Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I personally would love to see a kovalev pro pattern as stated from above.

Another pattern I have always wanted to see is a mild P88 (almost like a cross between P88 and PM9) with a P92 blade shape. Not sure if any pros have used this, I'm sure some have so I'll have to do some research and post a picture if I come across one.

Edited by jdvn

7 minutes ago, jdvn said:

I personally would love to see a kovalev pro pattern as stated from above.

Another pattern I have always wanted to see is a mild P88 (almost like a cross between P88 and PM9) with a P92 blade shape. Not sure if any pros have used this, I'm sure some have so I'll have to do some research and post a picture if I come across one.

I saw an old Gretzky Titan at the Hockey Hall of Fame that was pretty close to that.

I would love to see the Sher-wood Bourque curve re-done. I'll have to digging tonite for the one blade that I've saved for all these years

• Like 1

I have no horse in this race (I'm set in my current pattern), but as someone who has followed gear for a long time and has played and taught in NA and EUR, there seems to be some folklore and demand attached to the Kovalev pro -- both his most recent, much deeper version (perron) and his older version, pre 05 lockout version, which is still used by a lot of euro pros today (Leino and Brunnstrom come to mind); and the Kovalchuck pro.  I realize they're both toe patterns, but people seem to want them.  I'd also mention that there are A LOT of guys using a standard p92 with a toe kink nowadays (Benn, E.Kane, Ladd, Legwand, Forsberg...).  Most times, trends at the pro level find their way down to amateur... Maybe you could get ahead of the pack!

To be totally unbiased as I've mentioned only toe curves, I'll give a shout out to the Darby.  It's a great moderate heel curve that you see lots of requests for online. This toe curve fad has to run its course soon. right?? ;)

Just my two cents... Anyways, good luck!  You seem to be on the right track w/ kovy and asking customers! Cool stuff.  I've used your sticks before, and they're top notch. Keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by Karly14
  • Like 1

I'd be interested in a few popular senior sized curves being available for the junior and junior pro shafts (for example, Bauer P88/P92/P09).  I like a senior sized blade, but being a small woman, I'm forced to use intermediate sticks which aren't quite right for me.  They are usually too stiff and too long ( have to cut 6 inches off an intermediate).

Edited by qmechanic

Someone posted these on another forum and since this is the newer Base version of the curve which seems to be most requested, I figured I should post the pics.

base%20kovalev%20curve_zpsd7gwvkk3.jpg

base%20kovalev%20profile_zpssdtcvcb5.jpg

You can see the long standard hosel here. Not sure what the thickness of the hosel is, but it would be great if this mold was modified and could be used for Base tapered blades and OPS (and mirrored to RH of course:cool:)

Edited by malcb33
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Troubadour said:

Square toe P88 would be amazing and I would feel be really popular. It sucks that you can only get square toes in defensemen patterns.

Have a look at the CCM Hossa.  Not completely square, but pretty close. 

2 hours ago, malcb33 said:

Someone posted these on another forum and since this is the newer Base version of the curve which seems to be most requested, I figured I should post the pics.

You can see the long standard hosel here. Not sure what the thickness of the hosel is, but it would be great if this mold was modified and could be used for Base tapered blades and OPS (and mirrored to RH of course:cool:)

I have one of those and it's a slim standard. It fits in my Mako M5 and AK27 shafts with a little strip of tape to fill in some negative space.

Forgot to mention, I also have an SE16 Leino with a tapered modified version of Kovalev's curve. It's a significantly lower lie, thinner blade and more dagger-like toe shape, but generally the same.

For me personally, I was incredibly keen to try Kovalev's patterns after having read about them, but they end up being a bit too high in the lie for me, though I found the Leinovalev more accommodating. I also didn't like the shortness of the blade by the heel. I tend to handle the puck there and it felt as though my feedback from the puck was reduced in the heel half of the blade.

Edited by flip12
Forgot about Leinovalev.

My Favorite is the Warrior Smyth Curve, BUT would like to see that with a Bauer P10 blade shape (outline).  the Smyth Curve is like a W88 curve with an additional tweak down in the toe area.

This is great, as you get the power from the curve, plus the tweaking in the toe area for toe stuff.

One thing I've noticed...many of those curves that have a short life, are curves only available on the top of the line sticks.  So anyone who might want to try a different curve, IS NOT gonna plunk down the change for another OPS, just to try out a new curve.  Which is what is so great about 2 pc sticks.

Taper or Standard...I really dont care, I just want the shaft in the flex that I like (75) and the curves I like.  I will buy what fits my needs.

a Coffey curve would be good, But I think its too Flat soled and a Coffey with a more rocker curve sole would be BETTER...I would say look at the CCM P29 and compare to the Coffey.

28 minutes ago, hawkeyfan said:

a Coffey curve would be good, But I think its too Flat soled and a Coffey with a more rocker curve sole would be BETTER...I would say look at the CCM P29 and compare to the Coffey.

