Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Total Hockey Files Bankruptcy

I think there are several factors that led to the demise of the smaller local hockey store, including product cycles that are WAY too fast for a brick and mortar inventory system, and the 20% discount world of big box stores, but I think the small store's (generally speaking, not all stores) response to the advent of online stores played a serious role in contributing to their demise. 

To put this in perspective, I think I need to describe what my experience was going to buy skates about 15 years ago.  I drove about 20 minutes to my local store, sat down, and tried on probably 5-7 pairs of skates.  I talked to the owner about his thoughts on all the models.  He would tell me honestly any issues or strengths he'd seen with previous purchases of a particular brand or model.  I'd make a choice based on the comfort of the skate and the feedback they gave me, pay for the skate, and I'd get my first bake and sharpen covered.  If I had fit issues and needed a second bake or a boot punch, they'd cover it.  If a rivet or eyelet came loose, it would be replaced for free.

Fast forward 5 years.  When I go in the store, the kid who's fitting me seems disinterested and unknowledgeable.  They don't know anything about the different skates but tell me the Vapor is lighter than anything else out there.  I tell them my budget and they push me to go above it.  "Fitting" is putting my foot in a Brannock device and then just giving me a stack of boxes to try on.  Sharpening is a separate charge.  Baking is a separate charge. Rivets cost $2 a pop.  $3 for copper. 

The owner of the store was still great, and, when he was there, he did everything the way he used to for me.  But he'd delegated to kids who didn't know/care about customer service.  He's given them rules to use for these different services that really shouldn't apply to skates bought in store.  It does NOT cost you $30 to run a small oven at a low temperature for 10 minutes.  Particularly when I just bought full price skates that you're getting a good margin on.

The response of this store, and several others, was to make up the competitive disadvantage that they had versus online retailers by nickel and diming players.  And the players left.

Frankly, if the stores had done this ONLY for customers who bought product elsewhere but brought it in for different services, I would have been more than okay with it.  If you'd rather save a few bucks than support the guy around the corner, then that's your call and I won't condemn anyone for it, but you can't expect the guy running the store to do you any favors in that situation.  But they did it across the board.  Ultimately, I started to buy skates online because I felt 1) the service at the store was not a good enough value to merit the increase in cost, and 2) the store failed to demonstrate to me that they valued my business.

I got so used to this nickel and dime attitude that I was truly shocked when I walked into a Total Hockey last year and they replaced two loose rivets for me for free.  I was shocked when my first bake and sharpen were on the house.  I couldn't believe that they would replace my snapped helmet hardware at no cost.  I still wasn't thrilled with the fitting assistance, but at least I did not feel that the employees were trying to squeeze every last nickel out of me.  It's ridiculous to think that these minor, low cost services were what swayed me, but they did.

I also wondered why they did it.  The skates and helmet I had repaired were not purchased at TH.  Ultimately, I ended up going back to TH to buy skates because of the good experience, but I'm not sure that most people would do the same.

I think this was a minor hole in the TH business model that pales in comparison to their overexpansion and use of storefronts with way too much retail space, but I think it was a hole nonetheless.  While THs prices were competitive, I don't know that I ever saw them have better prices than some of the major online retailers.  I firmly believe that there were a number of people who went to TH to get fitted, left, bought at a lower price online, and brought the skates back to be baked for free.

The end of this for me comes down to how to "fix" the brick and mortar store model.

The problems to me seem to be the following:

1) Fast product cycle turnover and the need to stock a wide variety of sizes, flexes, patterns, etc. in each model.

2) Having to buy in sufficient quantity to get a shipping discount good enough to make sustainable margins

3) Having to have a storefront large enough to fit all this inventory.

The solution, to me, seems to be a co-op of sorts.  Here's what I envision.

1) Smaller hockey retailers merge buying power and create a purchasing company, with each shop as a shareholder, to stock some low-rent warehouse in the middle of nowhere with tons of product.  Since they are now buying for several stores across the country, they can get bulk and shipping discounts that were previously unavailable when they were simply stocking their own shelves.

