Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve_v3

Adidas lands NHL jersey deal

I read that the other day and it's a good, thoughtful article. I don't agree with Chippa that ads on jerseys are "inevitable." First off, Bettman has made it clear that he NHL will not be first in this department and secondly he has made a point to pay homage to the history and look of NHL jerseys. In fact, there is not a single major sports league that is looking to put ads on jerseys. And I do not count a logo as an ad. Yes, we seethe in golf now and some minor league teams but not the majors.

Why? The reason is economics vs consumer support. They just don't need the money and what money they will make is not worth the backlash they will face from fans. I saw one article that estimated team revenue for an NHL franchise at 4 million a piece if they went with jersey ads. I just doing think that is enough to make it worth their while. 4 million is chump change them.

First off, Bettman has made it clear that he NHL will not be first in this department and secondly he has made a point to pay homage to the history and look of NHL jerseys.

I certainly wouldn't trust Bettman with anything he says. Every year he says how great the league is doing until the CBA is up. Then he says how tough the league is doing.

Wow, I'm not sure how I feel about blue pipes. So foreign.

It's certainly not traditional, but it doesn't bother me. My only concern would be that the blue is a little on the dark side and doesn't contrast as much with the puck.

I some what remember everyone bitching about Reebok and Nike making jerseys in the past too. Seems like some people just hate change. Interestingly enough, people still watch the NHL despite any and all changes the NHL has made. I'm sure people complaining about Adidas jerseys and ads will probably still watch games, and will still buy tickets, and jerseys, and so on and so on. I have a couple lutch game worn KHL jerseys with adidas logos (among many others), and it doesn't bother me, nor does it bother most fans of the KHL. But then again, the average fan of the NHL can't readily watch KHL games so I'm sure they will counter that they don't watch the KHL because of the jersey ads (or any other European hockey for that matter).

It's certainly not traditional, but it doesn't bother me. My only concern would be that the blue is a little on the dark side and doesn't contrast as much with the puck.

I read an article a few years back that claimed that the nets were completely wrong from a vision perspective. Something about the red posts attracting the eye and making it more likely for the player to focus their aim on the post. I can't find it now, of course. But this should be an interesting test. Perhaps goals will go up? :)

Nothing to do with Reebok/Adidas, but does the marketing aspect of this thread

http://mihockeynow.com/2015/10/geico-to-sponsor-echl-all-goal-posts-to-be-painted-blue-and-branded/

I actually like it. Regardless, this is yet another reminder that sports is part of the entertainment industry and the bottom line is the number one factor.