Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RHINO61

Looking for advice on injury

Broke my right wrist just before Christmas and had to have plates and screws to repair it, was wondering if those out there that have broken there's could give me any advice on how to go about coming back from the injury, I shoot right by the way. Thanks Rhino :rolleyes:

Ive actually broken both wrist and my best advice would be to be sure you are comfortable that things are as close to 100% before you play again. Definetely do your rehab to regain motion and strength. i know that sounds slightly obvious but your wrist takes a bit of punishment when playing that you probably didnt even know until now. Depending on where you broke your wrist you may have a loss in strength, which forced me to dropped down a notch in flex (100 to 85/87). Additionally you could tape your wrist for support. Everyone is different so just be honest with yourself

CWC thanks for the advice I will be sure to not come back to early and will do all of the rehab for sure. thanks Rhino!

I sheared off my radial styloid earlier this year on my right wrist, right handed shot too. Happened at the beginning of October and it feels almost 100% strength wise but not in terma of mobility. Take your time coming back, no sense in trying to play and end up dealing with a permanent injury. You'll know when it feels game ready. And of course listen to your doctor

Broke my right wrist just before Christmas and had to have plates and screws to repair it, was wondering if those out there that have broken there's could give me any advice on how to go about coming back from the injury, I shoot right by the way. Thanks Rhino :rolleyes:

Lemme guess- slash to the unprotected area between the glove and elbow pad, from an out of position D man?

I will not advise you on injury because I am not a physician. But, I will tell you what I do- cover everything. I wear full cage, mouthguard (UA bottom row guard just so my teeth do not clang on impact), skate fenders and wrist guards (in addition to the standard kit- shins, elbows, etc.). These have saved these areas at least once each from massive damage. I just had my thumb smashed (broken), and have since added what-some-would-call excessive glove protection. Whatever, the sticks, pucks, ice and boards are hard, and we are moving quickly, so it just seems basic to me that I would throw something over as many areas as possible to stay healthy. I do not shy away from shots or contact, I just figure that with the protection, I should be good when the impacts manifest, and most of the time, I am correct. But, ya know, this type of thinking and protective strategy, is not really the culture, everywhere, apparently lol.

Thanks Cosmic all good advice, mine came from an awkward fall backwards that I still can't believe happened and was over so fast I don't remember the fall or if the stick was still in my hand but I do remember looking at my wrist and thinking what the heck is wrong with this thing with the big s shape curve to it. the surgery that was done was to the distal radius, and while he was in there also opened up the carpal tunnel release. I agree the more protection the better. Thanks Rhino!

1. Do exactly as your doctor says.

2. Hit up as many public skates as you can to keep your legs doing something.

3. When cleared, hit up the stick and pucks.

4. When cleared, hit up the drop in hockey and play at your own pace.

5. When cleared, resume competitive play.

7. Profit.

How old are you? I can only offer the same advice mentioned above, but if you're young, DO NOT RUSH IT! You have your whole life still and don't want to be having arthritis or replacing those screws and plates in 10 years.

I shattered my left wrist, distal colles fracture, and it's never been the same.

Do all your physical therapy and work at regaining full range of motion. Chances are though, it's never going to be the same.

Just wanted to give all of you injury prone folks an update... and a little advice. I had surgery on my Left wrist ( Hamate Bone Fracture) in early April. Turn around time for surgery was 6-8 weeks, 2-3 of which was spend in a miserable cast. I originally broke the bone in (i think...) January of 2015 so needless to say I had been living with the injury for a while. Couldn't play hockey (even though i tried) and couldn't swing a golf club. I would definitely recommend looking for the right doctor that you feel comfortable with as i went through 2 different doctors. if anyone has a wrist/hand/upper extremity issue and needs a doc let me know (Live in the Atlanta area)

This is basically what i did and the injury that i had. 

http://www.fishstripes.com/2015/6/29/8859347/giancarlo-stanton-injury-explaining-the-hamate-bone-fracture

If you think you're injured the advice from me would be..

1) Don't be a hero...Go get looked at by a qualified professional- sounds easy enough but I was misdiagnosed on my right wrist injury (scaphoid fracture) and have lived with a non union fracture for the last 8 years. Had to sit in the doctors office and let him tell me i had TWO broken wrists.. Surgery on my right wrist is TBD

2) Don't wait- if they recommend surgery it probably means you need it.

3) Rehab- Not everyone will have a great experience like i had but generally speaking the rehab people mean well. You should listen to what they have to say.

1 down and 1 to go. 

luckily i got the green light to play hockey and golf again. Shot an 84 last week after almost 2 years away from the course. 

cheers,

Chris