2) Actual storefronts shrink in both physical size and on-site inventory.  The brick and mortar location becomes more of an interface than a store.  Think Apple store.  Everything's on display for you to touch and play around with, but the product you end up receiving is usually ordered online and shipped to you a few days later. There's a model of each stick/skate/glove available for you to try out, but you do not leave the store with the item, and while there's an example of each pattern and each model for you to pick up and hold, that particular stick stays at the store.

3) Keep 1 pair of every skate model in each size available in the (much smaller) stock room.  You have enough for everyone to try on, and you're not stuck with massive quantities of old product that you can't sell when a new model is inevitably introduced.  When you find a pair that fits, the store places an order for you, which is delivered from the warehouse to the store or the customer's address.

4) Deposit for fitting.  $20 (or some other number that is proven to be low enough that people will pay it and high enough to protect your profit margin from vultures).  If you buy a pair, it is applied against the total cost of the skates. If you don't, the store keeps the deposit. 

5) Loyalty card provided on purchase that gives you free servicing of rivets, eyelets, and free baking for the life of the skate. Voucher for 10 (or some other number that is statistically optimizes business generation while reducing cost) free sharpenings. Keep them coming back.

These stores would cost less to lease, operate and staff, would provide a better experience to the customer because a particular model/size would never be "out of stock," and would drastically reduce the problem of overstocking old inventory.  They'd also be far less cluttered and more visually appealing.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/criticisms of the model.  Certainly it would take a lot of coordination, but it does not seem impossible.  I admit that there's something to be said for people wanting to walk into a store and walk out with gear in their hands, but I think if the retailer provided enough reasons (e.g. free services with some kind of loyalty card that you get when buying the gear), people would like it and come aboard. 

It goes without saying, but best wishes to JR in this transitional phase.

EDIT: It's been about three years since I learned antitrust law, but I am concerned that there could be an appearance of non-competitive practices between competing retailers.  Thinking of the Topco case, but again its been 3 years.  If anyone has some narrower insight on the legal implications that'd be great.

I personally haven't ever experienced a local store. Aside from the pro shops in the rinks that have almost nothing in them, the only option for me is Monkey and Giant. And even then, half the time I drive all the way up there and they don't have my size in what I was looking for. So I just stopped going.

I started just buying two of everything I wasn't sure of size on online, and shipping back the one that didn't fit. Of course that works a lot better at a place like Zappos where it's free shipping both ways (I usually buy 5-8 pairs of shoes at a time to try on at home). The free overnight shipping from IW and discount means even if I have to ship it back it still ends up being cheaper, and I got the luxury of getting to try on at home (and wear for hours). 

So for me, despite not ever having been in a small shop before, it was actually in-store stock that pushed me online, and convenience kept me there.

That said, usually I'll just buy from wherever has what I'm looking for (eg. Total Goalie's SMU Warrior sticks that I need to buy a couple more of before they're gone).

Does this have ANYTHING to do with what's going on with TH? I have no idea. Maybe, maybe not. But it seems we're all chiming in on our opinion about the decline of small local shops so I guess it's related, in context.

1 hour ago, jonesy9020 said:

The problems to me seem to be the following:

1) Fast product cycle turnover and the need to stock a wide variety of sizes, flexes, patterns, etc. in each model.

2) Having to buy in sufficient quantity to get a shipping discount good enough to make sustainable margins

3) Having to have a storefront large enough to fit all this inventory.

The solution, to me, seems to be a co-op of sorts.  Here's what I envision.

1) Smaller hockey retailers merge buying power and create a purchasing company, with each shop as a shareholder, to stock some low-rent warehouse in the middle of nowhere with tons of product.  Since they are now buying for several stores across the country, they can get bulk and shipping discounts that were previously unavailable when they were simply stocking their own shelves.

