Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

2015-16 Trade Season

It's overpayment based on his recent performance, but at the same time he's had 7 seasons with at least 70 points (including one 100 point campaign) and 2 seasons with 40 or more goals and a cup under his belt. He may not be currently producing at an elite rate, but was in the not too distant past. He's dropped off lately, but is still a player many contenders wouldn't mind having going into the playoffs and isn't that old at 31. Carolina is also retaining half his salary.

Salary retention is huge in trades. Most of the contenders are up against the cap, especially when you are a team like NY or Chicago, you make the risky play to get a proven dude you feel you can reinvigorate in your system. Draft picks are always a gamble, you get a proven commodity at a reduced price. 

16 hours ago, althoma1 said:

It's overpayment based on his recent performance, but at the same time he's had 7 seasons with at least 70 points (including one 100 point campaign) and 2 seasons with 40 or more goals and a cup under his belt. He may not be currently producing at an elite rate, but was in the not too distant past. He's dropped off lately, but is still a player many contenders wouldn't mind having going into the playoffs and isn't that old at 31. Carolina is also retaining half his salary.

i get that just a lot to give up for a third line center imo. 

For a team that has been 5-5 over its last ten days, and sits in eighth place with 68 points, the Avs sure pushed their chips into the middle. In separate trades, they picked up Erik Gelinas and Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Connor Bleackley, Kyle Wood and a 3rd rounder.

10 hours ago, cburch15 said:

i get that just a lot to give up for a third line center imo. 

If that third line center gives you a shot at winning the cup, it's worth the risk. I'm not saying that I think he will lead them to the finals, just that the payoff is worth the cost in their mind.  Hank doesn't have too many more years at an elite level. 

6 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

For a team that has been 5-5 over its last ten days, and sits in eighth place with 68 points, the Avs sure pushed their chips into the middle. In separate trades, they picked up Erik Gelinas and Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Connor Bleackley, Kyle Wood and a 3rd rounder.

I'm an Avs fan and I'm bummed to see Tanguay go. He was having a really hard season even outside of goals and assists. Not sure if his heart just wasn't in it for the Avs anymore or he's having a hard time keeping up. I'm sure his experience will be a great resource for the younger players in AZ if he signs with them for a few more seasons. I'm excited to see what Boedker can provide on our top lines though.

Gelinas? Not sure about him. Don't know much about him, but it's hard to imagine he'll do worse than Bodnarchuk has.

I've gotta say I'm a little bummed Sakic didn't manage to buddy up with Yzerman enough during the alumni game to swing the Drouin trade. They're gonna be stuck with him in purgatory forever. Haha.