I currently have in the x90's, but I also don't want to spend $50 on another insole just to go get the speed plates.

Also, does anyone have a set of speed plates they're not using that they'd be interested in selling?

Speed Plates are amazing IMO. I found someone on PHEW that had a pair brand new and he sold them to me for $35 shipped. Baked them in my home over @ 200 degrees until the ink disappeared then threw them in my MX3's and stood for about 1 minute or so. It molds to every inch of your arch and toes...fits like a glove afterwards on the bottom of your foot. I also got the POWERFOOT inserts to reduce the negative space in the toebox and now have the most comfortable skate I've ever worn and every movement my foot makes is directly transmitted to the ice.

I was previously on Superfeet Greens and also Yellows in the same MX3's but without the PF inserts. I can only imagine every top Bauer skate going forward will have the Speed Plate,,,it's definitely that good.

• Like 4

I'm also looking at getting the powerfoot inserts as I've heard/read great things about them. I'm just mad that I can order the speedplates from Bauer, but they're selling them with the 1x's.

What is PHEW? I'd love to get a pair off of someone that doesn't want them, but I'm beginning to think that's almost impossible.

PHEW is a wacky Facebook group that stands for "Proclaimed Hockey Equipment Whores." They are usually more concerned with how they look vs. how they play. All things aside, it's not impossible, just keep an eye on eBay (I've seen a few pairs but never pulled the trigger) or maybe make a post in the PHEW For sale thread like I did. You might get lucky!

Before I begin, disclaimer: I work for Superfeet. With that said, I'm not trying to sell you a pair, just attempting to give you some more knowledge on the product.

As you know already, the Speedplate is a full length moldable product, while the Yellow Superfeet are not moldable and are built on a 3/4 length cap supporting the rearfoot. The reason we do this is because if you can stabilize the heel in a skate, you can keep the rest of the foot in place. When it's not moving around, not only can you get a more powerful stride because a pronating foot shortens stride length, but you can also reduce the risk of stuff like blisters, cramping, bunions, Haglund's deformity, etc. Also, Superfeet are designed to be trimmed in the front and potentially on the sides of the toebox so that it can be compatible with your foot in your skate, regardless of what model you're tossing it into. If something like the Yellow is feeling too high under your foot, give the Carbon a shot - it's a model that's found success in hockey skates although it wasn't originally designed for them specifically, like the Yellow was. I won't speak to my experience on the Speedplate, as everyone's foot is different and will react differently to different products. If you're considering giving Superfeet a shot, just know that all the products have a 60 Day Comfort Guarantee, so if it doesn't meet your expectations in the first two months or less, take it back to the shop or give our offices a call.

PHEW is Proclaimed Hockey Equipment Whores, a group similar to this on Facebook.

Hope this helps! Feel free to DM me if you'd like.

You wore Green's in MX3's?! Never heard of someone getting a pair of Green's into a skate. How did it work out?

Speed Plates are amazing IMO. I found someone on PHEW that had a pair brand new and he sold them to me for $35 shipped. Baked them in my home over @ 200 degrees until the ink disappeared then threw them in my MX3's and stood for about 1 minute or so. It molds to every inch of your arch and toes...fits like a glove afterwards on the bottom of your foot. I also got the POWERFOOT inserts to reduce the negative space in the toebox and now have the most comfortable skate I've ever worn and every movement my foot makes is directly transmitted to the ice.

I was previously on Superfeet Greens and also Yellows in the same MX3's but without the PF inserts. I can only imagine every top Bauer skate going forward will have the Speed Plate,,,it's definitely that good.

Using the Greens was certainly not ideal...I can tell you that. I have a high arch and a skinny foot so it took up a little volume and helped keep a tight fit. If I didn't have speed plates I would have Yellows on my skates...both with PF inserts.

It's not really a fair 'comparison' between SF and SP as the plates are fully moldable. They are both good though and better than Formfits.

Edited by NickC19

Ccm has a really nice insole that comes in 3 different arch heights depending on your foot shape. I found the yellow super feet to be too aggressive for my feet but the medium ccm's fit like a dream

• Like 1

So its been a few months now and I was wanting to know what the consensus was on the Speed Plates; Are they really as great as what we all are hoping them to be?

in short.   YES.  Best comfort and stability I've experienced in an insole.   I liked yellow superfeet, but the amount the heel was raised robbed too much volume for me. If I could have MOLDED them, maybe they could have competed with SPEEDPLATES.

Some speedplate info:  Not sure if some of you guys have noticed the fit of the speedplates in the 1X or MX3, but they come up "short" to say the least.  I ordered a pair for my MX3s which are 6.5D. The plates were ordered as size 7 and they fit perfectly.

Both in the 1X and the MX3, it seems the plates were a bit short, causing movement.  SO... if you're ordering new speedplates for your skates I'd recommend a half size larger/trim a half size larger than recommended.

i got superfeet in my ice skates and speed plates in my 1xr roller hockey skates.

as soon as i can buy speedplates to throw in my ice skates too then its happening. they cost the same as the superfeet insoles they will be replacing.

i wont hesitate to use them in future the support is unrivalled. 

so whats the consesus on cutting these down to size? I see hockey monkey has some for sell in size 12 (i wear 11 in bauers) is it possible to cut these a full size down or would that rob them of the molding properties. From the way it sounds these look like the go to for insoles with the sf being a close second and only because it cant be molded correct?

IMO they're fine and do their job, but to be honest they should have added just a little bit cushioning on them. I need customizable footbeds because of my high arches, and I find my molded Footbalance footbeds more comfortable.

There are and has been lots of other customizable footbeds on the market, the Speed Plates are nothing new.

I always take my insoles out after each ice time. I noticed that the Speed Plates in my buddy's 1X's were damn near impossible to get out. How do you guys get them out easily without ruining them or stressing them too much?

your buddy is lucky that his are stuck, mine fall out of my 1Xs.   Anyway, in the 1X and the MX3, use a skinny long screwdriver or stiff metal rod to push the plates up, via the 4 moisture holes drilled out in the bottom of the skate.

I'm now hearing that some have cracked. Which leads me to the question; What is the warranty on these?

I also heard that its best to bake them one every 3-4 months based on how often you play. Feedback from experience would be appreciated.

naturally with any piece of hockey equipment there are going to be some instances where said piece fails.  It's HOW OFTEN others report on things like cracked speedplates that should be looked at.  I'm not sure of the warranty on the plates. Check the downloadable 2016 catalogue for that info.  As far as rebaking speedplates.. I've never heard of that necessity. I'd assume that if you feel the need to do so because of an uncomfortable fit, I personally wouldn't hesitate.

Did you happen to "hear" of these broken plates instances from people who don't even own them?  I have no clue as to how speedplates would crack. I suppose if you kept taking them in and out of the skate 4 times a day, they'd fail.

Not sure if this has already been posted but Ice Warehouse has all sizes in stock. Just ordered a pair the other day. 

Can an anyone advise if Speed Plates take up less volume than Yellow Superfeet?

• Like 1

The speed plates are thinner than superfeet. I prefer a thicker insole so I use the CCM ones now.

As for cracking, a friend of mine's cracked and read on PHEW of some instances. Not sure if a widespread issue. Seems could crack since is thin plastic.