2) Actual storefronts shrink in both physical size and on-site inventory.  The brick and mortar location becomes more of an interface than a store.  Think Apple store.  Everything's on display for you to touch and play around with, but the product you end up receiving is usually ordered online and shipped to you a few days later. There's a model of each stick/skate/glove available for you to try out, but you do not leave the store with the item, and while there's an example of each pattern and each model for you to pick up and hold, that particular stick stays at the store.

3) Keep 1 pair of every skate model in each size available in the (much smaller) stock room.  You have enough for everyone to try on, and you're not stuck with massive quantities of old product that you can't sell when a new model is inevitably introduced.  When you find a pair that fits, the store places an order for you, which is delivered from the warehouse to the store or the customer's address.

4) Deposit for fitting.  $20 (or some other number that is proven to be low enough that people will pay it and high enough to protect your profit margin from vultures).  If you buy a pair, it is applied against the total cost of the skates. If you don't, the store keeps the deposit. 

5) Loyalty card provided on purchase that gives you free servicing of rivets, eyelets, and free baking for the life of the skate. Voucher for 10 (or some other number that is statistically optimizes business generation while reducing cost) free sharpenings. Keep them coming back.

These stores would cost less to lease, operate and staff, would provide a better experience to the customer because a particular model/size would never be "out of stock," and would drastically reduce the problem of overstocking old inventory.  They'd also be far less cluttered and more visually appealing.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/criticisms of the model.  Certainly it would take a lot of coordination, but it does not seem impossible.  I admit that there's something to be said for people wanting to walk into a store and walk out with gear in their hands, but I think if the retailer provided enough reasons (e.g. free services with some kind of loyalty card that you get when buying the gear), people would like it and come aboard. 

Definitely an interesting idea. Here is my questions, and this isn't knocking the idea at all- I'm curious to see what people think. 

1. Why would a customer come to this store if they can purchase the item from a competitor without having to wait?  

2. If a customer really wants something that isn't readily available (for instance, an obscure pattern stores in the area aren't carrying) Is that customer going to come to you to order it, or are they going to know enough about the product that they will just order it from somewhere without looking at it first?

The thing is, a lot of people like the "big box" experience specifically because they have a ton of inventory. Customers will try on five different pairs of the same glove....because they can. And for whatever reason, they like doing so.

All of the freebies and giveaways are great, but ultimately, are you getting a return on that? Are people going to continue shopping with you specifically for that freebie, or will they leave you to buy something for 10 bucks cheaper when the time comes? Customer loyalty is really fickle sometimes.  

Also, you will be out of stock on things at some point in time. You will also overbuy from time to time. It's just the cost of doing business at that level. Obviously, you minimize this to the best of your ability, but short of a crystal ball- it's going to happen.  

This model has a lot of advantages for the retailer, but I'm not sure it offers anything for the customer that would make it work. 

Interesting ideas and some random thoughts from the old guy that has done this forever: I feel and it's obvious that the traditional brick and mortar mom and pop LHS model is broken. I worked 23 years in  that setting for a family that has a sporting goods pedigree going back to the 1940s in NYC at MSG. The catalog business in the 80s had an impact on the LHS in certain ways but the catalogs were not what the internet is today. Two different animals altogether in terms of their effect on the LHS. I do feel that the wheels were set in motion in the 90s when the big box Sports Authority formula was brought to the sporting goods market. Service was sacrificed for price and consumers were only too happy to make that trade. It effected all types of sporting goods retailers, including specialty sport shops like a LHS. Often times that first Learn to Play hockey equipment or skate purchase was then made at SA. Parents had no idea how to buy gear and the SA staff had no clue in fitting skates. The cycle was started. Over the next 10-15 years the online shopping experience developed. No need to rehash that history, everyone here knows it. Again, price was the driver for the consumer.

