Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Low end stick help.

Hello to all,

I seem to have a conundrum. the time has come to retire my (admittedly not very good) TotalONE NXG. (Curse the Stamkos curve!) That said, I can't buy another top end stick. So, my choices come to sticks under ~$65. This includes last year's (or the prior year's) low to mid end models. I do have a few in mind. However, to help you help me, my play style, because I can't judge myself.

-More of a 'power' foward.

-Using these sticks for Tier 3 / JV level hockey, as well as summer league.

-Wrist shots from circles / in front of the net. 

-Short passes.

-I do need a curve that allows me to shoot high with ease, as my technique is not perfectly developed yet. 

-Lower flex = better.

-Intermediate sticks.

So, my choices:

Bauer Supreme 160

CCM Tacks 2052

CCM U+08 (Can be found for 35 dollars.)

Bauer Vapor X: 40 (Can be found for 50 dollars)

CCM RBZ 110

Bauer Vapor X70 / X80

CCM Ribcor 26k

Also: S160, X600, N6000. Are these any good?

Curves: 

P46

P92

P29

CCM Ovechkin

P45

P40

P88

If any of you have experience with any of these sticks, please tell me how they were and if they suit me. Thanks! 

First time poster. Go easy please.

There are a lot of sticks on sale right now as most manufacturers have been launching their new lines over the past month or two. Take a look at Total Hockey, Ice Warehouse, Hockey Giant and Monkey. All of these websites allow you to search their available sticks by blade pattern, flex, price, etc. I can't tell you what is going to work for you, are you able to get to a larger store to check out some of the sticks you mentioned?

I'm currently using a Sherwood Rekker EK40 and think it would fit your specifications quite well. Mine is an intermediate 55 flex PP28 (like an e28 from Easton) but you can also find it in the usual P92 and P88 clone. It's a relatively light and low kick stick and is plenty whippy for my wimpy arms and average technique. It's proven very durable handling hard fought faces offs and defensive stick work without issue, and it's felt great to me for the wristers that are the shots I mostly take. Most online retailers seem to have it for about $99 but with their sales you can get it for a good bit less. 

I know it wasn't one of the sticks you listed, and you're coming from a mid-kick stick, but to me Sherwood is tops when it comes to price to quality/performance and if you don't mind a low-kick stick, it is a real winner.

id go above the tacks 2052 if you go that route. you can hit a 3052 in your price range. I havent used one, but the DT4LT seemed like a good value in terms of weight/balance for price. A lot of people also like the True 4.5 as a good value stick. I have one of those, but i also have the 6.0 and like it a lot better. Problem is the 4.5 will run slightly over your budget even after sales.

From the sticks you listed, I would go with the x:40 with a P92 curve.  The x:40 was a very good stick (upper mid-end).  I used one for  over a year and was very happy with it.

4 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

There are a lot of sticks on sale right now as most manufacturers have been launching their new lines over the past month or two. Take a look at Total Hockey, Ice Warehouse, Hockey Giant and Monkey. All of these websites allow you to search their available sticks by blade pattern, flex, price, etc. I can't tell you what is going to work for you, are you able to get to a larger store to check out some of the sticks you mentioned?

I will soon. My LHS usually has older lines for sale, including the original Easton Synergy, in both one piece and two piece configuration, and there's a HockeyGiant near where my relatives live, who I normally spend a week or two with. 

3 hours ago, Vuronov said:

I'm currently using a Sherwood Rekker EK40 and think it would fit your specifications quite well. Mine is an intermediate 55 flex PP28 (like an e28 from Easton) but you can also find it in the usual P92 and P88 clone. It's a relatively light and low kick stick and is plenty whippy for my wimpy arms and average technique. It's proven very durable handling hard fought faces offs and defensive stick work without issue, and it's felt great to me for the wristers that are the shots I mostly take. Most online retailers seem to have it for about $99 but with their sales you can get it for a good bit less. 

I know it wasn't one of the sticks you listed, and you're coming from a mid-kick stick, but to me Sherwood is tops when it comes to price to quality/performance and if you don't mind a low-kick stick, it is a real winner.

Iv'e seen an EK40 go for 60 bucks. I've had past experience with the Rekker as well. I used the Pure Hockey Exclusive EK3 with a Stastny curve, which was pretty sweet. I do like Sherwood, it's just a matter of finding it for the right deal. If Pure Hockey has one with the PP26 or PP28, that'd be hard to beat.

2 hours ago, marka said:

The only thing wrong with the DT4 is that it only comes in 70 flex. I've heard that Covert sticks are whippy for their rating, but 70 is pushing it from getting heavy resistance on my teammate's 55 flex HD5 (Liked the Henrique curve though.) Also, all the sticks are lefty. Thanks.

1 hour ago, OptimusReim said:

True should be on your list as well. 

True looks great, but I'm a little apprehensive. I could go for the A 1.0 SBP, for sure.

46 minutes ago, Stewie said:

id go above the tacks 2052 if you go that route. you can hit a 3052 in your price range. I havent used one, but the DT4LT seemed like a good value in terms of weight/balance for price. A lot of people also like the True 4.5 as a good value stick. I have one of those, but i also have the 6.0 and like it a lot better. Problem is the 4.5 will run slightly over your budget even after sales.

That was why I didn't think to go for True all that much. My budget really tops out at 70 total (shipping included) 

, and the 4.5 isn't close to that before sales. After is still too much. I did see a 3052 for 50 bucks and 25 percent off at TotalHockey, but the P40 is the only curve available that I liked, unless the Tavares plays better than it looks / sounds. is starting to shrink on me, if that makes sense. It looks too close to the PM9.

