Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Stephen7

Base Hockey shafts, blades and new features

6 hours ago, tduke49 said:

any chance of having your junior sticks as two-pieces?

Yes, junior and intermediate are also now offered as shafts.

I have been struggling to find P77/Coffey tapered blades. I checked out your patterns on the site and wasn't 100% sure which blade pattern would be closest. 

Is there a set price for the tapered shafts yet?

I'll also throw my hat in the ring and say that a Kovalev (although mirrored to righty) and the closed mid-toe curve would definitely be an awesome option!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sickwilly said:

I have been struggling to find P77/Coffey tapered blades. I checked out your patterns on the site and wasn't 100% sure which blade pattern would be closest. 

This is also a future possibility. I will try and get some photos of our curve database and get them posted.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, the_game said:

P89/Darby/Vanek curve is a must!

I think I will start a curve request thread. No guarantees here but it gives us quality feedback, so why not.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sickwilly said:

Base has a Coffey curve or something that is extremely close. It is the BC 04 and the name on it is Bankoske. I know it is available in right handed, I don't know about left thou. They have had it for a long time, it just has never been listed on the website.

1 hour ago, mrquinn89 said:

Base has a Coffey curve or something that is extremely close. It is the BC 04 and the name on it is Bankoske. I know it is available in right handed, I don't know about left thou. They have had it for a long time, it just has never been listed on the website.

I went through the online ordering process just to check it out, and there's a BC04 7.5 LIE available only if you select right-handed. No other details are shown though.

6 hours ago, mrquinn89 said:

5 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I went through the online ordering process just to check it out, and there's a BC04 7.5 LIE available only if you select right-handed. No other details are shown though.

That curve is equivalent to the old Easton Gaborik/Roy/Yzerman.

On April 28, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Stephen7 said:

Hello,

I am Stephen, a rep from Base Hockey. This topic is to add information for a new line of products and features from our company. My first post was in the Roller Hockey Equipment forum as one of our new retail features is "blade flex" that was inspired by there not being a blade designed for a lighter inline hockey puck. This new feature is not roller specific however, and adds a new option to combine with stick flex and kick-points. All of the Base Hockey curves are now available in (R) Regular, (S) Stiff, and (XS) Xtra Stiff.

In addition to offering blade flex, we also now offer a tapered .520 shaft in models Supernatural (mid kick) and Nasty R (dual low kick). These shafts can be ordered in flexes 75-120 in variables of 5.... 75, 80, 85, 90 and so on. Finishes are customizable with options of

• Clear gloss
  • Clear Powder Matte
  • Grip Gloss
  • Grip Powder Matte

The new blade flex feature can be ordered in either a OPS, shaft and blade combo, or .520 tapered blade.

These features have been offered to NHL players for years and adds a new variable for the retail public. All 3 blades play completely differently when used with the same shaft flex and kick point.

I am located in the Southern California area if anyone wants to see these products and features in person.

The bottom two shafts in the following photo are for demo purposes and not the standard graphics. Name and number can also be added to the sticks or shafts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: I have received a lot of inquiries on how to order shafts and/or blades. The following link is where we are directing customers at this time..

http://www.basehockey.ca/shafts-blades

ui3W8v0.jpg

This may be off topic, but when i saw "Base" I had to speak up about trying to get a stick for a smaller player. Everyone says they have it, including Base, but not so. I have always had trouble finding a proper stick flex for my very light weight of 130 lbs and 5'5". 2 years ago I recall getting ready to order from Base, being assured that  they had so many choices and or combinations that there had to be a stick to fit me. But when you carefully look at the lineup even after you chose your "correct" length etc. Etc. and knowing it could be cut, nothing came near my much needed flex and short length. I find that there is no standard for flex in the whole industry at all thus you can't buy a stick on-line. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have tried many makes and most all are different when it comes to flex coupled with the correct length. Also, if a junior stick is selected then the blade area can't take a proper pass. The puck will vibrate the shaft, worse the blade seems to disappear when the puck comes near the blade as you think you have the puck, but it has gone straight through!

I am told I have to use the top of the line junior for the better carbon fibers, but it does not work with the sticks I have purchased. 

Sorry for the rant, but Oh my God I wish the manufactured would get on the same page with respect to specs!

16 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Weight should not be the determining factor in stick flex. It should be leverage, form, and strength.

I would hope it is not weight, that's why I am using a junior the most, but have my intermediate TotalOne that I can't flex when I get sick of missing passes that I should have caught, but I need the light weight to compensate for the lack of strength in my shoulder.

