Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi, everybody. Things are great and I'm happy to be back on Modsquad. I have a new frame company called Fizix, and we have designed and engineered a completely new aluminum frame that will be Everything that Sprungs were plus Everything that was missing. Website coming soon. Pics as soon as I can get them up. WooHoo!

• Like 2

13585009_1079705288778487_20447261207436

I saw this on the FB page - it looks like an Aluminum version of the Sprungs. The Sprungs are great, but over time the area that holds the front arms can get worn down by friction, plus there's an occasional broken knuckle on the arms. Hopefully this would address these two issues. Although Aluminum can bend, whereas plastic either holds or breaks. They do look light and streamlined, but hopefully they're robust enough to resist bending.

• Like 1

So, besides being aluminum instead of plastic, there's a long list of improvements.

The spaces between the first and second wheels and between the third and fourth wheels has been reduced till they almost touch. This provides better sizing. We did this by making the action taller, which also makes it stiffer with quicker suspension response. And we dropped the body down onto the suspension so they are lower, also.

The arms are now wider at the pivot than at the wheel axle. This reduces arm deflection and torque. It also provides more space for stronger knuckles. And wider springs, so that forces are spread out better.

They will be faster and stiffer with quicker response. They will be more stable and much more durable. They'll weigh 215g VS 274g for the small.

Our objective is to make a frame that will blow the mind of any pro player. And everyone else, too, of course. Working prototypes soon.

Edited by Keith Longino
error
  • Like 1

This is the design for the working prototypes, which is the base design without the perforations. The holes add too much milling time and jump the cost way up. We're pretty sure we can make a production version with the same 215g weight as the perf version.

We'll have the first 3D printer prototype Monday. These are only about twenty percent more to make than the Sprungs so the price will be $200. Fizix will not do retail. Design, production, wholesale, licensing, and OEM. One boot company request to test, already. Fizix Machine Dogs will be the single most recognizable product in hockey. Part of its advanced functionality.

13627037_10208543049267463_5019853354141

Beyond the cost perspective, I think the design without the perforations looks like it'd be more durable and robust. I have a few questions:

• Are these going to be available in small, medium and large sizes (similar to the Sprungs in A6, A7 and A8) right off the bat or will it just be one size to start?
  • If they're going to be available in various sizes, are the chassis vs. skate size recommendations the same as Sprungs? eg. I wear 8ee makos with A6 Sprungs; so would I be a small in the Fizix chassis?
  • What will be the recommended wheel sizes for the various sizes? All 76mm for the small and then all 80mm for the medium and large sizes?
  • Are you saying the average consumer will not be able to buy these directly and they're only being sold to manufacturers?

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Beyond the cost perspective, I think the design without the perforations looks like it'd be more durable and robust. I have a few questions:

• Are these going to be available in small, medium and large sizes (similar to the Sprungs in A6, A7 and A8) right off the bat or will it just be one size to start?
  • If they're going to be available in various sizes, are the chassis vs. skate size recommendations the same as Sprungs? eg. I wear 8ee makos with A6 Sprungs; so would I be a small in the Fizix chassis?
  • What will be the recommended wheel sizes for the various sizes? All 76mm for the small and then all 80mm for the medium and large sizes?
  • Are you saying the average consumer will not be able to buy these directly and they're only being sold to manufacturers?

X SMALL 72mm 3-5

SMALL 76mm 5.5-7.5

MEDIUM 80mm 8-10

LARGE 80mm 10.5-13

The Medium wheelbase is a little shorter than the Sprung small. All sizes will fit better. Your 8s are Mediums like the pics.

They will be sold by retailers. We will not be competing with our clients. 

Any other questions welcome.

Thanks for all the answers. Hopefully there will be a few retailers in Canada that carry them as that will save on shipping costs ect. for us Canadians.

So it sounds like the mediums are a better fit than the smalls. Looks like I'll have to grab some 80mm wheels if I buy the medium Fizix when they're available, as right now I only have 76mm wheels to go with the A6 Sprungs. I'm sure the 76mm wheels will work (much like they would on an A7 Sprung), but if it's designed for all 80mm for maximum performance I'd at least want to try that setup.

• Like 1

Couple of questions:

If one is not based in the US or Canada, will there be any online shops stocking them?

What parts will be available?

Warranty?

One assumes the axles are set up for 608 bearings?

Are the mounting holes set up to match any other existing frames eg hilo or labeda spacings?

They will be available online. Don't know who yet. We are planning on good European distribution and representation.

All parts will be available and they will come with a warranty.

If the mount holes match anything, it's accidental. Most current frames have narrow minimal mount plates that don't support much of the sole. We used vintage frames with left and right mount plates for refrences.

