Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

2016 CCM QuickLite Protective

For those who have seen the line, are the pants still relatively shorter like the RBZ/ U+ CL? CCMs medium has been ideal for me the last few seasons. 

I picked up a pair of the QLT elbows a few weeks ago and love them. They are really comfortable have a nice snug fit. The range of motion is great and you hardly even notice them on the ice. I took a skate to the forearm last night and if it wasnt for middle strap I probably would have been cut and instead ended up with just a bruise. The strap was strong enough to not be cut either. So far very happy with this purchase.

Looking to switch it up and grab the quicklite shoulders and elbows, coming from HD1's.  Is there really a justification in price between the 290's and top of the line ($60 b/w the shoulders and $30 b/w the elbows)? I know it comes down to features here and there but if it doesn't add much value in performance or protection then the 290's seem the better product. 

Edited by tcc

Is it me or have they increased the size of the opening where your head goes in shoulder pads?  The 270 opening is WAY bigger than my rbz 130's.  Kind of uncomfortable.  May return them.

On June 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM, mjpisat said:

Is it me or have they increased the size of the opening where your head goes in shoulder pads?  The 270 opening is WAY bigger than my rbz 130's.  Kind of uncomfortable.  May return them.

I have the QLT and don't find the opening to be much larger than my APX2.  

Really disappointed with how everything fits/feels this year.

Nothing is quite as comfortable as the last RBK line. I like the straps on the shoulder pads and shin guards, but it's not enough to upgrade to new equipment. They also added hard plastic components in some (I think) odd places. 

The elbow pads are just not comfortable. 

I'm guessing that they made a fit adjustment compared to the Tacks line. But I'm tall and thin, so I'm not sure who the Quicklite line would be for if the Tacks fits me better.

I also have to say I am really disappointed about the QuickLite Protective - especially Shoulder Pad and Shin Guards - apart from not being comfortable, especially the fit is poor. The Tacks line is far better, though wanted to have a lighter gear. Will most likely end up with the new curv composite added Bauer gear for shoulder pads & shin guards. Are they even lighter than QuickLite gear I heard?!

On 8/2/2016 at 6:09 PM, brianb said:

Really disappointed with how everything fits/feels this year.

Nothing is quite as comfortable as the last RBK line. I like the straps on the shoulder pads and shin guards, but it's not enough to upgrade to new equipment. They also added hard plastic components in some (I think) odd places. 

The elbow pads are just not comfortable. 

I'm guessing that they made a fit adjustment compared to the Tacks line. But I'm tall and thin, so I'm not sure who the Quicklite line would be for if the Tacks fits me better.

Funny about how CCM is promoting the hard plastic as "new tech." I just got back into hockey a couple years ago, so I do not know what was happening in 2005, but I know that my CCM CL and CCM U + 12 shoulder pads both have hard plastic, with vents at the sternum. So, this "Vent Shield Technology" does not seem newly engineered for QLT; they just changed the color of the plastic from red to black, changed the areas of coverage, and are branding it as "new." That being said, I am loving my 130 LE shoulders (I have 2 sets of gear for 2 continents, thus so many pads). The U+12s and CLs have been rock solid as well.

Edited by Cosmic
  • Like 1

I was amazed by the QLT gloves when I tried them at the CCM demo day last summer. Felt like I had nothing on my hands I couldn't believe it!!! Amazing for feel but not sure how long they would last or how protective they are though.

Edited by Hotwheels

Any word on how the QLT line has been performing at retail in terms of sales?

Among MSH gearheads and the like it seems like this line is a massive disappointment relative to the beloved RBZ/CL offerings. NHL adoption seems pretty low/non-existent as well as most pros are still in CL/RBZ shoulders and HP45/UCLP pants.

I'd be curious to know if this has translated broadly at retail to the average consumer. I'm about ready to stop my search for RBZ pants and shins with hopes that the next refresh of this line is worth looking into.

Edited by Cavs019

8 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Any word on how the QLT line has been performing at retail in terms of sales?

Among MSH gearheads and the like it seems like this line is a massive disappointment relative to the beloved RBZ/CL offerings. NHL adoption seems pretty low/non-existent as well as most pros are still in CL/RBZ shoulders and HP45/UCLP pants.

I'd be curious to know if this has translated broadly at retail to the average consumer. I'm about ready to stop my search for RBZ pants and shins with hopes that the next refresh of this line is worth looking into.

Have to agree with you here, but only on certain aspects. I think in terms of the pants and shoulders, and the elbows outside of the QLT, they've underperformed. But at least in my area, we're still selling a ton of the shins and gloves. But I will say what hasn't been sold with the pants and shoulders, have been replaced with the Tacks line. Bauer still hasn't taken a percentage back in my area with protective. People seem to gravitate towards the CCM protective now.