Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

What's wrong with my shins

These are 14 inch ax2 warrior intermediates.  Only Bauer has 13 SR which are too small.  It's only the outside part that is kinda long I guess and goes over my skate.  They are kind of angled/tapered so the outside edge is longer.

are ccm or Bauer or Easton shins shorter at 14

0AC1117A-84DC-414B-BD4A-082D7750DE72.jpg

29257D01-CC95-4E51-8363-90654F88839D.jpg

2124E82C-EE8E-4F8A-99BE-347E71598AE9.jpg

Take a picture without your socks and skates on. Just your shin pad on your leg. This is not that unusual, it looks more like a depth issue to me (or you have monster calves) Like your knee is not properly locked in. Some shin pads seemed to "float" on my leg. 

I had the exact same issue UNTIL.... I laced up my skates all the way.  Obviously the very tops of your skates are WIDER than the bottom cuff of your shin pads.  Those edges of your shinnys need to go somewhere.........

1 hour ago, Zorlac said:

I had the exact same issue UNTIL.... I laced up my skates all the way.  Obviously the very tops of your skates are WIDER than the bottom cuff of your shin pads.  Those edges of your shinnys need to go somewhere.........

X2. 

You must like your skates really loose, not sure how you skate with no wrap. 

Skates have been baked.  I leave top eyelet undone since coming from makos.  Feels right.  I wasn't concerned with depth but don't like how outside overlaps skate.  I thought shins should be flush with top of skate not overlapping.  Why I thought these may be a tad too long

B1DF7E09-4286-413B-8787-30206336C843.jpg

AC00EE1B-02CC-4AF2-83E3-29C57808806A.jpg

6AD7F18D-3277-4E7B-A31B-549F413500EF.jpg

For over the tongue I think the length is fine. Plenty of pros that go tongues in go at least an eyelet or two down (especially D-men). As long as it's not pushing your pads up so your knee isn't in the centre of your cap or effecting your mobility/stride then you're fine.

garrison-457441349-640x427.jpg

Off topic, but why did you decide to move on from the Makos into the Jetspeed skates. How do you like the Jetspeeds compared to the Makos? Just curious.

Oh, and having pads that end even with the boot (or even a touch above the boot) is ideal for players who prefer to go tongues out. My pads are sized like this as I prefer to go tongues out and use 16" pads, but if I went tongues in I could probably move to 17" pads. You can usually go 1 size larger for tongues in than tongues out. So I think you're fine with 14" pads for tongues in and 13" pads might work for tongues in.

I wanted to go back toward a more traditional boot since mako are discontinued.  I tried EVERYTHING on and jetspeed fit my foot best.  Was looking at the 290 but a local rink shop was clearing them all out 30% off.  The only ones the had in my size were a top of the line pair never baked, sharpened or worn for $300 plus the 30% off!  $180 couldn't pass up.  I love them so far.  Have been thinking about changing radius to match mako and messing with pitch but am just getting used to them as is.

After using KORS and then Makos for so many years I'd probably have hard time going back to a traditional boot, but it's good to hear you found a boot that fits you well and seems to be working out for a great price.