At the same time two important categories were having their price ceilings smashed and now looking back, maybe this has played a bigger factor in the demise of the LHS than I ever thought about before: skates and sticks. As the Vapor skates went north of $400, $500, and then $600 with Supreme too, skates just got seriously expensive. As consumers that is a lot of cash to drop on skates. Well for the LHS stocking a size run, that is a lot of cash tied up in inventory. As well, for example stocking 10 pair in a size run, you don't start turning a profit on a $600 skate until you have sold 7 pair. And add in the new $300 skate, $450 skate you have in inventory too. Uh-oh, what happened to inventory turns and return on investment? The other category of sticks is also an issue after further study. The good old $20-$25 wood Sher-Wood 5030 or 7030 has now been run out of your shop by the first $150 Easton Synergy in the late 90s/early 2000. We used to sell north of 3000 wood sticks in the pro shop in the early 2000. For  northern shops, double or triple that number. And one thing about buying a wood stick that is completely different than buying a OPS is that each wood stick in a dozen of the same model feels different. No two weights or balance in that dozen is exactly alike. You do have to feel the wood stick for balance and weight before choosing one to buy. On the other hand, generally most OPS in the model, say top end, feel the same! Most 1X Sr 87 flex P88 will feel alike. It's a safe purchase to make online. And one other thing about that wood vs OPS stick purchase at the LHS : a wood stick was often bought once a month, more or less. That necessary purchase brought you back to the LHS. Now buy some tape for your stick, get your skates sharpened, look at the gloves on the wall......$$$$ for the LHS. The OPS purchase can last for as long as you baby your stick and take care of it. Plus on the Jr OPS side, those peewees don't break sticks that often because they don't hack and slash the way their beer league dad does. More lost sales for the LHS in replacing Jr sticks during the season. This I have seen over the course of the seasons. Finally, like skates, stocking the OPS across Sr/ Int/ Jr, Flex #, blade patterns, left/ right, various price points and there goes some serious inventory $$ for the LHS. Now competing against online and the secondary Pro Stock market online, the deal just got tougher for the LHS.  These two product categories have played a role in the LHS surviving or not.

As for the vendor side, the glut of inventory product(new or on closeout lists) is overwhelming. The marketplace is stuffed with product and in a sport that honestly is not growing, this is a disaster. The pie never got bigger. The size of the slices of who got what is the only thing that changed in the last decade. As said before, these high end retail price points are just off the charts. When sharpening skates, I see more elite travel players in that second in line skate rather than the top.   The parents are holding off on going all the way to put the $$ towards other necessary travel hockey expenses: food, hotels, and tournament fees. I also see players wearing skates deep into the second season as long as they fit. Skates are not bought new because they broke down anymore. Skates are too well made now. There is value in that. However, skates are now bought simply because they no longer fit. So with PSG now beholden to shareowners, TH in Chapter 11, qualified guys on both sides of the aisle(reps and former shop employees) trying to find a way to earn a living in this business, the industry has some serious battles going forward. Buckle up your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

DS, your summary is correct. That same consumer who shopped by price only will suffer in the end.  They no longer will be able to sneak into their LHS to look, touch, feel, try on and ask questions before running home and buying online.  The only reason Monkey and the other online giants were able to survive and grow is because customers could use their LHS as a showroom for their online purchases. It's going to be real interesting to see how the market will work with no LHS's.

I will be very bummed if the Troy store closes, not only because of its implications with JR, but also because having Total in this area has definitely been a breathe of fresh air.

The store is always so clean, organized, easy to get stuff pulled in store, fairly consistent sharpenings (especially the chance occasions i catch a sharpening when JR is behind the wheel). Walking into a Total vs a Peranis or BR has been a complete joy. If it were closer to my home, itd be the only store id frequent.

I try to buy about 80 percent or more at my LHS just because i value their service and presence in the community. Usually this means TH but sometimes Peranis and even the chance clearance deal at BR. The other 20% is either an amazing deal, or something i cant find in stores. I wont fret about a 10$ savings of something online, especially when you take into account i can bring home the exact item that i touch.

51 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

There are going to be a lot of people bitching about restocking/return shipping fees.

I bought a motorcycle helmet online ( wasn't avail in my area). I used the sizing guide, had to send 2 back before the 3rd one fit. Ouch on shipping charges.