DT4LT is 70 flex only. That might be too much, especially considering I only weigh 115, teenage doughiness included. I have heard that Covert sticks run whippier than their flex.

8 minutes ago, boo10 said:

From the sticks you listed, I would go with the x:40 with a P92 curve.  The x:40 was a very good stick (upper mid-end).  I used one for  over a year and was very happy with it.

I do like the sound of the stick. Intelli - Sense sounds sweet, and the P92 is a pretty good looking curve. Of the ones on my list, wallet willing, it's growing on me. The only problem is the 67 flex, which is the only one I could find it in. Is the stick whippier than it indicates?

Thanks all for the help. Still undecided, but this is for sure a great help. If anyone has experience with the curves and or sticks listed in the first post, let me know. 

I used an 87 flex, but I'd say it was pretty true to the flex rating, maybe a tiny bit stiffer.

With so many closeout sticks in the  market place I am certain you could find a great deal on one of last years at a great price.

I generally go with older higher end sticks, but I picked up an RBZ130 recently for $60 on clearance and have been pretty impressed. Same would apply for the RBZ Maxx, RBZ 80, and RBZ 260 as they're all basically the same stick.

On 5/26/2016 at 8:32 PM, boo10 said:

I used an 87 flex, but I'd say it was pretty true to the flex rating, maybe a tiny bit stiffer.

Ok. That probably takes it it of contention.

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Don't be apprehensive about True sticks. They are top quality, I have the 5.2 SBP and it is easily my favorite. Check out the TC2 ot TC2-5 curves.

Thanks. Is the A seres mid kick, low kick, or like the RBZ? As well, the budget has shrunk a bit, and it basiclly moves my options to the Nexus 2000, Supreme 160, Stealth C3.0, Tacks 2052, U+08 (which I found for $35), and the Ribcor 26K. I take a lot more wrist shots (I basically never take slap shots), and didn't quite ever feel right with the NXG. Should I move to a low - kick stick like the Ribcor  / Stealth, or will a mid kick stick (Supreme, Nexus, Tacks, U+) be OK for me?

The A6.0 SBP and A5.2 SBP are variable kick sticks. The A4.5 SBP and down i think are all mid kick. If you are wanting a low kick point, and of the twigs you mention above, I'd go with the Ribcor 26k. I think it's the lightest of the sticks you are looking at

17 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

The A6.0 SBP and A5.2 SBP are variable kick sticks. The A4.5 SBP and down i think are all mid kick. If you are wanting a low kick point, and of the twigs you mention above, I'd go with the Ribcor 26k. I think it's the lightest of the sticks you are looking at

Thanks. I can check it out at my LHS over the long weekend. The only thing is the p46 curve. If you've used it, how is it? What about the easy - load shaft?

Thanks for the help.

I've found the P46 to be great for wrist shots as well as lifting the puck and general stick handling. Of course, ymmv. This is coming from a CCM RBZ 260.

5 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

I've found the P46 to be great for wrist shots as well as lifting the puck and general stick handling. Of course, ymmv. This is coming from a CCM RBZ 260.

Then I think that the P46 would be perfect. I really couldn't do any of that with the Stamkos. Thanks.

do you shoot left or right handed? Hockey Giant has the Vapor X80 and 26k sticks for $39 but curves, hand, and flex are limited, plus you can get an adt'l 20% those sticks with the coupon code. FYI.. P92 in Bauer is similar to the P46

8 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

do you shoot left or right handed? Hockey Giant has the Vapor X80 and 26k sticks for $39 but curves, hand, and flex are limited, plus you can get an adt'l 20% those sticks with the coupon code. FYI.. P92 in Bauer is similar to the P46

I shoot right. I saw the X80 on HockeyGiant, but it only has the hated Stamkos curve. I like the 26K and it has the curve I like, and I can grab it for like 40 shipped with a discount code. 

As an aside: the last curve I've used is the W03, which is said to be like the P92. Is the P46 similar? It looks a little deeper.

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

P46 is deeper than the P92.  P46 is a bit of a banana.

That's fine. I don't use my backhand enough to justify a more shallow curve.

1 hour ago, GloriousLeader said:

PM9 (and E4) is the only curve I use... to each his own.

I just can't. Maybe it was the combo of a mid kick and the PM9, but it just was not for me.

Coming from an NXG, you're going to be disappointed with sticks in that price point. It's hard to be choosie when your bargain hunting.

If you could double your budget you could go pro-stock and get a high end stick. Pro-stocks and close outs are where the real value is.

On 5/27/2016 at 5:29 PM, boo10 said:

On 5/27/2016 at 6:13 PM, GloriousLeader said:

12 hours ago, stick9 said:

Coming from an NXG, you're going to be disappointed with sticks in that price point. It's hard to be choosie when your bargain hunting.

If you could double your budget you could go pro-stock and get a high end stick. Pro-stocks and close outs are where the real value is.

Welp, before the NXG, which I was sorely disappointed with anyway, I'd only used low end sticks, so not concerned there. And while that it is true that beggars can't be choosers, it is also true that there are plenty of sticks on the market with which to be choosy. And I don't know how many pro stock 55 - 60 flex sticks are on the market for less than 100.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:20 AM, stick9 said:

If you can find a pattern and flex that work for you.... And then if you can get your hands on them consistently.  OR you could just find a company that makes their Retail Sticks the same way as their Pro Sticks.