Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmfdm86

Hand injury

So about three weeks ago I was playing a game in my inline league. I was moving up behind a guy to battle him for the puck around the boards behind his net. Right as I came up on him, he turned and dropped his back hand and I took the butt end of his stick directly to the back of my hand.

There's no excrutiating pain and usually it feels ok. But when I'm playing if I'm reaching for a puck with my dominant hand and try to put any downward pressure on my stick I get a sharp pain and have to let up. Leads to lots of stolen pucks. Haha.

It's about and inch and a half above my wrist. No visible discoloration or swelling, but it feels a little swollen inside if I move my hand a certain direction. No clicking or popping noises either.

I got a wrist brace on a teammate's suggestion thinking it will help it heal a little faster. It's just been about three weeks and seems like it's taking forever to heal.

Anyone have any idea what I did to myself or suggestions? Haha. I should probably see my doctor but I'm currently upset with them as the past year they've billed me for a bunch of stuff they never did.

I could guess that there was just deep bruising to the ligaments in your wrist. It sounds like it should heal on its own, but as you could imagine, seeing a doctor would give you a definitive answer. That's the best advice I could give you. I took a slap shot off the inside of my index finger where it joins the palm of your hand a couple of months ago. It took months for it to heal. To this day it still irritates me from time-to-time. The same would go for your wrist. It will take time.

I know, I know. I'm not making any serious decisions by what's said here. Just curious what people thought and sharing a story.

53 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

I know, I know. I'm not making any serious decisions by what's said here. Just curious what people thought and sharing a story.

all in all, i'd say at best you have a deep bruising to the ligaments (like he said^^)  at worst, a fracture to one of the delicate bones in the back of your hand. and that would SUCK 

I had my hand smashed at work a few years ago and broke my scaphoid, and would have serious pains and spasms in the back of my hand. My physical therapist said it was part of the healing process and it eventually went away. If you're saying it's been 3 weeks and it's not going away, you might want to consider seeing someone. If something is wrong, you don't want it to heal incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Ashtasticness said:

I had my hand smashed at work a few years ago and broke my scaphoid, and would have serious pains and spasms in the back of my hand. My physical therapist said it was part of the healing process and it eventually went away. If you're saying it's been 3 weeks and it's not going away, you might want to consider seeing someone. If something is wrong, you don't want it to heal incorrectly. 

Yeah. It doesn't help that through all the stupid stuff I did as a kid I never managed to break anything so I don't know what it feels like. Haha.

I'm giving it a week in the brace and if it's not better I'll go to the doctor. It's just lingering oddly. I get worse pain in my bad knee when a storm rolls through though. 

I'm giving it a week in the brace and if it's not better I'll go to the doctor. It's just lingering oddly. I get worse pain in my bad knee when a storm rolls through though. 

General rule of thumb - if it's bad enough where it requires a brace, it's bad enough to go get it checked. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

General rule of thumb - if it's bad enough where it requires a brace, it's bad enough to go get it checked. 

Definitely a good rule to live by.

For the record it feels fine now. Just took some time.