Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

2015-16 Montreal Canadiens Thread

So, thoughts on who the Captain will be? Bergevin and Therien have said they WILL name a "C" in Camp this year. I assume it will be one of the 4 "A's" from last year: Plekanec, Pacioretty, Subban or Markov.

My thoughts. Subban is one of the most criticised and critiqued players in the market, and he is still very young. No need to heap the extra pressure on him this quickly. Another few years with an "A" is fine. Pax is also young, and has just recently grown into himself as a leader. He's only a couple years removed from being an AHL call up. No reason why he can't continue to be an "A". Markov is the obvious, veteran choice, but I don't think he has ever enjoyed the spotlight. He has been (for the most part) good with the media, language barriers aside, but a better leader within the team than he is outwardly, I think. That leaves Pleky. Homegrown Hab. Great as an AHLer. Has grown into a very (very) under rated NHLer. Core player in all situations.

I'd give the "C" to Plekanec with rotating "A's" home and away. Pacioretty/Subban & Markov/Gallagher

Now...all that said, No matter WHO has the "C on the shirt, Carey Price is the real Captain/Leader of this team...and I think everyone knows/acknowledges that...but he can't wear the letter.

Funny enough...none of them speak any real French beyond "bonjour", "merci". But, neither did Gionta. Fans were critical of Koivu's lack of French but it seems to be a bigger issue for fans that the Coach/Management speak French now.

Now...all that said, No matter WHO has the "C on the shirt, Carey Price is the real Captain/Leader of this team...and I think everyone knows/acknowledges that...but he can't wear the letter.

Agreed on this 100%

My money will be on Pacioretty.

-PK doesn't need more spotlight, he is already too much of a lightening rod

-Markov rarely talks to the media, captain is expected to talk all the time

-I don't think plekanec will get it because I think there is uncertainty with his contract. I doubt they'd want to give it to him with a year left on his deal when max is locked up

That is an impressive sign of commitment to the City/Province. Good on him. Although, I wish more media outlets would report it properly as a $10M over 7 year donation. Sounds like he's writing them one cheque...that isn't the case.

Has anyone seen all the pre-season games? The boys on team 690 this morning where saying Condon deserves to be the back up based on his play vs tokarski in camp this year. I havent watched one game and I remember tokarski was at best average in his starts last year.

Price is injured. (Lower Body). They have called up Tokarski from STJ. Looks like @condibear1 (Mike Condon-what a great twitter handle) is going to get to carry the mail for a while.

2-0-1 since Price has been out, and "Dutch Gretzky" is on fire! 23 goals in his previous 250+ games coming into this season. 8 so far this year!

And Shawn Thornton was once tied with Kovalchuk in goals during November.

Oh, I realize it is very early and incredibly flukey...just enjoying the production while it lasts. I'm sure there are many 2-1 games where Carey has to make 35+ saves yet to come this year.

And Shawn Thornton was once tied with Kovalchuk in goals during November.

Did Shawn Thornton have 8 goals by November 5 or was Kovalchuck on a drought at 0 goals? Sometimes the devil is in the details. :laugh:

I believe it was 6. Even Thornton thought it was funny. All jokes aside, scoring that far down the depth chart is a huge boost to a team's fortunes.

All jokes aside, scoring that far down the depth chart is a huge boost to a team's fortunes.

Absolutely. Pacioretty, Plekanec and some of the other expected scorers have been slumping a bit, but they are getting goals from Weise, Mitchell, and others and they keep winning.

I have to keep coming back to this thread to remind myself how good the start of the year was. 10th place now!!!!!

TENTH Effing Place!!!!!!

I'm starting to think 2 or 3 more losses and they will just shut Carey down for the year. I didn't see it, but apparently the reaction by MT when asked about Price's return was pretty non committal.