Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

incubus4fun

Bauer LS3 or LS4 Runners

I've been skating on Grafs for the last 6-7 years. Never skated on Bauer holders. I've never had to replace steel during a game, so I am guessing it won't be an issue. I am used to taking the steel from the holders frequently, since I send my steel for radius and sharpening to No-Icing.

What is the consensus on the best holders?

I would not consider changing from your GRAF holders. You are very used to them and they probably serve you well. The GRAF steel is good steel and STEPSTEEL is available for those holders, if you ever want to experiment.

GRAF holers are very strong.......relatively few holders crack and break. You mentioned that you 'swap out' steel to send steel out for sharpening. In that case, I would invest in a couple of sets of the brass screws,washers and 'banjos' used to secure your blades to the holders.

In my opinion, the 'best' holders out there TODAY for competitive players are Bauer EDGE. Simply because many players are now using 2 sets of steel when they go away on weekends to play 2 -4 games.

I see that MOST NHL players.......even some guys wearing CCM/Reebok are on Bauer EDGE holders. This is now probably more for convenience and 'quick' changes. The coaches don't want players missing a shift or 3 with a serious blade problem. Equipment staff now has replacement steels for their players in a small case that is close to the player's bench.

Since September, I have replaced 2 broken EDGE holders. Both of those were on skates of college players, both defencemen.

EDGE holders is probably your better choice over Lightspeed 2 holders. Yes, no STEPSTEEL with EDGE, but Bauer will eventually get the LS4 stuff straightened out. Probably better to order them with SL3 steel.....not LS2 or FUSION steel.

On the REPLACEMENT STEEL there will be NO notches on the rear portion of the steel. The TWO notches near the toe portion of the steel will continue to be there.

Awesome news. I just picked up some X90's and want to put in the LS4's with FBV but wasn't sure how long I'd be waiting for them. Are we thinking before Christmas?

Of course, I just bought some new ls2.

Nothing wrong with LS2. I prefer the profile of it straight out of the box compared to LS3/4.

Apologies for possibly the stupid question but I've been out of the equipment game for at least 5 years as my skates were serving me quite well...

so when it comes to the increased height of the LS Edge holder - did Bauer add 3mm to both front/back towers or just back? ie did the pitch change or just the overall height?

Also for these who tried - Ls4 is extra 3mm, the holder is extra 3 mm - does it feel like a big adjustment or it's relatively quick one?

I'm on the fence of sticking to my Ls2 & blackedge or jumping on the latest bandwagon and getting LS Edge + Ls4 so any insight would be appreciated.

I just got on LS4 steel. I assume is it fine to use a stone on these since I haven't heard anything, but I wanted to confirm that is correct since the sides have a smoother coating finish on them.

It's been a long time since I've seen any broken LS4 steel.  The last few broken runners that I've come across have been either stainless or LS2.  I also have been rotating 2 sets myself since April.

4 hours ago, hollowicked said:

Does anyone know if Bauer is still having issues with the LS4 or has that all been fixed?

A customer came in the other day with a new set he just got from Monkey, they were the defective ones.