1 hour ago, smu said:

This may be off topic, but when i saw "Base" I had to speak up about trying to get a stick for a smaller player. Everyone says they have it, including Base, but not so. I have always had trouble finding a proper stick flex for my very light weight of 130 lbs and 5'5". 2 years ago I recall getting ready to order from Base, being assured that  they had so many choices and or combinations that there had to be a stick to fit me. But when you carefully look at the lineup even after you chose your "correct" length etc. Etc. and knowing it could be cut, nothing came near my much needed flex and short length. I find that there is no standard for flex in the whole industry at all thus you can't buy a stick on-line. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have tried many makes and most all are different when it comes to flex coupled with the correct length. Also, if a junior stick is selected then the blade area can't take a proper pass. The puck will vibrate the shaft, worse the blade seems to disappear when the puck comes near the blade as you think you have the puck, but it has gone straight through!

I am told I have to use the top of the line junior for the better carbon fibers, but it does not work with the sticks I have purchased. 

Sorry for the rant, but Oh my God I wish the manufactured would get on the same page with respect to specs!

We have a 55 (or even 45) flex intermediate, so that might work for you. They are 3 inches shorter than a standard 60" senior. As for standardizing flex - that would be ideal, but different manufacturers measure flex in different ways, and with all the competition, it would be hard to standardize that across the board.

1 hour ago, kyleo29 said:

I use a savoy special and love it but the shaft is a bit boxy. Any chance of a shaft shape option?

I have inquired about this, as it would be an interesting customization feature, but I haven't gotten a definitive answer yet. I will keep you posted.

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

On the standard or .620 replacement blades, do those have short of long hosels?

I'll inquire and get back to you on that.

19 hours ago, MrData said:

Agreed! I think the P10 is somewhat likely, but the problem with the Kovalev is that his blade mould is quite particular. His pro pattern is only available as a special order on a lefty OPS with standard hosel construction and a limited choice of flexes. If you're serious about ordering a Kovalev, send me a PM - you'll have to talk to Ron Kunisaki.

I would be very into this as well. Why not base the mold off of a Perron curve which is the same (well some) but have a normal hosel?

2 minutes ago, malcb33 said:

I would be very into this as well. Why not base the mold off of a Perron curve which is the same (well some) but have a normal hosel?

We could probably do that if someone wanted to place an order with a custom Perron pattern, but the reason we don't have that pattern in our database yet is that no one has made such an order. There is the possibility that BASE could get a new Perron mould in order to offer a "stock" Perron/Kovalev curve without anyone custom ordering it, but that would be based on demand, which would have to outweigh the cost of the new mould. That's why I want to get as much feedback as possible on curves (and other products or features) that you guys would like to see!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrData said:

We could probably do that if someone wanted to place an order with a custom Perron pattern, but the reason we don't have that pattern in our database yet is that no one has made such an order. There is the possibility that BASE could get a new Perron mould in order to offer a "stock" Perron/Kovalev curve without anyone custom ordering it, but that would be based on demand, which would have to outweigh the cost of the new mould. 

I remember reading a while back (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the mold fee for a custom Base curve is around $1500 + your cost order. If true, it seems a little cost prohibitive to me. I understand that you have to pay for the mold to be made, but how are companies such as True or Sherwood doing minimums of 6 with no mold fee? 

I'm just spitballing here but if there was a minimum or 6 or even 12, it probably wouldn't be so hard to get a few like minded people together to make it happen. I also imagine Base's curve data base would grow substantially which could crete more sales for them as well.

I

1 hour ago, malcb33 said:

I remember reading a while back (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the mold fee for a custom Base curve is around $1500 + your cost order. If true, it seems a little cost prohibitive to me. I understand that you have to pay for the mold to be made, but how are companies such as True or Sherwood doing minimums of 6 with no mold fee? 

I'm just spitballing here but if there was a minimum or 6 or even 12, it probably wouldn't be so hard to get a few like minded people together to make it happen. I also imagine Base's curve data base would grow substantially which could crete more sales for them as well.

I

I cannot speak for Sherwood or True. I can however say that last I knew True was no longer offering custom molds on a retail level. This information comes from me as a previous customer of theirs going back to the Combat days before Base even existed. And back then, I did pay a $500 mold fee plus minimums that kept changing from 6-12 depending on what rep you were dealing with. This may have changed as of today, I do not know.

In regards to Base custom molds, it has been done in the past but is not where we want our focus to be. With that said, there are two different types of molds. The cheaper option has a relatively short life expectancy and will eventually break after a couple dozen blades are created. This is not ideal for bulk production. The expensive mold is designed to mass produce blades for retail volume.

As stated, MSH member feedback is listened to and appreciated by us. New curve patterns are a possibility in the future if the demand is high.

