Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

The 2015-16 Suspension Thread

It'll be interesting to see what letang gets after those comments for a debatably worse hit tonight

1 game.

I'm not a fan of either team.  But I find this ridiculous.  They can try to inject all of these factors and aggravators, but the reality is that Letang made an identically stupid hit the day after Orpik was suspended 3 games.  The suspension to Orpik should have sent a message to ALL players that this type of hit was unacceptable.  If someone was stupid enough to do it the very next day, they should get more, regardless of past history or injury caused.

It wasn't identical, that is why he got 1.  Both may have been identical from a stupidity standpoint, but the hits were different.

What's different?  An unacceptably late hit with significant head contact, according to the NHL's videos.  Both were late.  Both were too high.  Both players knew the other guy was no longer in possession of the puck.  And both guys changed direction to make contact after the puck was moved.  Orpik's was "more late", but Letang's was after Orpik's suspension solidifying what was illegal.  I think Letang's hit was actually higher than Orpik's.  Maata is significantly shorter than Orpik and was slightly leaning in because he had cut.  It put his head at Orpik's elbow/arm level (still no responsibility for the hit though).  Letang had to get upright to hit Johansson that high.  He didn't leave his feet, but it was darn close, and certainly meant to explode into a defenseless player.

And my point is exactly that they are identical from the stupidity standpoint.  They should be identical in the suspension standpoint then too.  A stupid hit is a stupid hit, and has the potential to injure someone.  How high, or how late, or how injured is just shades of the same stupidity.  It makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong.  I understand the hits are different and why one got more of a suspension than the other.  I don't think that they should though.  It should be like the NFL.  You commit an offense, there's a set suspension for it.  There should be much less discretion in things like this.

Not so sure you want to bring the NFL into this discussion. Their standards are worse than those of the NHL. With Goodell, it goes like this; get charged for punching your wife/girlfriend = 2 games; once the video that the NFL office received goes public = indefinite; probably let some air out of some balls = 4 games. Yeah, those are some standards I'd like to see employed by the NHL.

2 hours ago, psulion22 said:

He didn't leave his feet, but it was darn close, and certainly meant to explode into a defenseless player.

He did, but he launched himself up into Johansson. It's actually more dangerous and can cause more damage than being airborne before contact, as you are driving off your legs and still accelerating into the impact.

It should have been three games and there was no excuse for less than two. The fact that Letang plays the kind of game where he should be penalized on pretty much every shift backs up that there was obvious intent to do damage on the play. 

One was appropriate.  As for the physics of being more dangerous while still one the ice during extension vs. once airborne, it's been a while but can't figure out how impacting before all the energy has accelerated the body to max velocity is worse than the full mass making contact at max velocity.

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Not so sure you want to bring the NFL into this discussion. Their standards are worse than those of the NHL. With Goodell, it goes like this; get charged for punching your wife/girlfriend = 2 games; once the video that the NFL office received goes public = indefinite; probably let some air out of some balls = 4 games. Yeah, those are some standards I'd like to see employed by the NHL.

Those aren't the same thing and you know it. The NFL's model for ON-FIELD discipline is pretty solid. If you do something wrong, there's a set, pre-defined penalty for it. Everyone knows what that penalty will be in advance, and it's a strong enough penalty to deter all but the really stupid from doing something wrong.. When those stupid players do something they shouldn't, the circumstances and minutiae don't matter. The decisions are taken out the hands of one person. 

The instances you mention are the ones made by one person. Just like in the NHL, those subjective decisions lack consistency and reason. 

Orpik's and Letang's weren't even close to the same hit. were they both late? yes but Letang's was late by a  a fraction of a fraction of a second. does that make a difference? yes it does. also, Orpik CLEARLY extends the chicken wing which Letang didn't do. imo both suspensions were appropriate.

Letang launched himself up into his opponent from the blindside with much greater force. I don't think "how late" should be used to qualify a suspension. A late his is a late hit and both of them were prime examples of variations that have no place in the game. My issue is what has been mentioned before, Letang does this a day after Orpik, and gets the bare minimum from the league which screams "well we have to do SOMETHING". 

It really is a joke to favour one player over another based on skill set when it comes to assessing a suspension. 

I would love to know how you measured the force.  Based on the parameters the league uses, no matter how inconsistently, the hits are different.  One is later and one is almost solely to the head while the other is to the body with head contact.

1 hour ago, Trooper said:

I would love to know how you measured the force.  Based on the parameters the league uses, no matter how inconsistently, the hits are different.  One is later and one is almost solely to the head while the other is to the body with head contact.

Midichlorians?

1 hour ago, Trooper said:

Midichlorians?

4 hours ago, Trooper said:

I said that the hits are different, but if you watch orpiks hit his feet stay planted and chicken wings maata where as letang explodes upwards and hasn't reached peak extension (therefore still accelerating upwards) when he makes contact with Johanssens head. 

I saw saw this article today, one of the points he brings up is that in both breakdowns of the hits they are both stated as being "high forceful hits" and both "making significant contact with the opponents head". So if the descriptions are the same why do the suspensions differ? 

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/kris-letang-suspension-the-latest-example-of-inconsistency-in-nhls-disciplinary-system

Because somebody wrote it doesn't make it true.  Kerry Frazer contends the hits were different and warranted different suspensions.

that said, I think a non-subjective standard needs to be in place.  Doesn't international have that?  No head contact period?

He didn't write those statements, it's what they said in the video breakdown of each hit. 

And yes international I believe is automatic 10 minute misconduct at minimum for head contact