6 hours ago, jimmy said:

DS, your summary is correct. That same consumer who shopped by price only will suffer in the end.  They no longer will be able to sneak into their LHS to look, touch, feel, try on and ask questions before running home and buying online.  The only reason Monkey and the other online giants were able to survive and grow is because customers could use their LHS as a showroom for their online purchases. It's going to be real interesting to see how the market will work with no LHS's.

3 hours ago, chippa13 said:

There are going to be a lot of people bitching about restocking/return shipping fees.

The simple answer is that the online will either have to;

1- Offer free return shipping (most will hold off on this due to the cost but all it takes is for one retailer to do this when LHS are very limited & they will dominate market share over time)

2- Rely on the manufacturers to have "stores" to allow consumers to try on the gear (Bauer is already testing this with OTM)

Fact is what's happening in hockey isn't some new phenomena, most every retail industry is feeling the heat from the internet & retailer consolidation. The main difference with hockey is that the manufactures are trying to suck more money out of a well that is shrinking & doing so at the expense of the long term market. Once the final major players emerge from market consolidation, they will have the leverage over Bauer, CCM, etc. because who else are they going to sell to? The LHS will either be extinct or have no capital to invest in inventory & selling direct to the consumer would require a heavy investment in IT & logistics infrastructure & would negatively impact their financial model (building inventory & selling 1 at a time to end users vs building inventory & shipping in bulk to retailers). When this happens, we might see a complete change in the hockey market for better or worse but only time will tell

Possibly though the LHS needs to adapt to survive, rather than maintain the business model that worked great vefore the big box e-tailer?

For instance, Jonesy9020 mentioned his LHS was now charging to bake and sharpen skates IMMEDIATELY AFTER you just purchased them from their store? That's fucking ridiculous. I would never charge to bake someone's skates if they just bought them from me. The $.10 in electrical and ~$.20 in depreciation it costs to bake a pair of skates is not worth making a profit of $19.70 to bake the skates of someone who took their time to drive to my store and let me sell them skates. Now if someone brings in skates from the internet that needs a bake, hell yes I am charging them that and $15 for the first sharpening. Would never think of charging them for that first sharpening either, that's ridiculous. I usually charge for rivets and eyelits if they're older skates, but not on a pair that was bought from me within the last year. Never charge for buckles or clips or screws, those things cost pennies. The amount of money people have put in the scholarship fund we have on the counter when I refuse to charge them for a buckle more than makes up for the $50 I've lost over the last 5 years in giving away screws and buckles. 

As for pricing and stocking and all of that fun stuff, I am envious of stores that move that kind of product at full price. I WISH we could, but we can't. If we sold at full price we'd have to cut top-end stick sales down by 50% and top-end skates sales by probably 75%. Due to Minnesota competition, we don't charge full retail on top end skates or sticks anymore. There is just no way we could move our inventory if we did. Take 10% off and you'd be surprised how much you can move comparatively to full retail. Simple economics, better to sell 50 of something at a lower profit in a quicker time than sell 10 of them in a longer time at a higher profit. Further since we do a lot in sales in that department, we're able to have stock of those sizes. If I only sold 10 pairs of top-end skates a year I'd only stock 8 through 9 and order in  the rest of the skates for customers who are loyal enough to wait. People look for the deal and loyalty is not as popular as it used to be back in the day. And as for the retailers who charge even above MAP on top end sticks or high-end skates... that's insane. Your repeat sales will be practically zero and your reputation will become the store with overpriced shit, its a miracle you're still in business if you still are. I was in a store a couple years ago when the RS had just came out and they were still trying to sell the S19 for $299.99.... USD...MAP was $250 originally, and then Easton marked it down to $230 MAP. They still had over a dozen of them in-stock, the year before I was there and they had about 16. So they sold 4 sticks maybe over a year? The RS was MAP'd at $250, which they also had for $300. I guess if you really want to sucker someone and they're that desperate, go for it. It was obvious they were moving their inventory though. It wasn't a surprise to me that last year they closed down, I think the bigger surprise was that they were still in business. 