On Coffey curves: Montreal's PC had less rocker and was a little less banana-ish. I think Frontier's COF may be the same as Montreal's oldie, but I haven't seen one in person, so it's hard to say. Loved that curve.

Edited by flip12
Forgot "On Coffey curves" clarification

On 5/9/2016 at 3:45 PM, flip12 said:

Forgot to mention, I also have an SE16 Leino with a tapered modified version of Kovalev's curve. It's a significantly lower lie, thinner blade and more dagger-like toe shape, but generally the same.

For me personally, I was incredibly keen to try Kovalev's patterns after having read about them, but they end up being a bit too high in the lie for me, though I found the Leinovalev more accommodating. I also didn't like the shortness of the blade by the heel. I tend to handle the puck there and it felt as though my feedback from the puck was reduced in the heel half of the blade.

I've personally never used a pro Kovalev as it's LH, but I've used many versions of David Perron's pro curve, which is supposed to have the exact same blade length, rocker and curve in some cases.

The lie (on the Perron's at least) is pretty hard to nail down as with the rocker is almost has 3 lies essentially (heel, mid and toe) which I found amazing personally. The rounded heel works really well if the puck is further away from the body and the toe when it's in close. Obviously you still need the middle section of the rocker to be in the right place, which was around a 5 (on the Easton scale) on the Perron's.

@Stephen7 If Base needs a sample, let me know :cool:

Edited by malcb33
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, malcb33 said:

I've personally never used a pro Kovalev as it's LH, but I've used many versions of David Perron's pro curve, which is supposed to have the exact same blade length, rocker and curve in some cases.

The lie (on the Perron's at least) is pretty hard to nail down as with the rocker is almost has 3 lies essentially (heel, mid and toe) which I found amazing personally. The rounded heel works really well if the puck is further away from the body and the toe when it's in close. Obviously you still need the middle section of the rocker to be in the right place, which was around a 5 (on the Easton scale) on the Perron's.

@Stephen7 If Base needs a sample if you need a sample, let me know :cool:

Yes, it's strange, trying to nail down what the lie is. The Leino is more continuously rockered where that heel-middle-toe difference is more drastic. The Kovalevs I have are all just a bit higher than the E4 I've compared it to from 1/4 of the blade length beyond the heel and further forward. I didn't have much stick+puck time to play around with it though. I think I may be able to dial it in, it just ended up playing higher than I expected...If I'm right in what that experimenting has taught me, it's more important for me to have the lie stay low at least to 2/3 - 3/4 of the length away from the heel, so the puck doesn't slip under the blade when I'm carrying it. I think I just need to try some lie 4's, in which case, I'll definitely be drawing on Base's vast offerings in that range come next season. I'm not sure, but I suspect it's due to a curse of long arms that I'm lost with anything but really low lies.

Okay so here are some pics of the two P10 Shanahan curve blades we have at our Vancouver office. The wooden one is the older pattern, with a deeper curve. The composite one is the newer and shallower pattern equivalent to the Bauer P10 and Kane and Giroux' pro stock curves. Let us know which one you prefer, as there is a good possibility that we'll start offering a Shanahan pattern sometime in the near future, and we need to decide which one.

First the newer pattern:

IMG_20160510_152938_zpso3dxd8ym.jpg

shanahan2_zpsocgjtwyh.jpg

Next, the older curve:

indexxkj_zpsu1riqbtc.jpg

index_zpslewvwjor.jpg

On 5/4/2016 at 11:39 PM, althoma1 said:

The old Warrior Smyth curve (W06) and the Gionta curve (W10) (the Sherwood PP01 Smith was almost an exact clone of the Gionta as well) would be two I'd be interested in.

+1

23 hours ago, MrData said:

Okay so here are some pics of the two P10 Shanahan curve blades we have at our Vancouver office. The wooden one is the older pattern, with a deeper curve. The composite one is the newer and shallower pattern equivalent to the Bauer P10 and Kane and Giroux' pro stock curves. Let us know which one you prefer, as there is a good possibility that we'll start offering a Shanahan pattern sometime in the near future, and we need to decide which one.

First the newer pattern:

IMG_20160510_152938_zpso3dxd8ym.jpg

shanahan2_zpsocgjtwyh.jpg

Next, the older curve:

indexxkj_zpsu1riqbtc.jpg

index_zpslewvwjor.jpg

My vote is for the new (composite) model.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 9:13 PM, MrData said:

Let us know which one you prefer, as there is a good possibility that we'll start offering a Shanahan pattern sometime in the near future, and we need to decide which one.

The newer one for sure

Although it would be way more user friendly if the toe was rounded off a touch :)

Edited by malcb33

Okay so I talked to Ron Kunisaki, the president of BASE Hockey, and he's willing to make two moulds of the carbon P10 Shanahan (one left-handed and one right-handed) if we have enough people who are serious about ordering. These would be our premium moulds, which are built to last, so the curve would be made available to the public for any future orders as well.

• Like 1