Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Amazinmets73

learning hockey at an advanced age

Calgary, eh?

Check out the Beer League Podcast:

http://beerleaguetalk.libsyn.com/

Its actually produced in Calgary, but they do Skype interviews with a lot of people.

I'm sure Nick and Brett would love to interview you.

Did you enjoy your 3v3 pickup game?

Did it make your heart happy?

Welcome to hockey!

Lol, huh? Why would anyone with a successful podcast want to interview me?

Was the "eh" alluding to Canadian linguistic tendencies? :-)

Yes and yes. Hockey is exhilarating

• Like 1

Good job on the backwards and transitional skating! Keep it up!

As for the podcast... I think you'd be surprised how many late comers would love to do what you're doing and would like to know what you did to get where you are...especially by January :)

Hahaha, no, not hockey related. I was actually worried that it would be detrimental to my development on the assumption that there wouldn't be any novice men's leagues in Calgary.

And thanks

Haha... contrary to popular misconception. Us Canadians are not born with an innate ability to play hockey.

You won't have to worry about lack of opportunity to play hockey... at any level... in Calgary or any where in Canada,

And looking great on your backwards skating and transition. Keep it up!

GOOD LORD AM73!!! how are you able to get THIS MUCH open ice?? if it Philly area i may have to take the two hour drive south and crash that party.

BTW: i watched your videos and the improvement is great! I am trying to get back into the sport (at 45) after playing house leagues as a kid and into High school (before breaking my femur) i've been doing the "hang around thing" at a small rink 10 mins from home, and hope to be playing 4 on 4 at this small rink (Fritz Dietl) next week. again, the best way to get better is to play. with all that open ice theres lots of margin for error. Getting out on the ice with two full teams skating, will heighten your senses, and allow you to focus more. (i believe). like my pop told me when i first started skiing, if you don't know what to do, FALL. as long as you get back up you're doing it right :)

good luck

GAB

• Like 1

Update: looks like I'm not moving to Calgary at the moment; headed to Atlantic City for a couple of months, then I'll most likely head to Calgary.

I've spent the last 2 lessons with my coach focusing on passing and shooting. The videos showcase my wrist, snap, and slapshot (or lack thereof?) Obviously my move leaves me without an instructor, but I feel I can progress using YouTube and video analysis of my skating.

• Like 1

To really improve your shooting mechanics you need to do off ice work. I'd recommend that you Invest in a shooting pad, a tape 2 tape kit (google it), a tarp (to shoot at unless you have the luxury of setting up a goal somewhere) and pucks. Shoot 200 pucks a day, nothing else will improve your shooting / passing quicker than this when off ice. If you are serious about getting better it is worth the money spent and the time you will put into it.

• Like 1

It depends what team you are playing in, if you all have the same equal ability then you could play anywhere but lets assume most of the others in the team know how to skate a little bit better than you.

To be D you must be able to skate backwards and do it well. A center needs a big engine and ideally be a good skater. This leaves wing and is where most people start as you do the least damage when you get things wrong. Try really hard to work on your positioning, being in the right place at the right time is half the battle and you don't need to be a great skater to bang in the rebound or cut the pass off back to their D man on point.

Try to find a starter league, you will enjoy it more and have fun. it's really hard starting the game playing in a team / league where everyone knows how to play.

• Like 1

So, am I to the stage where I can pick a position?

No. Assuming you are not even on a team.

Honestly, at this point, you just want to be placed on a team & then put in a position where they feel you can fit in. Then you work your tail off to get comfortable where you got slotted and hope to be called up to play at the next level. Then you're placed whatever position they feel like you can fit in.

When you're good enough to say "I'm LD", it doesn't matter, because they may need you at RF and you'll just roll with that.

That's my opinion & im sticking to it.

• Like 2

Update: looks like I'm not moving to Calgary at the moment; headed to Atlantic City for a couple of months, then I'll most likely head to Calgary.

As a New Jersey native, may God have mercy on your soul.

On the other hand, you have a rink right there if you can bring your equipment with you.

Flyers Skate Zone

http://ac.flyersskatezone.com/

• Like 1

Haha, I heard terrible things about the rink in A.C; skated on it for the first time today and am pleased to say it's not bad t all!

As for Jersey itself, this isn't my first go-around, I know what I've signed up for

Backwards skating progression. Any advice?

Also, I recently started using Powerfoot inserts and they're great: less negative space, more comfort and increased stride power, particularly when skating backwards. Definitely recommend

• Like 1

Haha, I heard terrible things about the rink in A.C; skated on it for the first time today and am pleased to say it's not bad t all!

