Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GunRunner

Offsides Question

I have searched high and low and can't seem to find the answer to my question. As a D man and your team is in your offensive zone, the other team goes to clear the puck up the boards. Which creates a delayed offsides, if part of the puck crosses the blue line into the neutral zone or does the whole puck have to clear the blue line. We have a referee that always calls offsides when the D man can't handle the puck at the blue line, about half the puck will be on the blue line and the other half in the neutral zone and the D man grabs the puck and puts it low or on net. Just curious because I thought the whole puck had the cross the blue line

Seems like your ref is just anticipating the puck going completely over. It's the same as when they whistle a play dead in the crease when they lose sight of it. 

The width of the blueline is a part of whichever zone the puck is traveling from and the entire puck must cross the blueline before it is considered in the next zone.

On 4/24/2016 at 7:58 AM, GunRunner said:

I have searched high and low and can't seem to find the answer to my question. As a D man and your team is in your offensive zone, the other team goes to clear the puck up the boards. Which creates a delayed offsides, if part of the puck crosses the blue line into the neutral zone or does the whole puck have to clear the blue line. We have a referee that always calls offsides when the D man can't handle the puck at the blue line, about half the puck will be on the blue line and the other half in the neutral zone and the D man grabs the puck and puts it low or on net. Just curious because I thought the whole puck had the cross the blue line

If this is for beer league, officials are hit or miss. As someone who both plays in and officiates beer league, I know this to be a fact ha.

4 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

If this is for beer league, officials are hit or miss. As someone who both plays in and officiates beer league, I know this to be a fact ha.

I'd kill for one to show up and give a shit for a change. Even the good guys seem to mail it in around here. 

If the refs would actually care about the game and what they were doing they would get a lot more respect and a lot less grief from the players.

If it's 2-man it's harder for the ref to see the offside/onside clearly, because s/he has to back off the line in case the d-man doesn't hold it in and the play goes to the other end zone.

Like others have said, the linesman has to "see white" before the puck is considered to have cleared the zone. If the puck is still "touching blue" the play is onside.

10 hours ago, ktang said:

If it's 2-man it's harder for the ref to see the offside/onside clearly, because s/he has to back off the line in case the d-man doesn't hold it in and the play goes to the other end zone.

Or because a lot of them are to lazy to skate to get in the right position. It's hard to see the puck go all the way across the blue line if your at the far blue line. 

Exactly, a ref who decides to take a couple of hard strides now and then has no trouble keeping up with the play. It doesn't hurt if the ref is also a player who has the ability to anticipate the play.

And then there's the one we have who doesn't even square up when dropping the puck. He just skates in, kind of tosses the puck somewhere in between the centremen, and skates away. Often doesn't even stop moving during the whole thing.

On 4/28/2016 at 8:16 AM, chk hrd said:

Or because a lot of them are to lazy to skate to get in the right position. It's hard to see the puck go all the way across the blue line if your at the far blue line. 

Yeah, I'm lucky to play in leagues with pretty good refs.