Assuming your first release to market has the product pitched as an after market kit to replace existing frames on a boot, are you going to supply a mounting kit (say t-nuts and bolts or graf style mounts)?

My one big wish for this frame is that you would add a small lug to the outside and inside of each mounting hole. This would allow a user to cross drill a slot in the frame (unless this was done at manufacturing) allowing the frame to be repositioned on the boot after fitting (aka speed skating style of mounting or the holder on the MLX ice skate). 

Rivets dont hold well with slots in the mount plates, and the slots weaken the plates. 

Retailers may provide mount kits, but we won't. OEM and licensing are our primary aims, not conversion sales. The first two drive the third.

On 6/30/2016 at 8:52 PM, Keith Longino said:

Hi, everybody. Things are great and I'm happy to be back on Modsquad. I have a new frame company called Fizix, and we have designed and engineered a completely new aluminum frame that will be Everything that Sprungs were plus Everything that was missing. Website coming soon. Pics as soon as I can get them up. WooHoo!

Very cool, Keith! Glad to see you stuck with it! Do you have the wheel base measurements, by chance (i.e. from the front of the front wheel to the back of the rear wheel)? I wear size 6.5 skates, and the 72mm version is catching my interest! I loved the originals, the wheel base was just too long for me. Even the Mission Hi-Lo is still too long, wheelbase wise. I have been trying to find some old 72-80 HiLo frames with no luck. That grip you got with the Sprungs was unreal, though. I had to use 78A wheels and STILL tore them up (at 155lbs back in the day). 

Would 3-D printing also mean you would be able to alter the pitch of the base (i.e. make the frame so it would pitch someone more forward)?

Hope all is well!

Edited by kovalchuk71

Thanks. The 3D printed prototypes are just to make sure everything fits and moves like it's supposed to. The working prototypes are CNCd from extruded blocks.

As for the pitch, they have the most pitch in the biz. More than early hi-los, more than sprungs.

And the new 76mm small will be dead on for your 6.5s. The wheelbase is 9.125". Front to back wheel edge is 12.125".

Edited by Keith Longino
wrong size
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2016 at 8:32 PM, Keith Longino said:

Thanks. The 3D printed prototypes are just to make sure everything fits and moves like it's supposed to. The working prototypes are CNCd from extruded blocks.

As for the pitch, they have the most pitch in the biz. More than early hi-los, more than sprungs.

And the new 76mm small will be dead on for your 6.5s. The wheelbase is 9.125". Front to back wheel edge is 12.125".

Will they come in an anodized black color?

Every color we've tried looks fantastic. Other than sticking a Fizix logo on, however, we're leaving the flash for later. For the working prototypes, anodizing is more expensive and not a function.

Unlike Sprungs, you will be able to paint these any color you want. With sheet metal like this, custom paint jobs will be radical.

We're putting the printed prototype together right now. Things fit together like they're supposed to. Toasted alien foot, but beautiful. Photos Friday or Saturday.

13769622_10208621378985657_2673368540932

13691003_10208621378665649_1103018550665

13698264_10208621377985632_9168193179808

13730830_10208621527149361_7607058995882

Here's the printed prototype. It looks like grosgrain silk. All of the action lines up and works perfectly. There is much more suspension travel than the Sprungs with a lot more snap.

The boot kiss is excellent as is the fit. We already started on our changes and when we're done we'll make one more printed prototype to double check everything, then the aluminum prototypes.

They are going to WORK.

• Like 2

Vacations endured and we're back on it. Plenty of time spent evaluating the 3D printout. FREAKY. Yep that's the word. Reptilile/Mongoose/Cat/Dog/Something Live Under Your Foot That Will Take Care Of You.

We hope to have our changes done by the end of next week, and the new printout the following week. Then it's the aluminum prototypes.

Three boot companies are waiting for them.

The newest, best designed and named conventional frames will not be competitive. FREAKY is in, adequate is on the way out.

Pictures as we have them.

On 10/11/2016 at 1:05 AM, kovalchuk71 said:

Any updates? It's been almost two months.

Would love to hear any kind of information or possible release date. Im due to buy a new Sprung chassis soon if these don't come out!

Finally another update on fb! Magnesium chassis in the works it seems like.

“When they're done they will be a bit more than an ounce lighter than A7s with all hardware.” -Keith

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 1:22 PM, datsvechkin said:

Finally another update on fb! Magnesium chassis in the works it seems like.

“When they're done they will be a bit more than an ounce lighter than A7s with all hardware.” -Keith

He needed to get these out before marsblade launches the R1, now his definitely going to need back up from one of the hockey companies.