As for Jersey itself, this isn't my first go-around, I know what I've signed up for

Also, I recently started using Powerfoot inserts and they're great: less negative space, more comfort and increased stride power, particularly when skating backwards. Definitely recommend

"This video is private".

The only thing I can really comment on is the amount of hip swaying, but it could just be me. Use that energy to drive through your legs. Otherwise, looks like you're doing great. Knees bent, chest up, you're in good shape.

Yeah, a little swaying, but I have to admit that I do that as well when going backwards.

You are very smooth and steady when you are throwing in those crossovers.

Do try to drive a little more power through your legs to get a real burst of acceleration--but the balance part is far more difficult and you look great there.

Ah damn. Public now! Played 1 on 1 for 20 minutes with the kid in the background of the video. He's 19 and plays Juniors for one of the top teams in the area. I was taken to school, but no surprise there.

Very cool. Any comments from him?

Why oh why didn't anyone tell me how awesome hockey was when i was younger?

I had friends who played when I was a kid, but never had the opportunity myself. It cost as much in the mid-1980's as adult hockey costs me today.

I had another opportunity to take it up when I was 19 or 20 when a buddy of mine in college started playing pickup games. I wish I had started then.

I had another opportunity when I was 29 and my company built the ice rink I now played at. The project owners invited me to try it. I thought I was too old. I wish I had started then, too!!

So...refer to your first post. Do not ever listen to the naysayers. :)

I hope you're finding some dropin sessions and looking for league opportunities. You are truly ready. Just go play and have fun. You'll find out what else you need to work on (everybody does).

I mean this in a completely constructive and supportive way:

Your questions tell me you still seem to be a bit uncertain and lack some confidence. You need to get out and play hockey. You will have a stack of small successes (yes, and some failures) that will lead to more and more confidence....and the more confidence you have, the better you will play and the bigger successes you will have. Sorry, but you've sort of plateaued in skating...its not that you can't continue to learn, but you're at a point where skating itself isn't going to give you the same feelings of mastering new skills that it did a month or two ago. You need to get out and play hockey and find those new successes there.

I myself learned very fast. I started only October 13, 2013 at the ripe age of 38. I've been the captain of a C division team now for two sessions and will probably move up to B league in the spring. I am not amazing, but I am very good for the short amount of time I've played. I am not saying this to brag, but I am saying this to tell you that your skating skills are on a trajectory far above my own....but now its time for you to play hockey. :)

Played 4 on 4 with goalie today. Bunch of guys from the local men's leagues and a couple of college guys. Definitely the worst player on ice, but it wasn't a complete shitshow and the guys were really nice. I got off about 7 shots on goal and was stone walled on every one :-( did manage an assist though!

• Like 1

MT, I actually had several friends who were hockey fans back in elementary school, which got me into the sport. I was a huge fan of the Kariya/Selanne tandem. However, playing was out of the question due to finances. I could have started playing early in my adult life when I had my own money, but I had long ago lost interest in the sport and was far too busy partying and chasing women.

I've been studying hockey and have found out it's very much a young man's game at the NHL level (particularly in recent years.) An NHL player my age generally will have already played his best hockey, which is disheartening. However there are guy's who've played their best hockey in their 30s (Charra, Datsyuk) and ironmen who contribute well into their 40s (Chelios, Jagr)

Edited by Amazinmets73
  • Like 1

Skill wise you can become really good, age really isn't the issue but time, time that you can commit to the game and quality practices. The hardest part to accept is your engine, as you get older you can't go as hard or as quick or as aggressively and then everyone starts to beat you so you start doing dirty things to try and make up for it or playing deeper to create a 1/2 second or so more of reaction time for yourself (which just gives the opposition player more room to beat you with!)

As to your backward skating you have come along really well but I'd be asking you to do a lot more one foot balance work. As you skate your knees are well bent but you are folding them inwards to much and splaying your feet out to wide. This means you are skating heavily on your inside edge so every time you go to cross over you have to roll your foot over the top of the blade to take the step. There is a drill I get my learners to do where they skate backwards in a circle and take really small 1/4 cross over steps, almost like running backwards on the spot and making the feet move as fast as they can. By rapidly repeating the weight transfer from one foot to the other your muscle memory improves much faster, you reinforce the balance point on the toes for backward skating and you very quickly start to get your feet under your shoulders and hips and therefore more upright on the blade. If you want an example I could do a vid next week.

Backward bubble c cuts, bubbles in a circle, one foot slaloms and edges, these are the basics that you can never do enough of - keep it up you going well.

• Like 1