Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlt73

New player.. Short and pretty overweight

I am 5'7 and I weigh 325 pounds. I am wanting to begin playing hockey. Back when I was around 10 and the winters were cold enough, some ponds nearby would freeze and I played some pick up games there. I had a ton of fun and I would love to have that fun again.

A little background. I am a former power lifter that had a back injury (and surgery) and got lethargic and didn't change my eating habits. Therefore, now I got a big belly (this is where I carry most of my weight). Also, therefore I have big,wide, muscular legs and beefy arms.

I wear a size 42 pant. I've been looking at pants online and I am really confused. They state a pant size range and a height range. For my pant sizes, according to the chart I'd have to be 6'+. Will normal off the shelf pants be way too long? I went into a LHS and they didn't have anything that would fit, plus they only went to XL.

Also, could you guys recommend some wide, deep shin guards, shoulder pads and elbow pads that could possibly accommodate my frame? My head is spinning trying to research gear and not knowing where to begin. It is a little overwhelming.

I found some skates that were actually comfortable for me and fit. They are the Nexus 5000.

Thank you for the help!

First and foremost, I wouldn't worry about trying to buy top of the line gear right off the bat, especially if you're leaning towards becoming a regular player, which means losing more weight. No point in buying shoulder pads or pants brand new that you'll be too small for a couple of months down the road. Try going the second hand route to get the majority of that stuff, there has to be other folks in the same boat selling stuff online.

I am 5'7 and I weigh 325 pounds. I am wanting to begin playing hockey. Back when I was around 10 and the winters were cold enough, some ponds nearby would freeze and I played some pick up games there. I had a ton of fun and I would love to have that fun again.

A little background. I am a former power lifter that had a back injury (and surgery) and got lethargic and didn't change my eating habits. Therefore, now I got a big belly (this is where I carry most of my weight). Also, therefore I have big,wide, muscular legs and beefy arms.

I wear a size 42 pant. I've been looking at pants online and I am really confused. They state a pant size range and a height range. For my pant sizes, according to the chart I'd have to be 6'+. Will normal off the shelf pants be way too long? I went into a LHS and they didn't have anything that would fit, plus they only went to XL.

Also, could you guys recommend some wide, deep shin guards, shoulder pads and elbow pads that could possibly accommodate my frame? My head is spinning trying to research gear and not knowing where to begin. It is a little overwhelming.

I found some skates that were actually comfortable for me and fit. They are the Nexus 5000.

Thank you for the help!

I am in a similar situation and have found that pants aren't an issue. I agree with buying all secondhand stuff. Sideline Swap is a great site for cheaper gear. E-bay is great as well. As far as shin guards go, try the Bauer nexus or Bauer pro. The Warrior Koncept line has a pretty deep fit but might be difficult to find as it is an older model. Message me if you need anything; I'd be happy to help you out.

At 5'9 and 250lbs pants were definitely an issue for me. Had to wear XL pants which were way too long in the leg. Also, way too long in the abdomen area as well. The "hip" padding was more like rib padding. Had to wear suspenders. Those, combined with how high up the pants came, and I had issues with shoulder pads riding up all the time. It wasn't until I dropped to about 230lbs and was able to wear size L pants that things got a bit more normal for me.

If you can find a pair of Tackla "hefty" size pants, those would probably be good. Otherwise, just deal with the crappy fit for the time being. I wouldn't bother with custom unless it REALLY bothers you.

Also, one thing I will suggest... find the cheapest pair of pants you can. If you're not "athletic" proportions, you'll need as much flexibility as you can get since the padding won't sit where its supposed to. You won't be able to move in top of the line pants. Everything else you're going to be fine with. You'll be able to size shoulders, elbows, and shins appropriately so no problems there. Same with your bucket.

If you want a recommendation for shins, I say go find some clearance Makos. They're pretty deep and very comfortable.

The suggestion of finding the Tackla pants is a good one. They do larger waist sizes with shorter legs in a handful of models. Any Tackla dealer can order them for you, since they probably will not have them in stock.

I have decent size forearms and a couple spare pair of elbow pads that I don't use anymore. Send me a PM with your address and I can send a pair to you.