21 hours ago, MrData said:

We have a 55 (or even 45) flex intermediate, so that might work for you. They are 3 inches shorter than a standard 60" senior. As for standardizing flex - that would be ideal, but different manufacturers measure flex in different ways, and with all the competition, it would be hard to standardize that across the board.

Way back in the early 80s I feel I was the only one complaining about the terribly high flex that was out there and popular.  Even for my son, who at that point was much larger than me, wanted the silver Gretzky stick. The 100 flex was the stick to buy!

At that point there was movement towards manufacturing a lighter weight and flex for women's sticks. I could not wait for them to hit the market, but I had to wait a long, long time.

Back to my sticks, here are 2 intermediate that I have given a quick review. If I get something in one I give up something in another. If I included juniors as well I get a different combination, but just can't stop a pass!

The 2 intermediate sticks that gave the identical characteristics when cut are as follows:

A relatively Cheap Warrior the other the top of the line Bauer TotalOne. I like a short stick so I cannot recall whether the cut height is on my skates or on the concrete floor, but relatively not much in the difference. I have used much shorter sticks at times with the junior sticks as it improves my stickhandling especially around and between my skates

Here were 2 sticks that were similar to me, but would be argued by many;

1) The inexpensive Warrior that had a 55 flex and length of length of approximately 63.5" full length. Given the feel on the carpet I was hoping I could cut it to my length and I would have what I need. First of all when cut the stick to about 52" it was a very heavy stick for me.

But, it would not flex on the ice for me, the only place it would flex is on the carpet at the LHS floor!  It would capture the puck when receiving a pass though and the blade acted like a hefty blade as did the shaft except for the flex!

2) I also have the same size intermediate Bauer TotalOne at a 50 flex. I then cut it to my size, again about 52" when in front of me from floor to just below my nose. The shaft was approximately 50" and I thought that the BAUER with all it's carbon fibre would give me light weight and the ability to flex the stick and capture those hard passes.

This stick did give me a superb lightweight feel, but again I could not flex it on the ice once I cut it to my size. I just could not get enough friction from the ice and my weight to come near flexing. The blade was just OK as it felt heavy, but I had no trouble with receiving passes.

So, how do I trust knowing what I am getting if I order any stick on-line unless I can be told about the product in relationship to the 2 sticks above?

Cheers - Alan

Alan,

I cannot advice much...But I would stay away from Bauer.  They are a very stiff product item IMO.  I am amazed with how much people love them, But I have seen many broken sticks and when you see the cross section...they do not look like other brands composition.  Maybe on the Senior Stick level, but on the younger ones I recall seeing what look like Fiberglass strands.

Also (I had a top of the line Nexus 87) flex that I turned into a 2 pc.  And it sits in my basement with stress cracks on the shaft and I have seen many other top of the line Bauers with the same problem.  They talk about how they are supposed to flex, but I dont see how they are getting stress fractures then.

I have a Base  (85 savoy special) and that thing can flex.  I have had mixed results with Warrior, but recommend them.  They have an Intermediate 55 flex OPS that I can flex way more than the bauer nexus I was describing above and no stress issues.

6 minutes ago, hawkeyfan said:

Alan,

I cannot advice much...But I would stay away from Bauer.  They are a very stiff product item IMO.  I am amazed with how much people love them, But I have seen many broken sticks and when you see the cross section...they do not look like other brands composition.  Maybe on the Senior Stick level, but on the younger ones I recall seeing what look like Fiberglass strands.

Also (I had a top of the line Nexus 87) flex that I turned into a 2 pc.  And it sits in my basement with stress cracks on the shaft and I have seen many other top of the line Bauers with the same problem.  They talk about how they are supposed to flex, but I dont see how they are getting stress fractures then.

I have a Base  (85 savoy special) and that thing can flex.  I have had mixed results with Warrior, but recommend them.  They have an Intermediate 55 flex OPS that I can flex way more than the bauer nexus I was describing above and no stress issues.

You are dead on with Bauer as far as the flex goes, it is harder for me to compare other brands as many have been juniors except I have actually tried the Junior Nexus and while I could could flex it on the carpet in the LHS I could not flex it at all on the ice. I know I am small, but something is wrong when I am down to a 40 flex and can't flex it at all. Nothing cut off! Nice and light, but never got a chance to use it except fo one game. My LHS tested it on the floor in the store and agreed with me 100% and I got my money back. The Int 55 flex Warrior is heavy and won't flex. I am using a Junior Graf 40 flex at the moment. That's the one where I cannot take a pass!

Alan

10 hours ago, Stewie said:

I know someone had mentioned that the savoy shaft was boxy, are any of your shaft options less boxy?

The Supernatural is also on the boxy side, although I still find it comfortable in my hands. The Nasty and Nasty R have slightly rounder corners and definitely not boxy.

• Like 1