Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

Unless you specifically spend time during the training working on stopping, it isn't "just" going to happen. Stopping is one of the aspects between the 2 sports that is the most different. You really need to get to some public skates and practice stopping, the rink may be busy but I assume they have public sessions during evenings or weekends?

• Like 1

Congrats... Just watched your progress and you look like you are getting it.

Glad you finally got a helmet on.

and most important

Don't be afraid to fall!

Z

you need to work on your stride. you are putting no weight into your edge and thus no power. stand on one leg with deep knee bend and essentially jump onto your other leg and glide. practice getting a feel for that

Well done, you only have to look at this and your previous video to see how much you have improved.

As you seem to be training on your own (it's a great way to train, a rink to yourself) find drills that are really hard to do or that you have never done before. Push yourself to learn these, don't keep doing the same thing over and over except the basics (inside/outside edges and c cuts, these or similar themes should be the staple start of any hockey training). Push yourself outside your comfort zone to broaden your skill base and therefore learn quicker. Ask your coach if you can get a new drill/ skill each week for you to practice on during times you are not getting coaching. As I mentioned before, the iTrain teach the trainer videos are a great starting point.

You posted on Sept. 7 that it was your 2nd time skating. You have come THAT far in only ~7 weeks.

Improvement? Yeah, meteoric!!! You look fantastic.

I know people who have been skating a couple years who don't have as good of mechanics as you.

Small tip since you seem to be looking for feedback (I'm not nit-picking):

When you skate, do try to keep your arms push-pulling straight ahead of you. Think about pulling a rope hand over hand. Your hands shouldn't swing out to the sides, nor should they cross the centerline of your body.

Your stops are looking CLEAN.

I hope you're getting into some dropin/pickup games. Your skating skills are more than ready.

Good man! Bend your knees more. Looks like you're leaning over the top half of your body vs bending knees. Strides more of a 45 degree angle vs straight back.

That is a huge improvement in a short period of time. What rink is that?

MT, thanks very much for the advice and encouragement; I'll implement your tips next time I'm on the ice.

Have not entered any pick-up games, although I've been told my skating is sufficient to do so. I've done very little stickhandling/shooting, as I felt skating was a higher priority

• Like 1

Going up the ice, you were just holding your left (stick) arm rigid and swinging your right.

You relaxed on your way back down and you had both arms moving--nice and straight. Good job.

GO PLAY HOCKEY!!! You started this wanting to play hockey, and you can skate and stop well enough to play hockey. Chasing that black 6oz piece of vulcanized rubber with 9 other people is going to show you what else you can work on. Skating is fun, but hockey is an absolute blast.

Yes, skating (being able to control yourself safely) was a higher priority, but now you have a lot of other fun things to learn about. Go play hockey. Come back to a new focus on skating in 3-4 months, maybe even take a powerskating class.

For me, I have found that I need to take breaks from learning about skating. You always skate, but after learning something new, you just need to go out there and play and work those new details into your weekly game. Come back and focus on it after your good new techniques have become habits and look for new things to refine.

I'm still jealous you have so much open ice to yourself!

• Like 1

I agree with MThockeydad about your arms. Also your stick will help you turn. Don't just push or drag it through a turn. Get two hands on it and put the blade on the inside of the turn. It will help turn your shoulders and upper body making your turn more effective. Straighten up a bit more at the waist and bend your knees some more. For the short time you have been working on skating you are doing great. keep it up. One last tip, relax and don't forget to breathe. Sometimes your mind gets so locked in on trying to do something right it becomes mechanical and not natural.

• Like 1

Played my first pickup game. 3 on 3 with no goalie. I was definitely the worst player on the ice but i wasn't completely overwhelmed. The guys were nice; they said i had excellent positioning for a beginner and passed well

• Like 1

This is amazing. I love the game of hockey for so many reasons but to see what's going on here is crazy.

1- Amazinmets73 posts in early September and asks if there is any point in trying to learn to play hockey as some of his buds have told him it’s a long shot to get anywhere with it.

2- MODSQUAD jumps in and clears up the situation... go for it, it's up to you to see how far you can take it.

3- Amazinmets73 - says ok let's do this.

4- over 2 months goes from hardly being able to skate to moving into a stop effortlessly in his last video. Did anyone else notice that??

You're clearly an athlete and dedicated Amazinmets73 and are well on your way to holding your own in the beer leagues. I've come across some great players who started late in life and always wondered how. Now I’m watching it unfold lol.

I may move to calgary in January

Is this move hockey related... you may be the most commited newcomer in history :)

Good luck out there I look forward to the next update.

• Like 2