Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Anyone here use a P106 curve?

I've been flip flopping from P88/P92/P28 for the past year and decided to take all the good and bad of my play with them and see if I could figure out a solution to the problem. Just wondering if anyone here has used a P106 as well as the others? Some things I experienced below with the curves listed above, maybe the way the 106 plays would click. I take snap shots and slap shots with some in stride wrist shots if I'm in stride on the off wing. I tend to use a toe when I shoot but connect with the middle of the blade unless it's a slapshot where I connect heel/mid.

P92 shoots high, it's either spot on or shaving the cross bar. Overall the most versatile of the bunch but still inconsistent with puck control. 

P88 passing and puck handling are great, I like the feel of this lie more than the P92 even though it says it's the same I feel it plays lower. Shots however are either stupid low or high and I can't seem to pick spots with it. Shot power is also down in comparison to the P92. 

P28 my favorite of the bunch for shooting and keeping the puck on the blade because of that hook but I only really use the toe like I should on wrist shots. Slapshots are mid blade and snapshots too using the toe to keep the puck in place while I raise the heel off the ice. Shooting and stretch passes are pretty much all I do well with this thing. 

Ive considered the P91a but in the past it was too flat and I'd lose the puck off the toe sometimes but backhands are excellent, passing, catching passes and so on. Figured maybe the P106 would be the best of all but looking for some input 

Generally, I would say it's the guy at the end of the stick that's the problem and not the curve however, I will offer my low skill opinion.  I like the Bauer P89, Warrior Vanek/Weight or Easton Darby/E13.  Most of my experience with this curve is on Bauer sticks which I order via MyBauer.  I feel the P89 is a good blend of mid-heel to allow all sorts of shots and stick handling yet it has enough openness at the toe that you can toe drag and take a nice snap shot.  

Comparison to a P92

P1010021_zpsf7ae8085.jpg

P1010019_zps772dee1c.jpg

I love the P106 more than anything else out there. I prefer to shoot off the heel but the large sweet spot and rocker make it one of the most versatile curves out there in my opinion. My biggest concern is it (and all other heel curves) going the way of the dodo as it seems most people these days gravitate toward toe hooks under the assumption that they will turn them into Ovechkin. 

12 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I love the P106 more than anything else out there. I prefer to shoot off the heel but the large sweet spot and rocker make it one of the most versatile curves out there in my opinion. My biggest concern is it (and all other heel curves) going the way of the dodo as it seems most people these days gravitate toward toe hooks under the assumption that they will turn them into Ovechkin. 

Yup as soon as you try it you wont be able to use anything else and then bauer will discontinue it. 

I agree with Cavs and Kyleo. I was a long time P89 user and got tired of chasing down this stick. Went to the P106 and couldn't be happier.

P106 is a beauty curve. Pretty mild, but a bit deeper and more open than the PM9. It also has a lot more rocker, so you can shoot comfortably from anywhere on the blade.

I've tried the P92 Lie 5 and my shots tend to sail because of how wedgy it gets being a different lie. I've never used a p106 or p89 though. The PM9 was way too flat. 

Try a P91? They say that the difference between the P91 and P91A is just a lie change, but that's false. They are completely different patterns.

P91 might give you too much loft, though, since its face angle is very similar to the P92's.

Used a 106 when I started skating a couple of years ago. The puck gets up high when you need it to. The passing is pretty clean. There's quite a bit of rocker if you enjoy that feature. The blade is plenty open as well. The backhanding is stupid easy. Overall, it's a pretty good curve. I used this stick for about nine months before moving to a 92. I'm turned into more of a toe curve type of player after finding my way. Nonetheless, it's a fun curve. I break it out every once in a while.

Loft is a problem for me because of how I shoot. Sometimes my shots are great with a p92 and other times I'm shaking my head. Would the PM9 be too extreme of a change? I like the lie 5 at least but is shot power going to disappear because I have no toe to add zip?

Going to a pm9 will take an adjustment but its a really great curve when you master it. You can still get good power out of it you just have to pull the puck back further and really focus on follow through.  Slappers are low and hard plus passing is near perfect. 

Eberle too. Both guys show that it's quite possible to master the same shooting off the toe that the X28 is supposedly designed for.

9 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Loft is a problem for me because of how I shoot. Sometimes my shots are great with a p92 and other times I'm shaking my head. Would the PM9 be too extreme of a change? I like the lie 5 at least but is shot power going to disappear because I have no toe to add zip?

Give the 106 a shot, it's a PM9-P92 lovechild, I'd even go as far as to say the lie sits right between the two at around a 5.25. 

That said, if you don't want to go looking for a different curve and blowing that kind of money, it would be worthwhile just to nail down the shot technique and really get your wrists rolled over.  I found that with my technique and the P92/P28 curves, I wasn't necessarily shooting too high over the net, but keeping my shots low enough for a rebound were often difficult.  Spent an hour out at BASE's shooting clinic and got that ironed out real good real quick.  Didn't have to get a new stick.

