Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giraffe14

Skate depth question

Looking to get new skates, and I have a question about the importance of depth.  I understand that skates that are too shallow can cause crippling lacebite, so I would like to avoid that... 

Bauer Supremes fit my feet perfectly, except the depth.  I fail the pencil test, but not significantly so. 

Would the metatarsal guard on the 180's combined with a looser lacing pattern be enough to potentially avoid lacebite?  I skip the top eyelets on my current skates (RBZ 70's) and only tighten the uppermost portion of the laces anyway.  The tongues on my skates are pretty much shot, and I am wearing bunga pad sleeves as well as using the gel lacebite inserts on the tongues to prevent issues. 

I am wondering if a higher quality tongue would help distribute the lace pressure more evenly.  Would the otherwise perfect fit be enough to consider sacrificing depth? 

I have narrow heels and a high instep, so without going custom (or Graf) I have to compromise heel lock or depth.  I would rather not have to resort to Stable 26 socks if I can help it.  

Any insight is much appreciated. 

A metatarsal guard, loose lacing and skipping the top eyelet all assist in preventing lacebite. UNFORTUNATELY, it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later.  Depth is very important concerning proper fit.

I learned the hard way forcing myself into APX skates, and doing all the things to prevent lacebite, but in the end i ended up with horrible marble sized knots on the tops of my feet from it. It took MONTHS for the pain and knots to go away.

I see many people in the locker rooms with skates that fail the pencil test, and they never complain of lacebite. That's something I just don't understand.  

Can you try on the supremes and lace them up, do alot of bending and leaning forward in them? Your ankles and feet should tell you if you're headed for trouble. This is a real shame, because it sounds like you have a great fit otherwise...

Personally, I'd consider custom on the supreme. Bauer can move and change some things to add some depth in the skate that fits you almost perfectly.  I'm no expert on Custom ordering, but I did see that laceholes can be moved, stiffness changed, different tongues, etc...

16 hours ago, Zorlac said:

A metatarsal guard, loose lacing and skipping the top eyelet all assist in preventing lacebite. UNFORTUNATELY, it will rear it's ugly head sooner or later.  Depth is very important concerning proper fit.

I learned the hard way forcing myself into APX skates, and doing all the things to prevent lacebite, but in the end i ended up with horrible marble sized knots on the tops of my feet from it. It took MONTHS for the pain and knots to go away.

I see many people in the locker rooms with skates that fail the pencil test, and they never complain of lacebite. That's something I just don't understand.  

Can you try on the supremes and lace them up, do alot of bending and leaning forward in them? Your ankles and feet should tell you if you're headed for trouble. This is a real shame, because it sounds like you have a great fit otherwise...

Personally, I'd consider custom on the supreme. Bauer can move and change some things to add some depth in the skate that fits you almost perfectly.  I'm no expert on Custom ordering, but I did see that laceholes can be moved, stiffness changed, different tongues, etc...

Thanks for the reply, that is what I was afraid of.  I don't want to have to pony up $900+ for custom skates, but I also don't want to spend $500+ and end up not even being able to skate in them. 

On 6/6/2016 at 1:02 PM, Giraffe14 said:

Bauer Supremes fit my feet perfectly, except the depth.  I fail the pencil test, but not significantly so. 

I have narrow heels and a high instep, so without going custom (or Graf) I have to compromise heel lock or depth.  I would rather not have to resort to Stable 26 socks if I can help it.  

Not that different to my feet. I fail the pencil test in my apx2's and could not skate in them if I left them as they are, even with forsberg pads. I made my own eyelet extenders for a few $'s and this fixed the problem permanently. If you want to know how send me a pm.

This company makes them, http://www.greatsaves.org/, (called skate lace extenders),  for $35 and it is a cheap solution to something that can cripple you for a long time.

If you use these then you don't need to go the custom route and can buy any skate you want to without worrying about failing the pencil test.

I am in the same boat.  Narrow foot and heel plus high instep.  Try on a pair of jetspeed.  I got some and put in power feet to make toe box more snug.  Love them.

go down .5 or 1 from Bauer.

I'm going to be honest, you may want to try on some Jetspeed. They run just a little wider and could help give you that tiny bit of room to spread your foot to avoid going to a deeper boot. This may be enough to get you where you want to be without jumping into a Nexus, Tacks, or custom boot. I've dealt with lace bite. Let me tell you, it's the worst possible thing you can try to skate with. It really sucks.

Thanks everyone.  The lace extenders look interesting, although I would probably need them for the 3rd-5th eyelets from the top...  I will also take a second look at the Jetspeeds. 

The Ice Warehouse video review of the new Nexus skates mentions that they are a little narrower than previous years models, so I will try those on as well.