And as for seeing lost sales or the like, I rarely - rarely see lost current stock sales. We lose maybe 20 a year for our local market, half of which are Dick's/SA specials and the other half are random skates. However, we lose probably 100 pairs a year of old stock skate sales, and every year this number increases and increases. Its getting to the point where we are considering upping the new non-store bought bake and sharpen purchase due to how many more we're seeing. 5 years ago we barely saw clearance skates come in, now I see them a lot during the summer. 

Point I am getting at though is you can't screw over the customer anymore. That may have worked back in the day when you were the only option for someone, THEE only option unless they wanted to drive hours away. Today's market is all price driven, and yes there is a lot of loyalty still out there, but you can't expect the customer to pay 10-20+% higher for a product when you aren't the only one selling them. Nickle and dimeing customers works for short term gains, but long term it leads to failure.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:05 AM, laserrobottime said:

I just got two bankruptcy notices in the mail from TH -- I bought a pair of skates from them once. Unsure why I'd receive a creditor notice of default...

Customers with gift card balances, prepaid sharpening cards or Breakaway rewards accounts are getting the notice. 

All one has to do is look at companies like Zappos or Amazon (Prime, specifically). Catering to the lazy is the path to success. Free quick shipping, free returns, etc. Whatever makes it easy for somebody to just buy online without having to wait and without fear of buying the wrong size.

I don't know how to necessarily apply this to the hockey world, though.

It was probably a long time in the making. But whenever I went to TH and tried some stuff out and they didn't have the exact specs I wanted in stock, I would tell them thank you for the help and asked if they got commission.

That way I could help the employee that helped me.

They just looked at me with a blank stare and just went "We don't get anything. Just order it online".   

Maybe it's just symptomatic of the Denver stores. But to me, that's a glaring sign of a toxic corporate culture that doesn't treat their employees well. 

15 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

It was probably a long time in the making. But whenever I went to TH and tried some stuff out and they didn't have the exact specs I wanted in stock, I would tell them thank you for the help and asked if they got commission.

That way I could help the employee that helped me.

They just looked at me with a blank stare and just went "We don't get anything. Just order it online".   

Maybe it's just symptomatic of the Denver stores. But to me, that's a glaring sign of a toxic corporate culture that doesn't treat their employees well. 

I just bought a pair of skates from one of my local Total Hockey stores and I can tell you it was great experience.  In about 2 hours, I was able to try on 2 or 3 different models from both Bauer and CCM.  The baking and sharpening was free.  This is convenience that only brick and mortar stores can provide.  The employees were knowledgeable and patient.  This has been my experience with all 3 St. Louis stores.  In fact, Joe from Custom Skateworks is (was?) a TH employee.  Joe met me at a local TH of my choice and punched out the toe caps in my vapors a few years ago using one of his awesome boot punch machines.  He spent almost an hour working with me and then refused to charge me.

TH also sponsored the First Stride program which allowed local kids including my daughter to try hockey for the first time on Scottrade Center's ice.  We will both never forget that experience and TH provided all the gear for free.

So, from my experience there is no evidence of a "toxic corporate culture" at TH.  Quite the opposite.

Total hockey has been nothing but an asset to local hockey here in St. Louis and I'm quite upset that there exists the possibility of them going out of business.

That's good to hear. They were all always super helpful at the ones by me, but after everything it seemed like they didn't actually care about making a sale. Just seemed weird.

I don't think it helps that TH carries so much product that doesn't directly pertain to playing hockey.

The clothes, all of the souvenir junk, books, dvd's, nich'e items, NHL apparel. The training items - That sklz brand that focuses on exercises ladders, parachutes, general training. Then the various hockey related training items like the fast hands and pass master type stuff that is no doubt helpful to own, but very few people are buying those things at their price points. Honestly, run your finger across the boxes next time you're in total hockey, I guarantee you there's a layer of dust. 