I'm 5'6 but weight is 170lbs. So our situations are not the same though, I post my experience because perhaps it will be a help for you.

What you are thinking the most troublesome thing is maybe pants, I think. Usually I've been using "S" size protectors because I'm small or short. But leg's width or some volumes are not so. I had been thinking that want to get/wear pants like "length:S but waist:M and hip:L". I think these different stock sizes are usual thing in casual clothes. But ice hockey protectors are not so. Only "S/M/L".

So I ordered custom size pants to RYR Sport.inc which located in Tronto. They are so lazy men but anyway I could get such pants. If you couldn't be satisfied with retail pants, it is one of the choices to solve your problem.

Then about other protectors, for example I tuned my 14" shin guard down to 13" or more shorter because I also wanted wide fitting and short length. Especially my true size, 12~3" are included in not senior size. Its width are so narrow for kids. So I bought a pair of 14" shin guards which have suitable width for me and after filed its under part. I'm very satisfied now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50271552@N06/sets/72157655036334142

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50271552@N06/sets/72157652496787663

I'm in Indianapolis also and can give you help if you would like. There is plenty of hockey around the area that I could introduce you to and I can also help you with your gear situation. PM me if you are interested.

Gomez

Thank you! I hope hockey does change my life as well.

I was looking at this for a padded short. http://www.icewarehouse.com/Shock_Doc_Ultra_Shockskin_Compression_5-Pad_Short_Sr/descpage-SDUS5.html

Is that what you are referring to?

Yes. However you may want to get one with removable thigh pads in case you need to modify for length and pad placement. It's cheaper than purchasing pants, and for rinks that allow for minimal to no padding for stick and puck, it serves its purpose.

Yes. However you may want to get one with removable thigh pads in case you need to modify for length and pad placement. It's cheaper than purchasing pants, and for rinks that allow for minimal to no padding for stick and puck, it serves its purpose.

OK. Thank you.

Would this not be ideal for a beginner development league?

Oh. I meant, as only for skating and working out. You'd have to purchase pants if you were joining a league. The tackla hefties would be your best bet.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.

I have always been a pretty athletic person. So tt is going to be great to start playing a sport again, as well as getting a great workout.

Fwiw I'm a bit taller but around the same weight and waist. I really like the ultra tacks pants (I assume the lower end models would be very similar) the length has been the shortest of the various pants I've had. If the tacklas aren't available they might be worth trying on.

Check out The CCM U+ line. I'm 5'8" 255 and bought the U+ 08 pants on clearance in an XL and I was drowning in them. Not so much the length but the waist. Threw them in a box in the basement and went to a Nexus L which are perfect. You still might be able to find the CCM U+ line on clearance.

Here's a suggestion on the shin guards, only because I've done it myself to some degree of success. I dont have massive legs, but wear knee braces on both legs (crappy knees). They are a little bulky, which means I need to use much wider shin pads

I went and got some older style Jofas in a much larger size. I'm 6ft tall and purchased sized 17" shin pads. I removed the liners as the knee braces have already got some padding, and also have some basketball/volleball knee pads worn under the braces as there is a large gap for the knee itself. I also cut about 1.5" off the bottom of the shin pad so that I can get it at the right length. The larger sized shin pad would flare outwards and taper down much lower down the leg. This has helped me by allowing me to fit the shin pad around my knee braces. I do need XL socks to have everything fit, but I tape my socks down anyways.

Not sure if I've explained it well enough for you to understand. Let me know if you need any pics and I can try to send you something.

Thank you all once again!

I did go the the LHS and found some pants that actually fit fairly well. I went with the Bauer Nexus 600 in XXXL. I have a longer lower body and a more compact upper body and these seem to fit pretty nice.

I also tried on and got The Nexus 6000 shin pads and Elbow pads. Both were really comfortable and well actually fit. The shin pads were actually the hardest thing to find. I tried just about everything under $100, and i was finding most of them to not fit very well or sit on my leg appropriately.

I really got to say that beginning a new sport is very intimidating and overwhelming, but the guys at my LHS shop were very helpful and made things a bunch easier as well some of the suggestions here.