Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sergei

Bauer Lighspeed Edge issue

33 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Sure, I guess saying they're "losing their edge" is a bit different for each skater. It's like telling me how many miles you get on a set of tires maybe. I know people who replace a set tires when they're down to 5/16 and others that run them past the wear bars. Maybe that's a bad analogy.

It is kind of like tires. Some do burnouts every chance they get and accelerate and stop quickly and some display more of a mellow character. I would also suspect that hollow size and prifile diameter would affect the times between sharpenings. Another pretty important factors are weight of the skater and skating technique some stand straight, some lean on insides, some lean on outside, some have strong side some dont. You might over utilize one out of four edges, but you still sharpen them all.

Another factor is that some people loose objectivity proportionally to amount they spend. If they have $20 runners, they will be pretty objective, but if they drop $140 on them, then the runners are perfect all time and every time.

12 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Hmmm. Is that the norm? The LS4 should give the longest lasting edge of all the Bauer replacement steel. Given everything is equal.

The initial release of LS4 was not good, search this forum for further info on this. The latest release is meant to be better but not everyone agrees, I have players I coach that aren't happy about this compared to the LS3's they had before and others are fine with them.

Recently a member posted the Penguins team skate sheet for 2015 season, not one player was using LS4, they were all on LS3, LS2 or customs. It begs the question why as the skate is about as personal as you can get for a player and if LS4's gave you an advantage you can bet your house that these guys would be using them.

when I said 'losing the edge' I mean it - the edge is completely GONE! dull, smooth and can't even pass the nail test. Can't support the weight of the skater and causes spills. Nothing to do with preferences etc, just pure physics.

He's got his 1S only in August, so not sure what batch of LS4 came with them but it's night and day comparing with Blackedge which for the same skater and the same level of play lasted like 10 times longer.

I got another set of LS4 this week, see if it's any different but so far I'm personally not impressed at all. Maybe there is a reason PROs aren't using LS4 even tho the profile is the same as LS3 and money is obviously not an issue...

On 9/21/2016 at 0:44 PM, SolarWind said:

when I said 'losing the edge' I mean it - the edge is completely GONE! dull, smooth and can't even pass the nail test. Can't support the weight of the skater and causes spills. Nothing to do with preferences etc, just pure physics.

He's got his 1S only in August, so not sure what batch of LS4 came with them but it's night and day comparing with Blackedge which for the same skater and the same level of play lasted like 10 times longer.

I got another set of LS4 this week, see if it's any different but so far I'm personally not impressed at all. Maybe there is a reason PROs aren't using LS4 even tho the profile is the same as LS3 and money is obviously not an issue...

Wow. The 1S would certainly have the updated runners. The LS4's in my son's skates are the updated versions too. At least according to the threads here. In his size they only make the LS2 and LS4, no LS3. Weird. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on at Bauer.

So far he has one game and about 5 hours of practice on his initial LS4 sharpening. Another hour this Sunday. Once we really get going here he'll easily have 7 or 8 hours on ice a week and I really didn't want to sharpen every week. I guess we'll see. Sorry to kinda hijack this thread.

And as far as the topic, the LS4's are tight going in the Nexus holders but it's not a problem.

16 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Wow. The 1S would certainly have the updated runners. The LS4's in my son's skates are the updated versions too. At least according to the threads here. In his size they only make the LS2 and LS4, no LS3. Weird. I'm beginning to wonder what's going on at Bauer.

So far he has one game and about 5 hours of practice on his initial LS4 sharpening. Another hour this Sunday. Once we really get going here he'll easily have 7 or 8 hours on ice a week and I really didn't want to sharpen every week. I guess we'll see. Sorry to kinda hijack this thread.

And as far as the topic, the LS4's are tight going in the Nexus holders but it's not a problem.

You're really stretching it to try to go 8 hrs on a sharpening on a stainless blade.  The LS4's are good stainless, but not that great.  A regular stainless is dull after about 4 hrs, sure it can be skated on more than that but the performance is gone.

2 hours ago, jimmy said:

You're really stretching it to try to go 8 hrs on a sharpening on a stainless blade.  The LS4's are good stainless, but not that great.  A regular stainless is dull after about 4 hrs, sure it can be skated on more than that but the performance is gone.

Just 4 hrs Jimmy? Wow - that's Super low!

the problem with kids playing high lvl hockey is not games - it's the practices, especially bag part of it - a Lot of starting and stopping is taking toll but still - 4 hrs is really not that much!

what would you say that # is for DLC coated blades?

48 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

Just 4 hrs Jimmy? Wow - that's Super low!

the problem with kids playing high lvl hockey is not games - it's the practices, especially bag part of it - a Lot of starting and stopping is taking toll but still - 4 hrs is really not that much!

what would you say that # is for DLC coated blades?

An edge loses about 25% for each hour of skating. Some of the better quality stainless last a little longer but not that much. Blacksteel lasts much longer because it's outside edges are diamond/carbon which is tougher than the best quality steel made.  My customers with DLC get around 8-12 hrs, some more some less., depends on level.  If you never go into the dirty areas, your edges will last a lot longer.  As for type skating, practices are brutal on edges. often the whole hour is tough skating drills.  Very different than a game where the player is on the ice for about 18 minutes.  So one can get a lot of games out of a 4-hr timeframe if just playing games, but throw a practice in there and the edges could be gone after one practice.  As I said earlier, once can skate a long time on blades that are dull, but starting, stopping and turning preformance suffers.  You'll see skaters compensating for this by not turning as tight or changing their lead times to stop.

On 2016-09-21 at 4:48 AM, Vet88 said:

The initial release of LS4 was not good, search this forum for further info on this. The latest release is meant to be better but not everyone agrees, I have players I coach that aren't happy about this compared to the LS3's they had before and others are fine with them.

Recently a member posted the Penguins team skate sheet for 2015 season, not one player was using LS4, they were all on LS3, LS2 or customs. It begs the question why as the skate is about as personal as you can get for a player and if LS4's gave you an advantage you can bet your house that these guys would be using them.

It's more so what gear the equipment managers believe in and order in for their players.  They hate change.  We did some work on Manny Malhotra's skates (last brand new pair from Carolina) one summer and he was skating on Super Stainless.  We suggested he upgrade to LS2 or 3 but he declined and was happy to skate on what he was given.

What steel pros use or don't is not an indication of a steel that holds better edge and lasts longer. They sharpen skates before every time they think they go on the ice, while we here looking for more time between sharpenings. Different priorities. Pros want steel that will last an hour practice and is strong enough to take a slapper, LS2 and LS3 are proven. I am sure LS4 will start trickling in in the upcoming season and by this time next year, LS4 is going to be as common as LS3 now.