That stuff sits around in these stores. I can't say that they wouldn't be in the same situation if it wasn't but I know they would absolutely be better off.

The stores should be smaller with a direct focus on equipment. 

There aren't many people who are going to the hockey store to buy an outfit. There's not a lot of people who go to the store, drop money on equipment - then feel inclined to drop an extra $40 for a Bauer t-shirt. 

Re: Commission

Do most hockey shops offer commission?  The half dozen or so shops I've talked to in the Pittsburgh and the Boston area aren't commission based. "Toxic culture" might be a strong term to throw around if the practice is industry standard. 

Personally, I'd much rather have someone trying to get me in the right skate, than the most expensive one. Between two evils, I'd rather deal with a lazy sullen teenager than sleazy sales person trying to maximize commission. 

Good point. The service they provide is essentially aligned with sales. I have no idea if it's a common practice amongst hockey stores. So maybe the choice of words was a little harsh. 

It's just weird they were so engaged and helpful with the products and their pros and cons and when it came time to make their company some money they basically went "meh, buy it somewhere else".

9 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

I don't think it helps that TH carries so much product that doesn't directly pertain to playing hockey.

The clothes, all of the souvenir junk, books, dvd's, nich'e items, NHL apparel. The training items - That sklz brand that focuses on exercises ladders, parachutes, general training. Then the various hockey related training items like the fast hands and pass master type stuff that is no doubt helpful to own, but very few people are buying those things at their price points. Honestly, run your finger across the boxes next time you're in total hockey, I guarantee you there's a layer of dust. 

That stuff sits around in these stores. I can't say that they wouldn't be in the same situation if it wasn't but I know they would absolutely be better off.

There aren't many people who are going to the hockey store to buy an outfit. There's not a lot of people who go to the store, drop money on equipment - then feel inclined to drop an extra $40 for a Bauer t-shirt. 

While accessories may seem useless to you, actually they sell better than equipment and bring it higher margins than equipment.  Their value doesnt go down as they are not discontinued every year by new models, etc.  You never lose money on accessories.  Funny, tournement at our rink last weekend, I finally sold a Toy plastic Harley with Penguins trim and logo to a visiting Penn family. Yes a novelty, but I made more on that than I did on a pair of elbow pads.  Now, if Toronto could only win a cup, I could get rid of some of their branded stuff I've had around for a decade or more. :-)

9 hours ago, Healthyscratch said:

The smart LHS knows he can only sell you one pair of shoulder pads or shin pads every year or so. The smart LHS also knows that the Hockey Mom is the one that will buy a few Bauer or CCM t-shirts  or a hoody for Christmas for gifts. The smart LHS has just made full markup on apparel which is a lot better than that one pair of shoulder pads.

5 hours ago, jimmy said:

While accessories may seem useless to you, actually they sell better than equipment and bring it higher margins than equipment.  Their value doesnt go down as they are not discontinued every year by new models, etc.  You never lose money on accessories.  Funny, tournement at our rink last weekend, I finally sold a Toy plastic Harley with Penguins trim and logo to a visiting Penn family. Yes a novelty, but I made more on that than I did on a pair of elbow pads.  Now, if Toronto could only win a cup, I could get rid of some of their branded stuff I've had around for a decade or more. :-)

With a somewhat regular tournament schedule I'm convinced I could keep a store open on mini sticks and nets. :P

On 7/8/2016 at 6:31 PM, boo10 said:

The Hockey industry is being killed be the same thing that eventually kills every industry, the unrelenting drive to increase share price.  Continued growth with no ceiling is a unicorn that every CEO chases to the eventual death of the business.  Of course they walk away rich men, leaving devastation in their wake.

^THIS^ a thousand times this.   only thing you forgot was the CEO wants to do the same thing over and over once it starts making $$.  Problem is, the market is always changing, and they're just looking at their bank statements and not trends until its too late.   once you've built a aircraft carrier from a speed boat its tough to change course quickly.