I took the plunge on the PM9, super reluctant due to how flat it is but shot power hasn't really been a problem for me so hopefully I'll have enough to compensate for the lack of a hook. The rest of my game could use work too. I scored a brand new 1X PM9 87 flex that Bauer sent him as a warranty replacement in the wrong hand. $115 shipped.

My question is, how much should I cut it? In P28/P88/P92 I cut exactly 1 inch off but given the different lie and standing sticks up to see how tall they are doesn't really work anymore should I be cutting MORE or cutting LESS off the stick if at all? 

22 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

Doesn't Crosby use something similar to a PM9? If it works for the best player in the world, it's gotta be good.

Just because Crosby can do miracles with absolutely no curve doesnt mean everyone can, for most people the pm9 is very hard to use when shooting. 

16 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I took the plunge on the PM9, super reluctant due to how flat it is but shot power hasn't really been a problem for me so hopefully I'll have enough to compensate for the lack of a hook. The rest of my game could use work too. I scored a brand new 1X PM9 87 flex that Bauer sent him as a warranty replacement in the wrong hand. $115 shipped.

My question is, how much should I cut it? In P28/P88/P92 I cut exactly 1 inch off but given the different lie and standing sticks up to see how tall they are doesn't really work anymore should I be cutting MORE or cutting LESS off the stick if at all? 

Start with it long and cut down progressively. It's a bit lower lie than a lot of those you've mentioned using recently. Easier to take a little more off than put a little more on.

As for the shooting thing, just another straight blade shooting monster is Kovalev. I've improved my shot immensely by trying to put myself through his little tutorial on shot power. In that video he's firing lasers and its with his more PM9-ish blade from before the toe hook took him over. I think it's a matter of feeling the "pocket" grip on the puck with the tip of the blade. That's the part that's tricky with the PM9, it's a slight curve so you've got to iron in the muscle memory on that grip.

5 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Just because Crosby can do miracles with absolutely no curve doesnt mean everyone can, for most people the pm9 is very hard to use when shooting. 

True. But you're just inverting the argument implicit in the original post mentioning Crosby: just because someone doesn't use an accentuated toe pocket blade doesn't mean they can't shoot hard and accurately from the toe. As another example, one of my teammates in high school, Jon, could fire wicked wrist shots with no warning with a PM9...but no one knows who that is so it's a worthless reference.

The other thing that's tough with the PM9 is its low lie. It's either a long stick for people or the toe of the blade gets in the way all the time. It's quite a bit lower than most other lies available at retail and has been for quite a while, barring a few exceptions that have also proven less popular: Warrior Smyth, Kremlin, etc...both of those being blades with more of a forgiving toe pocket to cup the puck. It could be then that the lie really is the stumbling factor and not the slight curve in the blade. That and it's not sexy off the shelf, unless you want to play like Larionov, or, perhaps C.

Yes, but it is much harder with the pm9 compared to something like the p92/p106, theres maybe a reason why noone uses the pm9 anymore, or barely...i dont remember seeing a pm9 being used for a very long time with my entourage and people i meet at the arenas.

So does the lower lie mean it will feel longer at the same length as a lie 6 or the other way around and how does this change what should be cut or kept or shot style? Other curves mentioned above I essentially use the toe to hold the puck in place and snap from mid blade. My puck marks extend throughout the blade. Slap shots I make contact mid blade. 

I just want to figure out how to get the most out of this pattern. I'm not really a band wagon jumper with what curves are used or not used anymore. I'm 30 so I grew up with these dying patterns. They seem to only be dying because youth is getting used to the new stuff.

Crosby uses the stupid short stick with this curve and lie 

6 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

So does the lower lie mean it will feel longer at the same length as a lie 6 or the other way around and how does this change what should be cut or kept or shot style? Other curves mentioned above I essentially use the toe to hold the puck in place and snap from mid blade. My puck marks extend throughout the blade. Slap shots I make contact mid blade. 

I just want to figure out how to get the most out of this pattern. I'm not really a band wagon jumper with what curves are used or not used anymore. I'm 30 so I grew up with these dying patterns. They seem to only be dying because youth is getting used to the new stuff.

Crosby uses the stupid short stick with this curve and lie 

A lower lie means you can keep the stick longer and have proper blade contact based upon your height. On the other hand, a higher lie may mean you have to cut more off the stick to have optimal blade contact given your height.

Ok so I might be fine keeping it full length. Ideally I want to learn to control the puck better, get more aggressive with my stick handling and be able to deceptively shoot off anywhere on that blade. I'm hoping because it's so flat it will quicken my release because the puck can come off hot from anywhere on the blade.