Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

GoPro alternative

One thing that might make a difference is how you intend to use it - particularly for training purposes. To me, a camera elevated high behind the glass would be much more useful than a camera perched on top of the head - it gives you a better idea of the context of the play as well as your form and positioning. When I am taking video of the goalies I work with I use cameras/phones and tablets (as long as it is capable of 30fps at 720p I'm fine with it) either about chest high on a tripod (with a couple nice orange cones surrounding it) or, when I'm feeling lucky, along the ice. In the latter example, the view is from the puck's "perspective" rather than the goalie's, illustrating holes in coverage or improper depth/angle coverage. I've taken some cheap cameras (usually from the site kgbeast posted) and removed as much of the housing as I could to rig them up better.

I guess my point is that better video quality doesn't necessarily guarantee better utility if you aren't thoughtful with how you are employing the camera.

High on the glass is by far the best from an in-game perspective. Inside the net is pretty decent too. 

I did it once on the top of my mask but that angle sucks. I did it again with a chin mount (pickup only, since it does obscure some vision when looking down) and the angle was much better. It's much more of a "see what I see" angle. 

Some thing like GoPro or similar purpose cameras have fixed zoom and very wide angle lens and probably will capture to much of the rink. For that, you might want just a camcorder where you can zoom and properly point. For half the price of goPro, you can get a pretty dissent camcorder. One thing that is great about hockey, the game is usually very well lit and the light sensitivity of the camera does not need to be anything special, which makes the pool of acceptable cameras reach into some inexpensive options.

For inside the net, you will risk the camera. Murphy's law says that the more expensive camera you get, the most direct, most powerful shot will be delivered to it in the shortest amount of time. I would be pretty uncomfortable to spend $300+ on camera and see if it can take a slap-shot.

In case of head mount, you might also want to look into anti-shaking features. Not sure if GoPro has that, but $50 camera even less likely. Head mounted camera on a linesman could be pretty nice and safe    

I actually feel that the fixed zoom and angle of the gopro is about perfect for shooting hockey videos. you dont want it too targeted as you get better value and analysis when you can see a good portion of the play. Several members of the board have posted excellent video of their play with a go pro mounted on the back boards. You can see most the action blue line in, which is critical for a goalie. it also offers the ease of setting it up in between periods, or not having someone just snag it on the way out of the rink when you are focused on playing. I would be hesitant to mount a camera on the linesman, the hot air can ruin the internals.

3 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Some thing like GoPro or similar purpose cameras have fixed zoom and very wide angle lens and probably will capture to much of the rink. For that, you might want just a camcorder where you can zoom and properly point. For half the price of goPro, you can get a pretty dissent camcorder. One thing that is great about hockey, the game is usually very well lit and the light sensitivity of the camera does not need to be anything special, which makes the pool of acceptable cameras reach into some inexpensive options.

For inside the net, you will risk the camera. Murphy's law says that the more expensive camera you get, the most direct, most powerful shot will be delivered to it in the shortest amount of time. I would be pretty uncomfortable to spend $300+ on camera and see if it can take a slap-shot.

In case of head mount, you might also want to look into anti-shaking features. Not sure if GoPro has that, but $50 camera even less likely. Head mounted camera on a linesman could be pretty nice and safe    

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. 

My Pictek performs pretty nicely for a $75 GoPro wannabee. I got my laptop to start yesterday, though I am having trouble getting the picture to display on the TV. Audio quality is decent. Video quality is pretty good. And I can dump the silly accidental videos using my laptop. 

I already am having a decent time seeing what I do wrong positioning myself for shooters. I do go out super far and aggressive on shooter. You don't realise what you do until you see it on video.

Not necessarily a cheaper alternative, but one more suitable for getting a true "eye angle."  I've seen a smaller version of something similar being used but I think it was a prototype product (it was nice because it fit between two bars of the cage making for less of an obvious target).

https://www.uhwk.com/